For The Love Of Pets!

Yellow watchman goby.
Had one for about 6+yrs with no issues, so i was hoping she would be welcoming back an old friend…
I have a small 5gal section under the tank for isolation, so i can keep it fed well, then reintroduce it into the main tank with a next new fish, to spread the fury a bit.

7 Likes

@Stircrayzy
I know you know this, we used to keep a floating net confinement in the main tank to protect babies etc. Introduction that way might work. It looks to me that mama considers the goby as a food source.

2 Likes

I made a hang on box as an isolation zone, but misplaced it through the years.
I find with the nets, that mean fish will still just bite right through. Then the fish in the nets always jump out.

1 Like

Really, I never would have guessed.
Maybe try this counter-measure. The mama like a bass will freak out if you hit the laser light in front of it, a red laser pointer. The small penlight size will do. Every time it makes a run at the goby hit in front of it. It will freak it out (maybe) and maybe it might settle down some.
Just a radical thought, can’t hurt unless of course you nail it in the eye to often and blind it. :flushed:

3 Likes

Tried a laser, no effect… ill try to get a video later.
I keep the laser by the tank so i can point out creatures i find to the kids. (And vice versa) Live Reef tanks are full of life, and what keeps me in the hobby. I have more invertebrates than fish.
Heres “candy cane” my 6yo names everything.

9 Likes

Is that a peppermint shrimp?

4 Likes

Wow, to bad it didn’t work out.
You have the coolest tank/hobby there.
I would love to get a tank again some day, fresh water of course, limits my options but way simple.
Cheers,

4 Likes

Coral banded shrimp.
Had peppermints for a while, but they only ate aiptasia anemones and i couldnt catch them and return before they starved out.

@Moosecall , thanks, ive had the internals of this tank wet and salty since about 2001. I have a much more elaborated account of it on another forum.
http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/joshs-superreef-65.78992/
Now that im looking back through those neglected threads, i think this girl is about 11 yrs old now, which is about how long my original clowns lived.

I also love freshwater tanks, but had to take my last one down to make space for the last few kids running space.
@Chris19d has the best freshwater setup here .

7 Likes

Why didn’t I think of this when I lived on my sailboat for 13 years! :rooster: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Max and I watching some Saturday afternoon NFL playoff football. Very cold today.

15 Likes

Eat the chicken first !

4 Likes

12 Likes

Haven’t had any pets in a while, but when we did, we had these little dudes. A lot of fun, they’re like little dogs!

10 Likes

I actually found one in the weeds of my backyard 2 years ago when we bought the place. Asked around, and of course none of the adults knew anything about it…

still trying to find someone to take him as my wife is mildly allergic and the shelters here “don’t take rodents”.
We call him Fat Tony aka “The skinny Guinea (pig)”

12 Likes

12 Likes

See if there’s a guinea pig or small animal rescue near you - they’re a little more specialized to care for them and find them homes.
Also to note - guinea pigs while classed as rodents are actually closer to rabbits in some areas than to mice/rats/etc. No other rodent species gives birth to fully functional young, they all give birth to pinkys, baby giunea pigs pop out with a full coat, teeth & nails, open eyes and can eat solid food. Neat little creatures!

9 Likes

Most of the other rescue centers here are for birds or reptiles. Found a chinchilla breeder who’s supposedly asking around, but that was about 2 weeks ago. The county wouldn’t even take him :person_shrugging:. Like you said though, they are cute lil’ buggers!

5 Likes

9 Likes

It calms her down when she smells my feet…I love a cheap date…:scream::sunglasses::cat2:

9 Likes

They probably smell like Tuna to her ! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

5 Likes