M*CARBO Brotherhood

Fiber Optic Front Sight (I Did Not See This Coming!)

If you spend any time with me you would know that I am putting fiber optic sights on all of my handguns. The reason is I have old eyes and focusing on the front sight is getting harder, and taking to much time in getting the shots off. Bad for games, could be deadly on the street.

Now I could get new glasses made for shooters and wear them at matches, but would I have them on at a 7/11 when it became a free fire zone? I simply refuse to train differently than I carry. The reason for new sights.

What I did not see coming was that my group size would open up with the fiber optic sights. What I hope would happen was I would shoot quicker and I got this in spades, in fact I am young dog fast. Which explain some of the larger group size. The majority is because with iron sights I was being very careful to define my sight picture. With the new sights and there large glowing ball precise sight picture is much more difficult.

In the real world the fiber optic is the way to go. In fact it is much better to shoot a very fast 3" group into a bad guy than a slooow 1" unless he is hiding behind you wife. With EX-Wife the fiber optic is the way to go. Well that is my thoughts, What’s yours?

R S

8 Likes

Im a big believer in fiber optic front sights. Im slowly working on switching over all my pistols.

“Follow the glowy red dot” is firmly ingrained in my muscle memory from years of shooting Ar15 pattern rifles with aimpoints carries over to the red fiber optic pistol sights and against a timer im getting significantly faster engagement times vs any other sighting system (i haven’t tested pistol mounted mini red dots yet) with similar levels of precision when shooting for groups.

Interesting side note from testing, my engagement times were significantly slower, much closer to engagement times with tritium night sights, when i switched from red tubes to yellow or green.

3 Likes

Theres an accuracy figure of merit I like to use when discussing practical accuracy “minute of torso”. I.E. a weapon system/user/technique is capable of a level of precision that keeps all the rounds in an area the size of a bad guys torso at a given range.

For most defensive situations minute of torso is the minimum accuracy required to be able to practically engage a target and 3" is well inside that.

You’re 100% correct about slow vs fast in a gun fight. Getting aimed rounds down range first gives you a significant advantage in an engagement, and hitting first almost guarantees a win (your milage may vary when your target’s too crazy or drugged to know or care that theyre hit).

5 Likes

I had no interest in trying FO sights until one came on my Canik TP9SF Elite. I’ve since switched two other guns to FO sights. They are the way to go. They make spotting the front sight so much easier. But I don’t see FO being effective in the dark although I’ve never tried.

2 Likes

With a good WML they work fine, dimmer than in. daylight but usable.

1 Like

I put fiber-optic sights on all of my carry guns that did not have them already. My carry guns anyway; to include my two duty pistols.

1 Like

I have a similar situation when i switched to the notch rear sight. It did everything i was hoping it would but at the cost of a tight group. Im being picky but i like seeing how many i can get through a quarter size hole.

2 Likes

I have FO sights on my shield 40 PC, but I got my friend a tritium fiber optic sight for his birthday because he liked my FO sight and as soon as I saw that thing in low light, I wanted it, haven’t come up with the funds to get some for myself but am working on it. I would definitely put truglo tfx/tfo or hiviz lightwave h3 on all my pistols.

3 Likes

I got these on my Kimbers they are awesome. R S

1 Like

I think the SeeAll sight would fit here in this thread

3 Likes

Just bought a blemished SeeAll sight for my AR-9 pistol, just to try it out.
I think I’m gonna like it a lot. Unlimited eye relief, same as a red dot.
May get another for my S2k. Blems are selling pretty cheap.

6 Likes

@ValorSolo I just picked up a Max Duty Gen II Armson OEG Csight, had one years ago, only took me a second to pick sighting back up. you dont loose it in brite light, you dont lose it in the dark (tritnum option) and ive already tried it with NV you see tha dot.
Im bumping it against a Trijicon Reflex Sunday see how it does.
Im chasing a combat sight, that requires no battery to work…none. and they the same quality but not near the same price, same technology, at one time Trijicon was Armson, Before they split up. one went with see thru with tritium, the other stayed a occulated Eye Gunsight.
Ive been using fiber optic sights on my shotguns for years, and the first front sight replacement i got for the GEN1 Sub2000 is a fiberoptic.
pistols i still prefer the tritium from Trijicon.

4 Likes

On all of my carry/duty handguns I use TFO sights, a combination of both tritium and fiber optic. Works great under ambient light and darkness. I have been using TRUGLO brand, TFO PRO and TFX PRO models. The TFX is their newest and is more heavily “armored” to protect the fiber optic and tritium capsules. Price point is usually around $125.00. I have them on both Glocks and Sig 1911’s.

4 Likes

Wow. I put the SeeAll on my S2k Optic mount today, for my range trip tomorrow.
I don’t think you could get anything lower profile than this. Great for stowing.
And it co-witnesses perfectly with the front sight. I just flip the rear sight down.
The Delta lines right up with the tip of the front sight, which barely peaks up.

I’d have to use a riser on my AR-9, and thought I’d have to on the S2k as well.
But that’s not the case. It really works out very nicely. I think this is my setup.

5 Likes