M*CARBO Brotherhood

Feral Pigs in Florida ๐Ÿ—

Here in Florida we have huge issues with feral pigs digging up farmersโ€™ fields and causing such havoc with the local eco-system destroying local plants and vegetation consumed by native wildlife. Here we hunt them to solve the problem with invasive species and they are also tasty on the grill. Hopefully these photos do not offend anyone or break the rules of the forum.

24 Likes

@chanderson1 nothing wrong with that at all i cant see anyone being offended nice hunting chris :+1:

13 Likes

@hunter1916 Thanks! Iโ€™m new on this forum and wasnโ€™t sure.

10 Likes

@chanderson1 nice work bud. Iโ€™m in Jacksonville FL. That true organic free range meat is superb. We like to trap themโ€ฆor shoot them lol.

11 Likes

Definitely the red ones (razorback) are the meanest. The piney woods can be as well

12 Likes

@Flogrown I have property just East of Perry and thatโ€™s where I do the majority of the hunts. Lots of hogs in and around that area but Iโ€™ve also hunted them in Central Texas where they tend to be much bigger (400lb - 700lb). Take care!

11 Likes

I know Perry well. I live about 50 miles straight down US19.
Lot of hugs there for sure. Good looking bunch, you did good.

12 Likes

@ValorSolo You must be near Steinhatchee. I only have a hunt camp in Perry but I live south of it straight down 19 in a town called Port Richey. I make it up to Perry during the Fall months just because itโ€™s not so steaming hot when we camp.

10 Likes

A little farther South, I live in Old Town. But I grew up around Steinhatchee.

7 Likes

How do you know if the pigs are clean or diseased? I got nothing against killing them but I been afraid to eat them

7 Likes

I grew up eating game meat harvested from the local woods.
Never worried about โ€œwas it safe?โ€ or aware of any diseases.
I have worried about store bought meat. Chemicals and such.

14 Likes

If you get pork over 160 degrees, you are good to go. If you were hunting the animal, as long as it didnโ€™t have any obvious issues I wouldnโ€™t worry about it.

I once was hunting with a buddy and he shot a deer that was covered with warts. Coyotes got a meal with that one.

12 Likes

best check the lympnodes

9 Likes

They carry parasites and such, but any bacteria should be killed away if the internal temp of the pork is 160-165. Nothing better than taking a little 60-80 lb pig halving it, and smoking whole halves. Those smaller Piggyโ€™s are Tender Tender meat :ok_hand:

11 Likes

Anyone else here agree with me that nothing stinks as bad as a rabbit when you pull the hide? Holy moly son. Just my opinion lol

11 Likes

Politicians & Bureaucrats are worse. :grinning:

22 Likes

@JoeFridaySays and you have to open them up to get the stink :joy: :joy:

15 Likes

@MissouriMule Iโ€™ve hunted and eaten wild game for over 30 years and have never ran across something that I could physically detect if it were clean or diseased. Like the others have said, if you cook them to suggested temperatures, you should not have any issues. After decades of eating wild game meat that I have personally harvested, I can honestly say that Iโ€™ve never been sick or felt ill after eating any of it.

12 Likes

Had a chance to stop by the hunt camp over the weekend to retrieve the trail cam. Got some new visitors.

16 Likes

Looks like theyโ€™re ripe for reaping.

9 Likes