Favorite War Movies

Enemy at The Gates
Black Sheep Squadron tv show
Good Morning Vietnam
Dances With Wolves
Last of The Mohicans

7 Likes

Dances with wolves is one of my favorite movies of all time. I dont think i seen The Hunt for Red October on the list anywhere. I also didnt see Rambo on list or tom beringer as Sniper. I just seen 1917 couple weeks ago it was a good one. There is so many great war movies. Shooter, American Sniper, Comando, Lone Survivor. The list goes on and on.

5 Likes

A few of my other favorites (you got most of them):
Budges at TokRi
Platoon
??Charlie Mopic(can’t remember the #)
Midway
Bridge at Remagen
The Lost Brigade

Of course the newer ones:
The Outpost
13 Hours
Lone Survivor
Saving Private Ryan

5 Likes

Casablanca
The Caine Mutiny
To Have and Have Not
Sahara
Across The Pacific
Passage To Marseille
African Queen

10 Likes

Dunkirk kind of stunk. Great potential with that story, but not the greatest execution with the movie.

10 Likes

I agree about Dunkirk. Great story but not a good movie.

9 Likes

Forgot about Das Boot in the original German.

5 Likes

Clancy had a very good relationship with people high up in the Pentagon. He was given and allowed to use a lot of stuff others were not.

5 Likes

MASH the book was MUCH better than the movie (ain’t it always that way?) The next two books- MASH Goes To Maine (Hawkeye goes back home) and the second one (can’t recall the title ATM) were also quite good then the writer, Richard Hooker teamed up with somebody else and the rest of them went downhill quick…
Yeah, I was once an avid reader and then I bought a computer.

Back to war movies-I love every one listed but one I noticed that wasn’t listed is Beneath Hill 60. I found it to be rather interesting. Based on a true story it’s set in Belgium during WWI and it’s about the two sides trying to tunnel underneath each other’s front lines. Didn’t seem to get a lot of play for some reason but if you get the chance it’s well worth the watch.

13 Likes

The Battle of Britain
The Dambusters
Reach For The Sky
Mosquito Squadron
The Great Escape

11 Likes

[Inglourious Basterds

6 Likes

Just watched Island in the Sky Saturday night with featuring John Wayne and Lloyd Nolan, Andy Devine…

6 Likes

Did not see All Quiet on the Western Front (original or 1979?)

These are actually documentaries, but the kid really did his research, cites some really good reads and it also makes for just some good background noise while tinkering with something. To watch, it’s slightly dull, but he mainly uses full campaign size maps to show unit (by name if possible), size, disposition, current commander, etc…
I find them to be a good watch or listen.

6 Likes

Sole Survivor

Sort of a Twilight Zone-esque flick, loosely based on the B-24 Liberator Lady Be Good

10 Likes

Rewatched The Last Samurai the other night.

Very well done.

9 Likes

Catch 22
Inglorious Bastards

4 Likes

Good movie just wish wimpy ass tom cruise didnt have to be in it. Its probably his most tolerable movie to watch. The biggest tom cruise flop for me anyway has to be the jack reacher movies. The damn pip squeak is half the size of the jack reacher character and couldnt be as tough in his dreams. Both reacher movies where good movies in the stories but tom cruise just made a mockery of the character.

3 Likes

I liked the Jack Reacher movies but they pale to the books. Agree Cruise was a poor choice for this one.

3 Likes

Yeah the movies was good. Good stories but reading the badass books i was expecting someone alot bigger and meaner then little ol tom cruise. I think the rock would play a good reacher. Or about any of the heavyweight UFC guys. Reacher kicks ass and dont worry about the names. And tom cruise would need a step stool just to reach someones throat.

2 Likes

Lol
Dolph Lundgren? ?

4 Likes