M*CARBO Brotherhood

Firing pin spring removal on LCP II kit

Well, here I am with a 3/32 pin punch stuck in the slide of my LCP II. Watched the video, bought the tools and replaced everything until it came to the roll pin in the slide. In the video Chris just taps it out with a 3/32 pin punch and a plastic hammer and his pin punch goes all the way through the hole. Mine didn’t. I had to beat on it with a hammer and when the roll pin fell out the punch was locked in the hole. I tried using a 1/16 punch to knock it back out and that doesn’t work. The local gunsmith won’t touch it either. Has anyone else had this problem.

3 Likes

@JimNolan sounds like you should have used the 1/16 punch in first place
you could try heating the metal around the punch then tap it out

5 Likes

Similar problem, different firearm.
I had an issue removing a safety lever and my punch became stuck as well. With a bit of WD-40 and a twisting motion I was able to free the punch.
Heating the slide as @hunter1916 suggested is an option, if you can keep the punch cool it will work better.

6 Likes

Hit it with some penetrating lube like PBlaster or something and let it sit overnight. You’ll probably be able to work it out. I, too, found the pins much harder to hammer out than what Chris showed in his video. I suspect his LCP II had probably already been taken down several times for testing different versions of the springs for the final kit.

7 Likes

I used a heat gun to help me install a TFX Pro front night sight on my PPS. It was an impossibly tight fit for the sight’s tang. Heating the slide front only did the trick.

5 Likes

Ive had the same problem on several Front sight sites. do what @festus says. let it sit over night. biggest thing is to stay calm and not unleash your anger on it.

4 Likes

Well I fixed it. Since I couldn’t get the punch out and it was the right size anyway. I just cut the punch off with a die-grinder and 1/16 cut off wheel (small). I ground it right down to the metal slide and tapped it with a 1/8 punch to recess it just a little. I’ve still probably got a 5 lb trigger pull but I had that before. And, at least I can use the gun. Now, ask me if I’m going to modify my other LCP also. Go ahead, I dare you.

2 Likes

Um, smart money says let that one go… :thinking:

3 Likes

Right, You’d think anyone that fabricated every piece to a all metal IFR equipped 215 mph all metal 2 seat airplane and flew it 14 years could drive a 3/32 roll pin out of a piece of metal, wouldn’t you. I’m still scratching my head. LOL

2 Likes

I gotta chuckle a bit here with you. Impressive, the flying machine.

2 Likes

RV4?

blah, blah to get 20 characters…

2 Likes

Yes, do I know you. It seemed I stayed in the air for 14 years. I sold it after the heart attack.

2 Likes

Dang, sorry to hear. Those are very nice airplanes. :+1:

3 Likes

RV-4?

https://www.vansaircraft.com/rv-4/

2 Likes

@JimNolan are you going to modify your other LCPjim :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Actually, NO. I sold the other LCP Saturday and bought a SCCY CPX-2 and ordered another kit from MCARBO for the 9mm. The LCP II with just installing the hammer spring has lightened the pull on that 380. I haven’t shot it yet though. If the MCARBO hammer spring has enough force the original pin spring should be OK anyway. That spring has no bearing on how hard it pulls to begin with.

2 Likes