M*CARBO Brotherhood

Firearm Collection or Arsenal Question? 😀

After spending a considerable amount of time perusing the Your Newest Firearm and Official Gun Picture Thread, I’ve developed a question for the Brotherhood…

At what point does a private firearm collection become a personal armory, er, arsenal? Is there a specific number, a range or just when the $hit hits the proverbial fan, regardless of numbers? :grinning:

To the Mods: This might classify as more of a “fun thing” but I noted the rules state that is for non-gun topics. Feel free to move as you see fit. :+1:

12 Likes

For an enthusiast, the answer would be quite high while the press would consider two an armory.

15 Likes

Ain’t that the truth. Probably zero if they’re “evil black guns”…

12 Likes

I should add that the Brotherhood is packing some really sweet looking gear, not enough likes in a day to cover all the posts. As a group, you guys have good taste. :+1:t2:

11 Likes

@chilipepper That’s a good question. After a little internet searching , an armory is a place to store your weapons. Your weapons are your collection. You store your collection in your armory. :smiley:

14 Likes

Oh $hit, you’re right my friend. Would it make any difference if I told you English isn’t my first language… :rofl:

10 Likes

@godallmighty

I have been living in a basement apartment for the past 12 years. I have 3 basement windows and one walks into the home through a door (in the back of the house.) The driveway is long and on an ‘extreme pitch.’ The house sits back in front of a level 3 acre lot. So how is that for my ARMORY? :smiley:

Since WE are talking MARYLAND and gun control in the same sentence, I cannot wait for my move to OKLAHOMA within the next few coming months. I am sure that my gun collection will appreciate all the long awaited usage? The newly built Custom 22’s will have the most use since I don’t mind hunting for my meals! :+1:

11 Likes

@lonewolf I am sure your collection will love your new armory much better than Maryland .

10 Likes

@godallmighty

I believe that you are right… I know that I will feel more at peace~ :+1:

8 Likes

@lonewolf That’s alright, run away to your free state…I’ll be here in MD, holding down the fort with a plastic straw and a pack of frozen peas…until they ban them as well…

11 Likes

@chilipepper

Dave,
If it weren’t for our granddaughter, I would be ‘here in MD, holding down the fort with a plastic straw and a pack of frozen peas,’ as well…

7 Likes

@lonewolf In all seriousness, run, run like the wind away from this legislatively retarded state when the opportunity presents itself… :+1:t2:

8 Likes

Actually, plastic straws might already be banned, better go with wax coated paper straws to be safe…:rofl:

10 Likes

I think the word would be “Arsenal”.

And it’s a good question. I have what I consider to be a good few, but not an unreasonable amount. Yet if the news is talking about a gun owner it’s “he had 5 guns and 2000 rounds of ammo” and I’m over here like “amateur” haha

Ask my gun shy parents and they’d say I have an arsenal, soooooo yeah

10 Likes

@TheThreeLaws Correct you are. I knew it started with “A”… :rofl:

Speaking of your arsenal, how you making out with that MPR? Your new gun post as well as @Texprep 's AR builds have inspired me to bust my AR cherry… :cherries: :grinning:

7 Likes

Should be shooting it this week! Family (specifically an uncle) delayed visiting and we’re all going together.

Just gonna be using pop-up irons at 25 yards. Still researching low power variable optics and such. I’m realizing the closest reasonable outdoor range is an hour away and only goes to 250 yards, sadly.

As to if it should be your first: I’ll report how I like it for sure. That extra 2" of barrel definitely feels a bit long, but I’m also used to the short Sub2k. I know Ruger has had some QC issues but at least to feel and dry fire, mine seems good. Definitely not a bad choice for what you get and the price point. But honestly there are so many good options in the AR world…

7 Likes

@godallmighty @chilipepper id say if the mcarbo brotherhood all got together we would have a well equiped army

10 Likes

@TheThreeLaws I’ll be interested to hear how it goes for you. I have a feeling from everything I’ve read that you’ll have some fun with it. I’ve been watching this thread here on the boards for ideas on a future AR optic.

The laws in Maryland preclude me from buying the MPR, shame as I was really liking the idea of it. What I’ve got on order is a state-compliant model of their AR-556 with a free float handguard and 16.1" heavy barrel. It’s vaguely like a shorter version of the MPR on a base level without the Magpul furniture, 452 trigger and 2" less barrel as well as about 4" less handguard. I might look into a scope at some point but once it arrives I’ll be installing some folding iron sights as well.

I found a couple other ARs that were slightly less expensive than the Ruger but the Ruger ticked more of the boxes, so to speak, so I went for it.

6 Likes

@chilipepper

I checked into AR 15 builds when looking into a gunsmith school in a ‘home study’ environment program with MD state a few years back. They wanted students to build a 300 black out kit because the .223/.556 is an ‘illegal sniper version’ firearm. Isn’t that a crock and also cost much more to ‘feed…’ :rage: Thank God for this move! OK here ‘we’ come… :smiley:

5 Likes

@lonewolf I had a bit of thought-provoking correspondence with @Texprep regarding some of his builds while investigating my AR options and, as I understand it from my digging on the interwebs, there is legislation in the works in MD at this very moment to render “ghost guns” as well as 3D printed guns illegal in the state. Unless I’m mistaken, if passed, that will pretty much put the kibosh on any type of firearm builds in the state, regardless of whether they comply with existing firearm laws or not. I think rubber stamping a particular caliber or firearm style as “illegal” or “sniper” is rather piss-poor, especially in the gunsmith world. I’d expect it from politicians, but not a part of the firearms industry/community, so to speak.

7 Likes