M*CARBO Brotherhood

Fishing Stories

Show and tell all about your fishing stories and skills

Was out Ultra Light fishing with a 1" crankbait in

my kayak and hooked into something big. I was anchored close to shore in the channel and he took four runs on me, heading straight to the center of the channel and up river. I kept the drag loose but would reel at the same time taking in less line than he was taking. Each time I got it close to the kayak he would take off again. I thought of pulling the anchor up and going for a ride there was that much power in this fish. I finally wore the 30" Carp out and dragged him into the kayak. He was reeled in with 4 LB. mono on a 5’ St. Croix ultra light rod with a 500 series Shimano reel…the most fun I’ve had on my kayak to date.

7 Likes

I caught this one in Nassau, Bahamas in the 1980s. I had it mounted. :grin::sunglasses:

1 Like

Earlier this year Rockfishing

10 Likes

You should have seen the one that got away. :sob:

7 Likes

What did you do to that poor minnow? :grin:

2 Likes

Very nice catch! Where did you catch them?

2 Likes

I’m in Middle River MD, we were and area near Rock Hall. These are the rest from that day.

5 Likes

Awesome catch, my friend. I’m envious!

2 Likes

I used to catch bluefish off of the Jersey Shore. Then, I moved to Texas, so it was all about bass fishing in the North Texas lakes.

3 Likes

Okay, here’s a real fish story. I used to live in an apartment complex in the Dallas, Texas area. My apartment was situated on a tiny man-made lake or pond that was between the buildings. I had a small patio that was about ten feet straight up a vertical stone wall above the little man-made lake. I used to fish from my patio, and I caught a few little bass from there. However, I knew there was a big bass in there, because I had seen him jump. His nickname was “Stumpy.” I was quite certain he was there.

None of my friends believed me. I used to tell them, “Stumpy” is in there, and they all thought I was just making it up. One day, my friends came over to watch a football game. I was telling them about “Stumpy” and how I had been fishing from my patio. They all thought I was lying. The said things like, “There ain’t no fish in there.” I kept trying to tell them that “Stumpy” was in there, but they didn’t believe me.

Well, half-time of the football game rolled around, and they were basically saying, “Prove there are fish in there.” I said, “Okay,” and I got my rod and reel out of the closest hoping to catch a small bass. I made one cast, and “BOOM!,” I got a bite. It was "Stumpy!"I reeled him in and I got him to the ten-foot vertical wall. The problem was, there was no way to net him. I managed to reel him about five feet straight up, and everyone saw him. I would say he was maybe an eight pound large-mouth bass. I got him about half-way up the wall where everyone could see him, and then he fell off!!! Everyone got to see “Stumpy,” but I never landed him!

All my friends were talking about it from then on! They were shocked! It was the day I almost caught “Stumpy,” and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

4 Likes

Great catch @FrankG! When I was a kid in 1966, my dad got transferred to Baltimore (from Detroit) with General Motors. We lived in Churchville, not far from Middle River, went school in Bel Air (Blair!). Orioles won the World Series in ‘66. I developed a lifelong obsession with steamed crabs at O’Breckie’s (you really can’t get anywhere else) and crab cakes, which I have to tell you, I make a KILLER crab cake po’boy🤪

In 1968, it was back to Detroit just in time for the Tigers to win the World Series! No crab cakes but loads of Coney Island hotdogs😛

5 Likes

Havent beem fishing in over a decade, this threads making me want to get back into it

3 Likes

Wimberly Texas - late Oct 2018 - Caught 5 bass over 5 lbs, one between 8 and 10, fishing a catch and release stock pond, and maybe 40 bass overall. Just outstanding fishing.

4 Likes

Shame you couldn’t keep at least one of them to eat. Nothing better than a fresh fried bass in a cast iron skillet with a light breading on it.

1 Like

Love the St. Croix rods, have them in everything from your 5ft ultra light to 7 1/2 ft med-hvy. The factory is in the same town, Park Falls, Wis where we go for our annual fishing trip. You can buy new or factory seconds. The 7 1/2 med-hvy I got last year is a $300+ rod, I paid $100. It had some blemishes in the finish. If anyone ever gets in the area stop in for some great deals. You can also get bait there. Never fished out of a kayak, would make me a little too nervous, I’m not a very good swimmer. Several years ago I did catch a 36 in. Flathead catfish on Green Bay using the same rod as yours, but with a Pflueger reel and I was in a 16ft Lund.

2 Likes

@Dane The kayak I use is a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12, it has a tunnel hull making it very stable and easy to stand up in. It looks more like a solo canoe being fully open from front to back. St. Croix rods are great and probably the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

3 Likes

That is a fine looking Yak’ you have There ! And were you not doing a Trailer ?

1 Like

KM55 - Know what you mean. I’ve got a recipe for barbeque bass that works well for grilling.

Just one of those days. Suppose I could have kept a smaller one or two but the big fish were just too nice to eat, plus it was not my property. I had two rods, one ultra lite, a baggie of worms, hooks, and a couple lures, and an EDC knife. No fishouts. Caught a couple of the fish deep in the throat on worms so know they probably would not live.

Wife and kids decided to go shopping in town. I’d rather fish, so walked the pond trying top water, spinners, and worms. Caught fish in the deeper part of the pond but worked towards the shallow part with vegetation that hung up pretty much everything I threw so went top water. Had a pretty good sized blow up on the edge of all the junk, left the lure there, and the fish came back and nailed it. 5+ and no one to see it. Went immediately to a large chartreuse spinner and had another bigger hit. Pic’s an iphone selfie with fish held as far away as I could to get it in picture.

Days like this are the way things out to be.

1 Like

Ought to be… Sorry - did not proof

1 Like