Electric VS Gasoline powered vehicles

I would have said " If you can’t stay in business, close the business & look for other employment."

6 Likes

tapatalk_1425368099

8 Likes

That problem is shrinking with newer reactor designs. Heck, liquid sodium reactors don’t use water at all.

4 Likes

Purified melted lead cooled.

3 Likes

The countries you mention in your article are much smaller than the US & lower populations. That could easily be the reason. Meanwhile the rest of the world will do the cheapest easiest power generating.

4 Likes

China, the biggest source of climate-warming greenhouse gases, has pledged to raise total wind and solar capacity to 1,200 gigawatts by 2030, almost double the current rate, with plans to build large-scale renewable energy bases in northwestern desert regions.

• North Carolina remains No. 1. For the second year in a row, North Carolina is leading the charge on renewable energy. The state increased its production of renewables by nearly 52% between 2014 and 2019, which is double the average of all 50 states. The Tar Heel State also received by far the most USDA funding from 2004 to 2021: $1.5 billion.
  • Emissions are falling, but not quickly enough. Though many researchers estimate that carbon emissions must be cut in half over the next decade, recent national decreases have been minimal. From 2013 to 2018, U.S. carbon emissions fell by only -1.40%. Across the 50 states, Arizona leads the way for its five-year change in carbon emissions (-15.16%) while Mississippi ranks worst (10.85%).
  • West Virginia is last, again. Known for its coal mining, it’s no surprise that West Virginia ranks last for its focus on renewables. In fact, this is the third time the state is at the bottom of our rankings. West Virginia has the fewest statewide policies and incentives geared toward renewable energy (8) and ranks second-worst for renewable energy as a percentage of total energy production (0.81%).
2 Likes

China also says it won’t invade Taiwan or Russia.
Don’t hold your breath.

6 Likes

The China Passenger Car Association (CPCA) released November statistics today and confirmed that Tesla sold 52,859 China-made vehicles in November.

21,127 of those vehicles were exported, and the rest, 31,732, were sold in China.

The numbers are slightly down versus last month when Tesla sold 54,391 China-made vehicles, but they are up a stunning 348% year-over-year.

2 Likes

Oh that’s wonderful, more Chinese crap coming our way. Joy :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

They bought most of it. Mon-Thur builds? :person_shrugging:

The electric vehicle (EV) market in the United States broke records in 2021, estimated at just under 607,600 light electric vehicle sales.

Rivian R1T

The Rivian R1T is one of the best American made EVs I’m most excited about this year. I can see the R1T being my electric pickup of choice when it’s time to add such a beast to the family. Why? Because this pickup has a battery system able to handle anything from 130 F to -25 F (pretty handy for Canada!), and is set to increase its range from 300 or more miles to 400 or more in January 2022.

The R1T has a quad-motor, can reach 60 mph in 3 seconds, has a towing capacity of up to 11,000 lbs. and a wading depth of more than 3 ft. It also boasts matte-black finishes throughout and vegan leather seating, and specially tuned audio with removable (i.e., portable) Bluetooth speaker. There’s a fantastic panoramic all-glass roof, with an open-air removable roof option to be offered in mid-2022.

The Rivian EV truck offers storage in the bed, front trunk, rear storage bin, under-seat compartments, center console and gear tunnel, amounting to more than 68 cubic feet of storage. It even boasts a pull-out camp kitchen, which is why I’ve included it in my best conversion vans for mobile living (despite it not being available yet!). The R1T limited run Launch Edition costs $75,000 and is slated for delivery in June 2021. The main R1T line starts at $67,500 however and is set for delivery in January 2022. These trucks are built at the former Mitsubishi plant in Normal, Illinois.

3 Likes

Funny, I saw on the news just this morning that Tesla may be filing for bankruptcy. Guess the government printing presses can’t print money fast enough to subsidize them.
Remember Solyndra? They also declared bankruptcy when they couldn’t get more subsidies.

8 Likes

Bankruptcy is one of Elon Musk’sfavorite words. He is fond of pointing out that the only American car companies that haven’t gone bankrupt are Ford Motor F +1.38% and TeslaTSLA +3.02% .

He used his favorite word many times in a recent interview with the TeslaOwners of Silicon Valley Club. That word might alarm investors. Tesla (ticker: TSLA) bears will cry foul saying that kind of talk should generate a news release. Really, this isn’t that big a deal.

“The past two years have been an absolute nightmare of supply chain interruptions, one thing after another," Musk said in an interview with a Tesla owners group. “We’re not out of it yet. That’s overwhelmingly our concern is how do we keep the factories operating so we can pay people and not go bankrupt.”

1 Like
5 Likes

Better than gas range? :person_shrugging: it’s coming…:+1::face_with_monocle::sunglasses:

The Vision EQXX previews a future when, potentially, electric vehicles can travel such great distances that people won’t need to worry much about where to charge up. Today, range anxiety — the fear of running out of energy before making it to a charging station — ranks among the biggest concerns for existing and would-be electric-car owners.

With this latest trip, Mercedes-Benz handily beat every electric vehicle on sale today. Tesla’s longest-range vehicle, the Model S, can travel a bit over 400 miles per charge, The Environmental Protection Agency estimates. Lucid Motors, a new startup, sells a $169,000 sedan that’s rated to travel 520 miles between stops, making it the rangiest vehicle on the market.

1 Like

My 1 ton Duramax diesel crewcab with it’s 120 gallon fuel capacity has a 2040 mile range without a trailer and a 1560 mile range pulling my 34 foot travel trailer. I paid $20,000 for it used. Why would I pay $169,000 for a sedan that will only go 520 miles that can’t pull anything.

12 Likes

But you’ll miss out on having the chance to drive around with that smug “look at me and the good I’m doing for the environment with my overpriced purchase” look on your face as you pass all those evil gasoline burning heathen. We won’t talk about the feeling you’ll get when you receive the repair bill after a motor or the batteries bite the dust… :smirk:

5 Likes

That’s not comparing apples to apples…for starters…:face_with_monocle::apple:

Give ‘em time. The early computers were high dollar too…

The most basic model of an HP 3000 sold for $95,000 in 1972, the equivalent of more than $600,000 in today’s dollars, but not all personal computers released in the early 1970s cost as much.

2 Likes

My point exactly! When electric vehicles can compete in performance, durability, and cost I will take a serious look. Until then, I’m not interested.

9 Likes

What’s the cost for a complete fill-up for your “chariot” these days? :face_with_monocle:

Does it have a 30K or 60K service interval and what’s the dealer servicing cost?

I do all of the servicing on two vehicles and it’s boring and expensive…50 years is enough to swing wrenches and deal with fluid changeout etc…well minus the 13 years living on a sailboat when life was simple…2 shirts, 2 shorts, 2 towels…:scream::grin:

Recent quote for 50K mile service on my 016 Subaru AWD CrossTrek was over $900.00. :rage: Did it myself but it took 2 days and I had a ton of used crap to deal with…and was mildly sick for 2 days from swinging wrenches and smelling used fluids. Still haven’t touched the radiator or flushed the brake lines…but I will.

I watch a lot of “cloaked” EV’s on my hiway#9 here. It’s a proving ground course for them with all the up and downhills…and great places for them to have a free lunch in Black Mountain or Lake Lure.

I have to be careful as every time I say I want to do something or acquire something, it happens…:scream:

I’m trying to hold out for a personal drone…my problem is driving cars and trucks literally puts me to sleep in about 30-40 minutes! Views from above should keep me awake…:grin:

Batteries are going to evolve quickly…the good thing is they are easy to swap out.

2 Likes
3 Likes