M*CARBO Brotherhood

Duty Pistol W/Red Dot - Update

Here’s one for any of you who might be thinking about making the switch from iron sights to a red dot.

Howard

11 Likes

Already made the switch for my carry guns, running a romeo 0 on my 366 xl

9 Likes

Thank you for the update. I watched the first review. Glad it’s working out so well for you.
Keep up the great reviews “Carry On”.

3 Likes

Dots >>>> irons all day long haha.

6 Likes

Until I can hit the broadside of a barn with the new P320, I’m not sure it would make a difference in my case… :grinning:

5 Likes

As long as the shooter is willing to invest the time and $ to train with it when they transition from irons. Theres a definite learning curve and unless you train through it youll be slower with a dot than irons

6 Likes

@Chris19d I’m sure everyone’s different and has their own experiences but I was lucky and picked it up immediately. Maybe it was from shooting so much PCC. Idk. I still try to stay proficient with irons. But dots are super Gucci lol

4 Likes

In my experience,youre the the exception. Most people ive introduced to pistol red dots have had to do a decent amount of training to become proficient with them. Ive done a ton of shooting with red dot equipped rifles prior to starting to use red dots on pistols and it still took me a few hundred rounds to get back to where i was with irons and a few hundred past that to start seeing gains

5 Likes

That’s pretty much my experience too. For whatever reason, it seemed to be a much more natural transition with a rifle than it was with a pistol.

Howard

5 Likes

Thanks for the update. Rewind two weeks … que girlfriend: “What the heck are you doing? Every couple minutes you’re brandishing the TV.”

If this video had been more timely, I’d have qued it up. Instead, I had to attempt the muscle memory/find the dot explanation.

Turns out what I had to do was determine that every shot is a “point” shot. I’m pretty likely to land with a reticle in the sight picture when my focus is stopping the target instead of focussing on finding the reticle. This is 'cause I’m a decent point shooter and when I’m on target, I can see the reticle. Yes, I had to learn not to try tuning the POI until after I was ready on the trigger.

I’m seeing a Holosun 507k in my future. But I’m gonna need a compact with a slide I’m willing to cut before that future arrives. The 938 will remain irons for ease of deep concealment. I’m vacillating between a less rare cz or an officer size 1911 (never owned one smaller than commander b4) but the winner will run a 507k sized dot eventually.

6 Likes

Imo it has to do with reference points, its easier to repeatedly shoulder a rifle in such a way that the dot is visible in the tube, with a pistol theres more variables and fewer fixed reference points (stock to shoulder, nose to charging handle etc like youd get with an AR) in presenting a pistol so that it is aligned so that the dot is visable

5 Likes

“What the heck are you doing? Every couple minutes you’re brandishing the TV.”

Doing that is suprisingly good training, my wife hates it when i do it though.

7 Likes

Fun too. Prolly best to make the pistol safe if you play stop the bad guys during anything emotionally charged. If your the type that yells at your TV screen - prolly just a bad idea less you need a good excuse to pop for one of them new ginormous 4k flat screens.

7 Likes

I’ve had a dot on my carry gun for a year, and been doing IDPA matches for practice. There’s some adjustment for sure but it’s definitely the future. I believe in backup irons and learning to shoot with them, but optics are the way to go. Being constantly threat/target focused is huge

4 Likes

I agree it certainly is the future. Im at the point where when im looking at a pistol for serious use i consider it a serious negative if there is not factory support for a red dot for example lack of factory red dot support was a major part of why i moved from M&Ps to a sig 365xl.

6 Likes

Yeah, S&W needs to expand their CORE line to include their compact and subcompact models. And come out with a 365 competitor.

Also the regular 365 needs an optics ready option. Everything needs to be optics ready.

4 Likes

That may be on the horizon. S&W is finally releasing a 2.0 CORE, so maybe some compacts will be coming soon.

Howard

4 Likes

Problem is the 2.0 compacts are huge for the capacity, same 12+1 as a 365/365 xl on a much larger and bulkier package

4 Likes

I suppose this begs the question: “Is there a point where a pistol can become too small?” It seems to me there might just be a point where handling is compromised.

Howard

7 Likes

There is 100% a line (exactly where is on a per caliber basis) where below a certain mass and dimensions handling is compromised

8 Likes