Fixing a damaged AAC suppressor - not so easy

Note the ding in the end cap of this AAC 7.62 suppressor. The short story is it took a baffle hit, a round nicking the baffles and then the outer shell on its way out. I believe the proprietary AAC mount is to blame. I only shot this can on one high quality bolt action 308 rifle. But there’s some possibility it could have been defective ammo. I was not shooting cheap reloads or bargain basement ammo in that rifle. Match grade only.

This particular model, like a lot of others in its class is sealed. You can’t open it up.

AAC went out of business when Remington declared bankruptcy. The company who bought what was left of AAC will not honor any product made by the original company. They do repairs for a fee but dont tell you what that fee is. They also add in the fine print that if they determine the unit unrepairable, you can buy an equivalent model for half price. Except they won’t transfer the S/N and you have to pay for a stamp and wait for BATFE to process it. Often a nine months to a year. Screw that. I’d rather just buy a replacement in that case. From someone other than AAC.

New AAC is very upfront about not giving a rats ass about anyone who bought a suppressor from the former Remington-owned AAC. Fine. The new owners are never going to see a nickel of my money.

The good news is I found a shop in Colorado who re-cores suppressors. They can also cut off the proprietary mount and replace it with an Omega/Bravo type mount - which a lot of suppressors utilize.
They will repair it and send it back to me. There’s a long wait list to get that done but it’s half the time required to get a new stamp. I’m now in the queue.

There’s a lot of competition in the suppressor market. The people that bought AAC as part of Remington’s bankruptcy proceeding must have rocks in their head. The original AAC was a popular brand. The new management chose not only to ignore their base but go an extra mile to piss them off. Bad move. It would have been a lot smarter to reach out to owners of original AAC cans. Suppressors all need maintenance and they wear out. For me and others, they chose to burn the bridge.

Perhaps the new CEO is French. Because he is certainly a Dumas.

4 Likes

So you dont need another stamp to have one rebuilt? Are there requirements if you discard a
suppressor or blow it up?

If you replace your suppressor do you go through the registration process?
As much as I would like to have one, I can not see spending $200 +/- for a stamp, wait 6-12 months then spend $400 or more to buy the can. Probably why the process was designed that way.

And each suppressor is the same process’s over and over?

1 Like

I believe there’s a process to properly dispose of a suppressor that involves proving to the ATF that it’s no longer in use. And unfortunately, you do have to go through the same process per suppressor. And even if you buy multiple suppressors and pay your tax stamps at the same time, there’s no guarantee they’ll all get processed in the same time period. My brother got lucky, he bought 2 cans at the same time and his tax stamps cleared on the same day.

4 Likes

@cico7 @Savage636

Yes. There’s a disposal process. You can’t just toss it.

A suppressor can be re-cored or otherwise repaired without a new stamp. But if the outer tube with the serial number cannot be saved, then it’s game over. You have to properly dispose of it according to ATF rules. New stamp, long wait if you replace it. The stamp is tied to the S/N.

The NFA rules are you either cut it up with a torch or crush it. Then send a letter to NFA/BATFE declaring it destroyed. They note the record as destroyed but do not delete the device from their registry. Just in case it is mysteriously raised from the dead and turns up later.

If you declare it stolen or lost, you might get a visit from the Men in Black.

Every can requires a separate stamp and it is best to create a trust. The trust legally owns the can. Not you. It makes a lot of sense if you think about it. Not just for suppressors. Most but not all of my firearms belong to a trust, not me.

3 Likes