M*CARBO Brotherhood

Ear Protection Question (ear buds)

Hearing loss is a royal pain so we’re trying to preserve what we still have. The wife is already prescribed hearing aids. The bigger issue is while at the range, aids out and ear pro in, she’s deaf as a stone, I’m thinking of the digital ear buds for her, the ear muff style isn’t an option. I think the ear muffs would be better but those interfere with her cheek weld. (and she doesn’t like them/won’t wear them) Anyone with experience with these, do they work?

7 Likes

Im sorry i couldnt hear the question :laughing:. I bought a couple pairs of the muffs from academy so my nieces and nephews can use them when they go shooting with me or when we go to the turkey shoots. I know i should do a better job of using hearing protection myself. I do allways try to put my plugs in as i dont care for the earmuffs myself. As for the digital buds ive heard good things. Even one of the sharks on sharktank a couple weeks ago was going on and on about the digtal buds and how he carries them everywhere and uses them for everything from sports events to concerts and so on.

8 Likes

I use the muffs, which are great. But do sometimes interfere with cheek welds.
I’ve been looking at getting these and they have a lot of good reviews.

8 Likes

Thanks for the link. If you should get those soon, let me now how they work out for you. I’m looking at this set but still weighing options. And there’s lots of options…
GS Electronic – AXIL (goaxil.com)

8 Likes

I use a 3 year old version of:

They are excellent for my needs. I do hate buying replacement ear cushions 'cause they onky come in packages with three sizes - so 4 of 6 are worthless to me.

Bluetooth works well and they are comfortable for hours at a stretch (wear them mowing too). Conversations at the range are very comfortable with adjustable amplification of hearing safe level sounds.

6 Likes

Thanks @Dred , another great suggestion. I’ve found Tractor Supply also has these and sells them for 120 and local pick up available for me.

5 Likes

I have a set of the walkers razor Bluetooth neck worn ear plugs and am not overly impressed. My last range session I had issues with one of the earplugs constantly falling out. It’s the first time I’ve encountered the issue, but aside from that I found myself checking the settings all the time to make sure they were still connected and on ( which they were) because they didn’t seem to be doing much of a job of dampening the sound of the gunshots.

My wife was using my Howard Leight Impact Sport Pro headphones with electronic dampening which I ended up buying a second pair of. They work really well and for $20 on Amazon you can purchase a set of gel ear pads that take them to a whole new level of comfort.

5 Likes

when I got to the indoor or outdoor range I wear double protection. Foam ear plugs and Mickey Mouse ears

1 Like

If you don’t need to talk while you shoot, standard ear muffs with a 30 rating work excellent.

2 Likes

@Festus

I just got an email this morning with this deal on it. Just thought I’d pass it along

3 Likes

Thanks @SteveE Got a chuckle reading the 3yr warrantee…“chewed by your dog” Already had to have one of her hearing aids replaced for that.

1 Like

Had the same issue with Apple air pods.

2 Likes

I feel your pain @Festus. I switch off with my ear pro, depending on what’s shooting near me, or whether I’m doing RSO duty for a whole day.

When I’m doing RSO, I wear a pair of Walker earbuds. They’re not Bluetooth, but they do amplify and shut down at appropriate times. They’re more comfortable to wear all day than muffs. What I like the least about them is putting in those Itty bitty batteries every time I use them, and then taking them out again at the end of the day.

There’s a good video on YouTube comparing the Walker around the neck model with the Axil offering. I’m considering the Axils due to their ability to be recharged and the Bluetooth feature. That’s my 2 cents.

2 Likes

What model? Bluetooth isn’t necessary for us and all I’ve seen are Walker w/BT.

1 Like

I don’t know which model these are. I bought them from Midway on sale for about $60 a year or so ago. As I said, they work OK for me.

3 Likes

Thanks @OldSpook . I’ll look at Midway, my luck those have been discontinued. Seems everybody wants the BT now. After years of carrying the “electronic leash” for work, I don’t even like to use the phone unless it’s absolutely necessary.

3 Likes

Please read the reviews on Amazon and other places. I bought a set and they are a $250.00 paper weight. The app doesn’t work on Android at all. Only half works with IOS and company support is truly 0. Unfortunately I bought them and didn’t try to use them until the 30 day return period was up. They can be used without the app but it is a pain.

1 Like

Sorry for kind of changing the subject here, but has anyone ever wore the Walker Razor electronic ear muffs to an INDOOR range? I have the gel pads installed and they are extremely comfortable that way. And they are excellent outside. But I’ve never used them inside, and was wondering if someone has.

On another note I am interested in earbuds also, so I’m still reading this thread with great interest.

2 Likes

@Jperr I don’t have Walker muffs, I have a different brand (Howard Leight Impact Sport). I wear them at the indoor range and they work. The only thing I don’t like is that there’s air circulating units behind the shooting line, and the electronic muffs picks that up. It’s a constant annoying humming. I usually just turn the muffs off if I’m shooting by myself

2 Likes

I wear an industrial brand called Hellberg. Good enough I can use my ak indoor and still be fine after a few hundred.

https://www.hellbergsafety.com/products/hearing-protection/passive/E0025-secure_3_headband/184176

2 Likes