M*CARBO Brotherhood

First range visit - New Sub 2K Gen 2

I picked up a new Sub 2K Gen 2 (for Glock 17 mags) a few weeks back at a local gun show. I also picked up five “happy sticks”! Shortly after I found MCARBO and decided to do a few upgrades. I got the skeletonized charging handle, the recoil buffer, the bolt tube cover and a Magpul AFG2 angled fore grip. I installed everything yesterday and was really looking forward to hitting the range!

Well I ended up making it to the range today…I will say I watched a bunch of videos and read a bunch of reviews online since I picked the Sub up, so I had a few expectations going in. I have to say I was really surprised and impressed, the Sub performed flawlessly! I read some negative things about the trigger, I thought it was fine. I read some issues with accuracy and the stock sights, I though they were fine and out of the box it was hitting a little low. Using my AR front sight tool I made a few adjustments and after that the Sub was impressively accurate! I was very happy with how the Sub performed and felt all around. I ended up putting 200 trouble free rounds down range and had a blast doing it!

If I had to say anything negative I’d say that it does get pretty dirty pretty quick. I understand this is the byproduct of the blow-back design. Not really a negative, but something I noticed.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop in here for a quick write-up. MCARBO has some really nice products and shipping was quick! I think Kel-Tec did a great job on this cool folding PCC and I’m looking forward to my next range visit.

17 Likes

@PRO2A welcome to the forum happy holloween and happy shooting

6 Likes

@PRO2A welcome to the group.

5 Likes

Its a very accurate gun for what it is and she will run dirty just fine.

5 Likes

@PRO2A

Welcome to the MCarbo Brotherhood and happy shooting!

3 Likes

Glad @PRO2A had such a positive initial experience. Wish I could say the same. First time at the range with it yesterday. Roughest trigger I’ve ever experienced, including airsoft pistols. During the lllooonnngg pull I’d have sworn someone poured a cup full of sand into the mechanism. Finally the mushy break and the…what’s a good word?..uncertain?..reset. I ended up with two nice groupings about 3" apart at 25 yards. Unfortunately I was always aiming at the same spot.

Based on various reviews I’d already purchased the M-Carbo bolt tube cover, recoil buffer and double finger charging handle (and boy am I glad I’d ordered that extended handle as the bolt charger was so stiff I had to rest the stock on my stomach and pull back with both hands) before getting to the range and firing it. Between the gun and the M-Carbo purchases I could not spend another $100 - $250 for a trigger kit right now.

All that said, does that mean I’m going to give up on my Sub-2000. Hell no! I love the idea of this thing. I know I need to adjust the sites and that both the charger and trigger will smooth out over time. I’ll probably get in there with my Dremel and do some polishing. We’ll see how it does after polishing, some dry firing and a few hundred more rounds. I just wish it’d been better out of the box.

I’m open to any suggestions anyone cares to make to help speed things along.

Cheers!

4 Likes

@Ronjo welcome to the forum ron

1 Like

Glad the OP/#PRO2A had a positive experience at the range.

I’ll share that my wife and I had a positive experience with our stock sub2k this week. We spent time with a retired LEO that was familiar with the KT and at the end of the lesson we were planning our next visit to the range.

This is all from a firearm rookie…
As for the trigger he taught us to mindfully bring the trigger back to the “click” after the first shot then only let your finger release to the point of the click then fire again. What a difference that was from the full pull. Both of us were sending out accurate shots in rapid succession. At the 15 yard distance all our shots were within the center or next ring on target which was really a happy surprise to us rookies!

We plan on a few of the upgrades for a Christmas present :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@PRO2A first of all, welcome to the forum. I also have been researching the Sub 2k Gen 2 and it will be my next firearm purchase. I have not decided on buying one and adding the MCARBO parts later, or going ahead and purchasing the M Sub 2000 model with everything added. I am leaning toward the ladder. I have no issue installing the MCARBO parts, but I looks like going ahead with the M sub will be more cost efficient in the long run.

2 Likes

@Ronjo welcome to the forum! I plan on jumping on the Sub 2000 band wagon soon also.

