M*CARBO Brotherhood

Does Anyone Use A Ballistic Chronograph?

does anybody have any experience using a ballistic chronograph.
I have been thinking of buying one but I would like to hear some feedback first,
Might change my mind depending on what i hear from others.

Jeff

4 Likes

I use a Caldwell Ballistic precision chrono. It serves its purpose for me. Its definitely not the fanciest one out there. I mainly use when im working up new load data. I’ll make up 10 rounds with different charges and then test. Helps me to see if my velocities are good for penetration purposes, and sometimes going with a higher charge the accuracy drops off without big gains in velocity, so helps me work up perfect loads for individual guns.

6 Likes

Thanks. I would use one for the purpose.
Like you I dont need it to be fancy, just accurate. will yours keep data for multiple sets of rounds? or do you need to write each down manually?

3 Likes

I have two. I still have the Oehler 35P proof Chrono I started with. It is an exceptional Chrono. The “proof” part references the fact that it has 3 screens instead of two. Basically, it takes two independent measurements of a projectile crossing the screens. If they are wildly different, it let’s you know it has data which is suspect. I have not used it even once since hopping on the Labradar wagon. The Labradar uses Doppler radar to track and report velocity at the muzzle plus 5 predetermined distances. This is the feature that won the invitation into my wallet. With a traditional screened Chrono getting a measurement of velocity at 100 yards requires serious confidence in shot placement.

If you are familiar with the process of working up a load, the Labradar makes it a joy 'cause reading velocities does not interfere with accuracy determination. When I shoot across screens, my only concern is getting a velocity with ventilating the Chrono. If you find my post in the best ammo for 9mm S2k, the spreadsheets linked were collected and calculated by the Labradar - I copied them up to Google from an SD card. At the range, the same data is available through a Bluetooth connection to phone or tablet and the velocity data is available from the screen on the Labradar.

5 Likes

You can link it to a phone or Ipad and download app to go with it. Logs the info for you. Hopefully this link works. If it does this is the exact package i use currently.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/628006/caldwell-ballistic-precision-chronograph-premium-kit

4 Likes

Wow! Could you post a pic so I can see what you’re talking about??

3 Likes

yeah, that is what i have been trying to decide. do i need that step up in quality for what i will spend to get it? and yes, i watched a guy send his to the great beyond one time. I really did feel for him.

NO UNDO-REDO there.

2 Likes

oh man, I have been reading about that. You will just love the data collection capabilities.
Its going to be one of those “immediately envisioned” experiences. LOL

2 Likes

supper call. be back in a few

1 Like

I use a Chrony Alpha, so for I have had good luck with this unit. R S

2 Likes

I have used a basic Caldwell unit for several years. Has worked perfect for me and ladder testing new rounds. I would enjoy a new Doppler type unit but the extra stuff it provides just isn’t worth the way high cost to me…that’s just me…what do I know. I’ve been harvesting deer with a Winchester Model 94 lever action since the 70’s and still am. Yes their are more expensive units but the cost benefit calculation doesn’t make me want to change at this point.

3 Likes

thanks for the link. this is one that i like out of the ones i have looked at so far. not terribly expensive for a first buy.

1 Like

I have used the pro chronograph for 4 years now. With the USB attachment I get all kinds of data not to mention all stored on my tablet or phone. No need to ever ask for a cease fire again to check results or change strings of fire.

2 Likes

yes, being able to capture and store all the data just has many advantages.

1 Like

Looking to get ideas for an inexpensive and simple chronograph that I can use to test the different loads I am shooting both from my GLOCKS and from my Hi Point 40 S&W carbine. Not looking for a super fancy one but on that does the job. Something that can be used both indoors and outdoors if that makes a difference. Any ideas or suggestion? Thank you everyone.

8 Likes

I’ve been using chronograph’s for decades. For an inexpensive choice,the Chrony F-1 is a very good unit to use for all types of firearms.
I mainly use a Magnetospeed V3,but it’s mainly for rifle’s and mounts to the end of the barrel or on a suppressor.

6 Likes

Thank you Sir. I will check them out
Tom

2 Likes

Happy Birthday @TomT.

I can’t help you on the inexpensive front. But I can tell you the pennies I scraped together for my last chrono (the one I’ll never shoot) are not missed. I run a Labradar and I won’t trade the safe positioning and actual tracking for the old pile of pennies. Knowing the speed and energy at the target is invaluable. But it costs like a decent optic.

The Labradar replaced an Oehler 35P which was also awesome. I never actually shot it, but throwing that money out between the muzzle and the target was stressful.

To your questions:. I’d definitely pay the premium for blue tooth control and data logging.

6 Likes

I’ve been shooting a Chrony F-1 for years and, for my purposes, it works just fine. What is it they say? As long as it makes ME happy. Lol!!

6 Likes

Dred,
Thanks for the B-day greetings and also for the info on the chron. Will be looking at ones that I can blue tooth my phone too.
Tom

2 Likes