Do you have a reload recipe for

I am looking for a recipe for a 45acp wadcutter.
I have books, subscriptions and I have google.
I have not been able to find a recipe for 45 wadcutter. Revolver, low recoil, lead, about
180gr. Custom bullet.

My online attorney will cut off your nuts if you
tell me to google and I will remove you from
my will.

4 Likes

which powder are you using? You’re just loading for target since you want a low pressure load? I’m not familiar with trying to load a Full wadcutter bullet in an acp case. These would present problems in a semi auto so I imagine they’re pretty close to impossible to find.
I can tell you that if you want a low pressure target load go with RNFP bullet (coated if possible) with HP-38 or Winchester 231 powder and a COL of 1.14" will generate about 11-12000psi. on a start load of 5gn. and Federal LP primer.
By comparison a coated 180gn. SWC using a recommended start load of 8gn. Ramshot Silhouette powder is going to generate around 16,500psi with the same primer.
Hope this helps. The only thing I could find loads in .45LC for full wad cutter.

2 Likes

Thank you. @Grumpyolman
The load is for a revolver and I am using cast bullets 160 gr. Titegroup is my powder.

1 Like

I’m curious, are you using LC cases? I’m wondering if they would work

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

No they are for a friends Ruger Redhawk.

1 Like

Hope this helps you 180 a .5 should not make a difference

3 Likes

@Maddog1 This is Great. Thank you.

2 Likes

It’s for ACP right on the redhawk or 45lc

1 Like

I have blackhawk in 45acp/45lc super redhawk in 45lc . Also Smith and Wesson governor so I load for all of them also cast .

2 Likes

I have a Lyman cast bullet handbook covers rifle cast bullets and pistal bullets. There are rcbs old old reloading books very limited on rifle and pistal cast edition. Theres other sights if you type your information takes you to different forms I haven’t been on there a good while but people will help you out you also need to know the hardness of the 180 swc.

1 Like

If you need anymore information on cast bullets I’ll email pictures of what I have in my reloading books. MADDOG001. I been waiting to get a surgery done so I’m pretty bored have time on my hands to help you if you want it. Email deleon4848@gmail.com

1 Like

yes please just sent an email

I have found 4.5 grains of 700X to be extremely accurate with the RCBS 45-185 from several S&W .45 ACP revolvers.

If you give me the grains in the 45 acp that you want to load I can send pictures of the reloading book covering it. It has the 160 swc,170swc,Lyman 180 hp,185 swc,200 Lyman 452460,200 Lyman 452630,215,225,230.

Lyman book 1973

This Lyman book dated 1973 low pressure loads.ill upload the new version shortly.

1 Like

That is a great book. I treasure mine.