M*CARBO Brotherhood

Firearms Insurance Policy

I am looking to get a separate policy for my firearms (theft, fire, etc.). There are a few players out there. I was wondering if the Brotherhood could make a good recommendation? Especially someone that actually had to use the policy.

Also any “ammo insurance” companies as well. I have more money in ammo than firearms. Lol.

6 Likes

Personal property on your homeowner will extend to your ammo subject to deductible and then you have a % of you PP limit off premises. Problem is replacement cost.

6 Likes

Gonna lose it all in a boating accident but want to be insured first? I like your thinking. I’ve had my agent come to my house and shop and add items to my policy. He has serial #’s and quantity of my “equipment”. He also goes to the range with me so that helps a bit. He told me as long as you document in photo and or video and on paper what you have in case of damage, theft or occasional boating accident. You should be covered under your homeowners policy. Just make sure the agent you ask is 2A friendly. I had one years ago that found out I had a gun safe from a photo of flood damage, he did not want me as a client anymore. We had no issues up until he saw the safe and immediately assumed I was a crazed man with evil implements.

5 Likes

“Mysterious Disappearance” is not covered… :thinking:

3 Likes

Most insurance policies have a fairly low “cap” on payments for jewelry, firearms and certain other valuable and frequently stolen items. While you may want a separate policy, you should first explore with your insurance agent the possibility of scheduling your firearms through a separate endorsement to your homeowner’s policy hat will pay replacement cost in the event of loss. That is likely to be cheaper than a separate policy and provide better coverage.

4 Likes

I’m glad I read this, now you have me thinking, what if. Great info!

1 Like

USCCA has very good insurance. Based on today’s events makes it more important.

1 Like

If you have a couple firearms or even small collections, your homeowners insurance policy will be a good resource until or unless that insurance carrier decides you are a risk for causing injury to someone and wants to cancel your policy. Make sure you schedule the item, usually over $500 or anything of antique value. If you have larger valued collections, I would seek outside coverage. Locton is one example.
Anything of value, get an appraisal.

Eastern
This group uses Chubb and Hanover which are both good insurance companies.

SIAI
Another group which will work.

Make sure the company or agency you choose is licensed in your area.

2 Likes

USCCA coverage is strictly for defensive costs from a situation where you had to legally defend yourself by using a weapon. Key word is legal. If law enforcement deems the use of force wasn’t 100%, USCCA will refuse to cover you. They are not an insurance company. They do not insure firearms either. I should know, I used to use them until I found out the premium was higher, and the coverage was much lower than at CCW Safe.
Here are comparison for self defense policies…

3 Likes

Thank you for the information. I will look at this a closer and most likely make a change like you did.

1 Like

IMHO… The USCCA is more geared towards a fairly new concealed carry individual. They spend a lot of effort (money) on basic training videos. They have a very professional looking monthly magazine that is probably 75% advertisng and 25% articles on basic firearm training. Being experienced I found their training added no value to me. Someone new to carrying may get more value.
The USCCA allows a monthly payment of $50/month ($600 annually) while CCW Safe requires a one year commitment up front of $500. I think a lot of people choose USCCA because they like the monthly payments.
The real reason for my choice of CCW Safe is that their coverage in just about every category exceeds all the competition. Just look closely at the chart I attached and I think the choice will be obvious.

1 Like

Scottsdale Insurance Co, a subsidiary of Nationwide Insurance will write stand alone polices for firearms.
They require pictures and serial numbers but the rate is a little less than some others.

3 Likes

Homeowners insurance rider for firearms will cost s small fortune. By far the cheapest, and most comprehensive covrrage is through NRA. You dont need to list firearms individually if they value under $2500, and they covers repairs as well as loss… ie dropping the eeapon from height as well as simply losing one such ss leaving at the range and it never turns up.

3 Likes