2 Likes

@em44052 if it do the math it’s cheaper to buy a completed M series sub from Mcarbo than buying the gun and then all the upgrades. I bought my sub shortly before then as soon as I ordered all the upgrades the M series was birthed. I would have come out quite a bit cheaper buying the M series

4 Likes

Welcome to the Forum… I concur with Whitehammer, plus it takes time to swap out original parts.

3 Likes

On the flip side, you get to learn all the guts of the gun and do things like polish the crap out of anything that moves. That by itself can make a mediocre gun good and a good one excellent. With Chris’ video, even a complete novice can successfully tear down and put together their subbie.

3 Likes

Agreed, Chris’ video’s are excellent, I use/refer to them often. Usually I watch Chris’ video before ordering an upgrade or part just out of curiosity and measure up the task.

4 Likes

I took my brand new sub2k out back this past weekend for the first time after a quick clean and lube. I have to say I have very mixed reactions. First the good, this thing is super fun to shoot and I find it to be very accurate. I didn’t think my trigger was as bad as most people make them sound although I do plan on replacing everything with an mcarbo trigger and springs. So to my problems, the usual stuff, the rear sight is way to low I had major problems getting a decent sight picture and my cheek was very sore after about 150 rounds. No big deal, I knew this would be a problem as soon as I got it home before I ever shot it so I had already ordered the mcarbo rear sight and bolt tube cover. My biggest problem came with failures to eject. Out of 200 rounds I had about 6 or 7 failures to eject, all on the last round of my magazine. I still only have one mag so not totally
Positive if it is a magazine problem. I used a variety of ammo but I did notice I had zero problems with sellier & Bellot so I’m not sure if it just likes that ammo more than the others or what. I do think there is a chance I could have been limp shouldering the rifle as I was moving things around a bit trying to find a comfortable cheek mold and sight picture. I’m a fairly large guy and I was having trouble keeping the rifle in my shoulder pocket and getting it far enough up to my eye. Biggest problem is one of the failure to ejects didn’t stove pipe as most of the others did, it just got jammed in front of the bolt, that’s when I noticed I had a crack in my feed ramp. And that’s when I realized, are you kidding me?! This thing has a plastic feed ramp?! Out of everything, I love this little carbine. I love the idea of it and have a blast shooting it. I don’t really have a problem upgrading parts myself including that crappy factory feed ramp. I’ll actually enjoy getting to know my rifle better plus I’m one of those people that just loves fixing building and tinkering so I’m actually looking forward to it. Has anyone else had failure to eject problems with their sub2k’s?

6 Likes

@dkushner Welcome to the Brotherhood. Sorry you have a cracked feed ramp with so few rounds fired. You’ll like Mcarbo’s SS feed ramp. As far as ejection problems, buy at least 1 new magazine from the O.E.M manufacturer. Glock, Smith, Berretta, or whoever and try it. Sometimes the mag follower sticks up too high on the last round chambered causing a failure to eject. Happy shooting.

4 Likes

Thanks! Yeah that was going to be my first move. I definitely would have replaced that feed ramp regardless. I did seem to notice when I load the S&B into the mag it seems to go into the magazine a little smoother than the other ammo I used for some reason and that’s the only ammo I didn’t have issues with so I’m thinking it may be the mag.

4 Likes

I have good experiences with S&B.

My bad experiences are mostly Winchester White Box, Remington UMC & Green & White Box and Freedom Munitions ( Reman & New).

Get your SS feed ramp ordered stat.

You identify failure to eject but your description sounds like failure to feed (stovepipe and jamed up). You finding live rounds or spent cases? Pictures will help.

If everything is fired, your feed ramp is probably not your only problem.

4 Likes

@dkushner Kel-Tec does not recommend using steel or aluminum cased ammo. S&B is pretty good.

2 Likes

@Dred My favorite ammo is S&B although it is hard to find at a discount. It seems to be a little hotter and more accurate although my marksmanship skills are not a very valid test of that premise.

3 Likes