M*CARBO Brotherhood

First S2K Outing

I finally got to go to the range with my S2K and it performed quite well for a partial break-in outing. I ran through my ammo faster than expected because I had NO ISSUES whatsoever. The only original factory item that loosened up on it was the barrel nut in front of the front sight, which I chalk up to having to replace due to the issue I had with the thread protector giving me fits removing it and my wrench taking too big of a bite while everything was softer after heating. Even the jam nut for my muzzle brake with its sound sleeve right in front of that barrel nut stayed put where I timed it to be. I was totally surprised by my beginners luck taking a shot at a target 50 yards away and hitting dead center! That was the only time that day that it hit that spot, though, so I must have jittered enough to get it there. The only real weapon issue was getting the mags to seat immediately, but I’m hoping that will just end up being another break-in type of thing as they all functioned well.

11 Likes

Hi robmschn
Good to hear you get out to the range with your SUB-2000 Gen2.
I am currently sighting in mine at 50 yards with factory sights.
Would by any chance your grouping (not adjusted from the front factory sight setting) are landing in the upper left of the target? Just thought to ask as that is where mine are hitting. Why asking, just curious where the sight is set out of the box if it’s random or relatively the same.
Cheers,

2 Likes

High and to the left out of the box also. Was able to bring it closer to center with the big knob at the base, but haven’t gotten into adjusting the height yet.

2 Likes

@robmschn @Moosecall I think your similarity is a fluke. Other posts suggest the firearms leave the factory without being sight tested and are all over the map (or target). Mine would not stay adjusted once I got it zeroed and I finally broke down and bought the Red Lion sight. It really only functions as a backup to the red dot but I like it much better than the OEM one.

2 Likes

Kel Tec does not zero sights. So, random.

3 Likes

Hi Folks,

JoeFirdaySays

Your right, it’s probably a fluke, but now I know where robschn started and perhaps we can share sighting in results.
Dred, below is a photo I took after my 50 yards, sitting with a tripod, 10 shots all in a decent cluster.
Blazer, 9 mm, 115 gr FMG. I’m going to try again and this time will have the tools to adjust the front sight. I’m thinking I can get it somewhat close if I take my time.
robmschn we are having a friendly target shoot if you are interested find it under “Online Match - Enter by June 15th” and “Online Match Group 1 targets” and “Mail in Matches - Any Interest”. If interested you can find the official targets to use, 25 and 50 yards and entry details.
Cheers,

1 Like

I saw that Match post the other day and now know a bit more what it’s about. I’m actually still in the early stages of learning about my rifle, and competition of any sort will have to wait until we’re both broken in a whole lot. I could be ready much sooner to try with my pistol, but that would have to be a generic free-for-all.

Looks like you want to raise the front sight post (counter clockwise) to bring your point of impact down about 6". I’d suggest getting elevation dialed and really mastering the trigger before windage adjustments. Windage looks pretty close but could easily be pushing a bit with the trigger.

1 Like

TYVM Derd
Exactly what I was looking for! And good tip on the windage.
I’ll keep turning counter-clockwise until I dial it in.
I’m a lefty and could never master iron sights, :roll_eyes: but I persevere.
Also I have the the old eyes two sets of glasses to test which is better for shooting?
Cheers,

1 Like

I’m at 3000+ rounds on mine and I haven’t had a single jam, malfunction, etc. I did have one major “issue” and that was the barrel recall. After it came back, it was still 100% reliable, thankfully. I was a bit worried because I thought I had a unicorn and replacing the whole front end would screw it up. I still can’t believe it’s a Kel-Tec! I keep waiting for something to break because, well…Kel-Tec… I’ve had bad experiences with that before. But, mine’s at least 50% MCARBO and it’s been rock solid. It’s one of my most favorite firearms ever and it goes out shooting every time with me. :+1:

1 Like