Domestic terrorists?

Sitting up here in my hunting cabin watching the morning news with my coffee. Somebody deliberately took out two power sub stations in North Carolina. I can’t help but wonder what if…What if all fossil fuels were gone and people were using 100%. Electric. It affected over 40,000 people in this case. Imagine if people were totally dependent on the grid. I know some people on here are off grid and self sufficient but let’s face it. Most city folk would die if they had to go through a survival situation.

13 Likes

People take electricity for granted.
It’s one of the essentials that is overlooked until is gone.
The government doesn’t protect those essential facilities, leaves that to the utility owners… I think this is a big vulnerability.

7 Likes

The power plant can easily be protected but it’s the miles & miles of overhead primary/ secondary distribution system. Substations you see sitting around that are very likely to be attacked because they’re isolated in many places. This is not rocket science.

7 Likes

You’d be surprised at how few substations going off line it would take to collapse the entire grid nationwide.

7 Likes

I did this scenario as an exercise many years ago for the then Government offices for the English regions, They thought it was an unreal scenario, until i pointed out that no lights, no heating for many people, no power in buildings or streets, No petrol being pumped, nothing nada so think on and plan for the loss.
Idiots had no idea, didnt even have torches ( flashlights in their response kits), their plans were to drive ( I pointed out no traffic lights so grid locked roads ) i could go on but hey if stupid people in charge dont get it then what’s the point? Plan for yourselves and stay ahead of the game, My emergency milsurp rucksack is full and constantly updated with basic emergency stuff to tide me over).

7 Likes

Wrong, were talking about terrorism not the everyday running of substations. We aren’t talking about the entire grid going down either.

2 Likes

And the very best answer is : What John said :wink:
Larry

7 Likes

I’m going out on a limb here and guess you don’t like Donald Trump.

4 Likes

Also no fresh water, pumping stations and treatment plants need power.

5 Likes

It always turns into politics. Could have been interesting to read and comment. But… instead… another thread muted.

@moderators Can you make an asterisk (*) on all threads that are political so I can mute them before I waste time reading them? Thank you. :+1:

5 Likes

But are we? It could of been a couple of bored kids. They said the damage was caused by gun fire. I suppose it very well could be domestic terrorists, or some idiots that ran out of road signs to blast

5 Likes

Just make a level 4 forum members thread where the political idiot kings and queens can “cry-kick-scream” and snicker at each other all day and night…:popcorn::sunglasses:

I’m glad I have a cabin in the mountains. I heat with wood, have a spring on the land ( no running water yet but I’m used to it) and plenty of candles, matches, flint if needed, batteries for flashlights and, most importantly, bullets for my firearms!:grin:

7 Likes

I am also talking about terrorism.
Attack on Nine Substations Could Take Down U.S. Grid - IEEE Spectrum.

4 Likes

See you there :wink:

3 Likes

I guess that the article I read a few weeks back about Russian maleware sleeping in the software of 12 different substations should be concerning. They won’t take it out because they’re not sure what damage THAT would do. So kinda just letting it sit there for now? I’ll try to find that article again.

7 Likes

In most systems where a program can’t be extracted, it most likely still can be fire walled in to a section of the database/server/mainframe to deny functionality and mitigate most of the damage it may cause. But as you said…it’s still there

5 Likes

Kinda, sorta related. I was a global program manager for EDS (now HP) in the late 1990’s. Had to collect uptime metrics for the powers that be. I had a basic question on a particular server for the engineers… “Which clients are on this server”. Their collective response after a week was “We don’t really know for certain”. Their collective mouths dropped when I told them to power it off. After about 15-20 minutes of incoming very pissed off client calls… we had a complete list. Brilliant, right?

5 Likes

1 Like

HERE WE GO BOYS! Today there were confirmed targeted attacks on power stations in Oregon and Washington

4 Likes