M*CARBO Brotherhood

Drill out stock pop-up peep sight?

The OEM peep sight is serviceable but I’ll likely upgrade it to the MCarbo notch sight. Before I do that, I was thinking of taking a drill bit and drilling out the peep sight so I have a larger area to see through…similar to how the upgraded MCarbo peep sight looks.

Has anyone tried this? I figure it’s a simple hack and should work just fine. Any recommendations? It seems like a fun thing to try before buying and installing the MCarbo notch sight.

7 Likes

Yes, several of us on here have done it. For me it made a big difference in acquiring a target. I was kind of a chicken and did it slowly by hand, started out small and worked my way up until I got it to where I wanted it.

6 Likes

Drill it out. Nothing to lose. You may like it fine. If not cut the top off and make your own notch site.

7 Likes

And if you screw it up, replacement sights are only $4.50 from Keltec.

6 Likes

You can absolutely drill out the factory sight and does improve your sight picture. For me, the stock peep is to low profile, I couldn’t get a low enough cheek weld to use the peep. The MCarbo peep and notch are longer and provide a higher sight line, a slight front sight post adjustment will be needed after the MCarbo sight install. Here are a few pics of the MCarbo notch sight on one of my S2K’s. The notch sight folds down into the slot just like the factory one, it also cowitnesses with the RDS no problem.

7 Likes

DocA - Thanks for the reply! This is exactly how I would do it too. Start slow and carefully. I’m always a little nervous about jumping in too hard and too fast. LOL. Thanks again! I will definitely try this.

2 Likes

TexasEskimo - Hah! Great idea. If it doesn’t work out I can make it a notch sight or buy another one from Kel-Tec for $4.50. =)

3 Likes

Phuzzy42 - Good point! For $4.50 there’s not much risk. Glad to know others have done this too. Thanks!

2 Likes

00Buck - Thanks so much for the photos and sharing them. Looks great!! I think I’m going to get the notch sights and install them. My only hesitation is that I don’t particularly love that MCarbo knob sticking out. I like the profile of the rifle. I doubt that little knob obtrudes to make a difference but that was my only concern. Considering it’s metal and very nicely machined I’d rather have that sight.

4 Likes

If You look some Where on this Topic on the Forum, I Posted Pictures of mine After drilling the Old Style/Plastic for Testing’ and After The Update New Peep Sight by MCarbo The Sight Plane Is Perfect’ The Inside Edges of Peep Line up with the Wings on Front Sight,No Searching for the Post Etc, 7/32’
And with the New Tip Out Mount From M
C No Problems with a Burris 3 Fast Fire Cowitness on top of Front post.

6 Likes

I did mine by hand…works great!

5 Likes

I did mine by hand with a 9/64ths drill bit…sharp of course. It improves the field of view and matched the front sight perfectly.

5 Likes

I did this on my M1A SOCOM. After installing NM sights front and rear, I progressively drilled out the rear to suit.

3 Likes

I understand the desire to drill out consecutive diameters to find the right size hole (esp. as eyes get worse). I put a Lake Compass flip on my LAR-15, because it is shaded, and the peep is actually a tiny plate that can be changed out.

I got the MCARBO replacement for the S2K for a couple of reasons. One was so I could put it up or down at will. The KelTec guys say you could break off a couple of tips on the stock sight, but I’d rather not. If you haven’t seen the MCARBO one, the hole in the peep is beveled, which makes it easier for me to see.

Mostly, I don’t use the sights. Too hard without a stock, as the tube sits too low to get my head over quickly to line them up. I just look over the top of everything toward the target, and at 25 yds., looking at center mass, all of the hits are a fist or so high, and within a fist-size area (your mileage may vary). If I need a head shot (say, in a match stage), the MCARBO peep and Red Lion front work well.

3 Likes

That’s what I did on my M1A SOCOM after I put NM sights on it. I started with a number drill set and worked up until I got what was usable to me. Another trick is to drill it out big and thread it for Holley main jets.

2 Likes

really, it’s a $4 part and not rocket science, drill it to 1/8" and be happy.

Thanks for the feedback. See above. I drilled it out shortly after receiving the first bit of feedback on the forum. Thanks all!

1 Like

I FILED mine, filing inside the TOP of the hole, then to the sides making it more round. I then drilled to make it perfectly round. This moves the center of the hole somewhat higher. This with the larger hole improved the peep sights considerably.

7 Likes

@ ColoradoRick I have the MC peep sight and I was working to hard to find the opening and then seeing through it. I know that sounds convoluted. I decided to paint the interior bevel and like it much more. Hope you get the idea of the sight view I have from these pics.

7 Likes

Thanks. Turns out I just happen to have some sight paint here, so I can experiment with some colors. In the past, I’ve mixed green and yellow to get a sort-of safety yellow. Also, I replaced the front AR post in my Red Lion with a Mako phosphorescent front post a while back.

4 Likes