M*CARBO Brotherhood

Flying with guns

I’m gonna be flying to Montana soon (Glacier National Park) and was considering bringing my Shield .40 for carry. It’s not the ideal gun for theoretical angry beasties, but it’s the most practical to concealed carry while hiking and such for several days.

Anyways, having not flown with a firearm I figured I’d check for any tips y’all might have. I was gonna get a basic Pelican handgun case and solid locks (and a backup set incase TSA decides to cut the first). Ammo separate, gun unloaded and flagged.

RTIC is selling their handgun cases super cheap right now but supposedly the holes for padlocks are a bit small. Pelican also has their Vault line that’s slightly cheaper. Anyone have experience locking either?

Also open to any general recommendations or tips.

5 Likes

the last time i went out to the Salt river canyon I shipped mine via a buddy that had a FFL to another friend that i had at the destination that had a FFL. they are a couple lil hoops to jump thru but it was easy. shipped sidearm, 3 knives, holsters sheaths and 150 rnds of ammo in magazines in a large pelican lock box. leave a week before i go, and ships out the day i leave. no muss no fuss. Ive shipped rifles that way as well.

6 Likes

I would get or print out a copy of the T.S.A. regulations for shipment of firearms. Get the rules for the airline you will be using also. Keep them with your firearm case. You never know when you’ll run into a mentally challenged employee and have to explain it to them.

5 Likes

check airline and TSA.
Pelican is a nice case, Each airport has different guidelines.
I packed my ammo in the same case with mags but mags were kept unloaded.

6 Likes

have a safe and successful trip buddy @TheThreeLaws

4 Likes

Say “I want to declare a firearm” not
“I have a gun”!

The curbside skycaps can’t take the luggage with firearm, that goes through the ticket counter.

They will ask a few questions. I put my pistol in 1 locked container and mags and ammo in another.
Then both in a suitcase.

First time the airport separated my bag with pistol and picked it up separately from my luggage. 2nd time it was altogether with regular luggage.

4th time we missed the flight because of TSA lines and luggage was home awaiting our return.

I would suggest you take it in the baggage claim office and tell them you want to check the bag before you leave to assure the firearm is still in its container.

6 Likes