M*CARBO Brotherhood

Enfield issue with iron sights

So my fil, needed to give me his old Enfield to keep in my gun case because he didn’t have room for it, my gun case however does not suffer the same situation. (Sooo roomy)
The rifle had been sporterized (bolt & barrel timed & serial# marked on all) but I’m struggling to get it zerod at 100 yds. I have it on paper at 25yds but that’s about it, at 50yds i couldnt find my hits. I’m going to the range again some evening this week & I’ll take larger targets with me to see if I can get this dialed in.
Any thoughts or advice?
On a side note it shoots so smooth, the bolt cycles so easily I would love to see a tight shot group at 100yds even if I can’t see that far.
Thanks
Frank

5 Likes

Someone to spot your hits would be a huge benefit. A good spotting scope, going to need that. If you’re doing it alone, try some “Kentucky” windage, aim high, check target, see if you can spot the hit. It may be shooting high, try aiming low as well. I’m guessing it has iron sights…if it was scoped, you could shoot off target at a dirt clod and see where it’s hitting.

4 Likes

I would need to know a little more about the “Enfield” in question. Can you give me a model No 1. MKIII or ? Lee made a lot of Enfields, what ammo are you shooting? Early Enfields were to be in the 3 moa range, so you need to do some work to make it an accurate rifle. This site can give you some dope on getting it better, but don’t expect perfection. I am betting it wasn’t put together correctly. Too mouch or too little torque in a given screw can give you issues. Not to mention whatever the previous owner did to it.

3 Likes

I do lack a spotter, so it me and binoculars, but I’m on a good marked out range managed by the Kentucky department of Wildlife management.
Thanks Festus

4 Likes

Thanks for the site recommendation. I believe its a Mk3 made by Remington, lots of proof marks on it and it has the flip up ladder sight. It seems to me that it may have been one of a number of Enfields that got turned into sporting rifles after they were retired from service. I admit that I like the history of the firearm enough that even if I cant get it zerod its still something to appreciate the engineering of.
I’m shooting Federal and Winchester 180gr ammo for testing and I have some Hornady if I get confident enought to put a round where I want to on a deer.
My father inlaw had never even fired it when he handed it to me, in truth he rarely meets a gun he doesnt like. :slight_smile:
Thank you again, I’ll post a couple pics to the thread of it can help.
Frank

4 Likes

Remington, hmm may be a Model 1917, by chance is it in 30-06 or .303? If it is a .30-06 it is most likely a 1917. if it shoots .303 it most likely is a Pattern 1914 (also known as the P14) Does the bolt go straight down or does it have a dog leg appearance? The dog leg is a classic sign of the 1917. Capacity: 10 round removable mag, or 6 round fixed? Fixed is a 1917.

The Pattern 14 Was designed by Enfield made by Winchester, Remington, and Eddystone. After filling the order for the Brits, it took little effort to convert the tooling to 30-06, and the Americans needed rifles and fast. Most WWI soldiers used the Model 1917 (do not refer to it as the P17 as that is a greenhorn mistake). It was known for great accuracy with a long barrel, but heavy at 11 pounds, and hard to manuver in the trenches of WWI.

I have a Model 1917 Remington, I picked it up cheap as it had been sporterized, It goes with my three other enfields nicely. As all the steel is orginal, and not cut, I plan on converting it back. Or giving it to my fiancees cousin who went to Iraq a year after I did. He went to College after the Army, and is still in that work hunting mode is broke most of the time. Hard worker just needs a break.

6 Likes

Chambered in 303 & holds 5 rounds in a fixed box mag. attaching some pictures.

4 Likes

Ive got the shorter one, in 303 (not a ishapore 308) the #5mk1 Jungle carbine. it holds a excellent group now, when i got it, not so much. instead of 1 MOA it was shooting 1 FOA
literally LOLOL I swapped a MK4 #1 Enfield for it Pristine condition,1943 mark, perfect bore. when i got my #5 home first i found the rear sight had been bubba repaired,
fixed that, still wayyyyyyyyy off.
checked the bore. rifling was good about 6"from the chamber, for about 8" and then it ghosted out. right at the chamber, pitted and eat in the bore.
two words.
corrosive powder.
at that time, they was plenty of available parts, and i didn’t give a snot if the numbers didn’t match, just wanted it to shoot. which it did and does well.
check out your bore.

5 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

uploading from the phone is slow, I’ll need the laptop to finish this.
Thanks everyone for chipping in.

5 Likes

@Proinsias You’re welcome. There’s lots of very knowledgeable folks here, with their help you’ll be hitting the mark in no time.

3 Likes

That my friend appears to be a P-14, that dog leg bolt handle and the fact it is .303

5 Likes

that barrel could use a good cleaning, I’ve probably fired 20 rds or so with my son all with good manufacturers ammo but didnt consider dust from the inlaws place.
Tomorrow is the pro2A movie The Reliant, so my lead therapy session will have to wait till thursday or friday now BUT I can do a little cleaning this evening.
Frank

5 Likes

@Squidder_K
Very interesting read Kevin. :v::v:
I have a .303 British that I have had a lot of fun shooting.
I inherited this gun 30 years ago when my mother and stepfather passed.
I’ve keep it oiled over the years and other than installing a bipod and a sling it is the same condition as when I got it.
I found several YouTube video on how to take apart the bolt. I Made the tool, disassembled for a thorough cleaning that was extremely needed.
Any information about this rifle would be appreciated.

7 Likes

IMHO the SMLE is one of the best combat rifles of all time (modern rifles aside), this rifle protected an empire. The speed of charging the rifle was impressive for its time, and what was more amazing, no one else adopted it. The Huns truly feared a well drilled British unit, their answer was to come out with a ten round magazine, that was single stacked, and I am not sure it worked that great.

1 Like

Try some ammo made by PPU of Serbia. I have a K-98 Mauser shoots PPU great, my handloads not so good. I think the velocity in my handloads was too high. Listed vel. for 8mm PPU, 2160 fps, crono 2060, handloads too high and light bullet.