M*CARBO Brotherhood

Difficulty Firing from the Prone Position

All Things SUB-2000!

Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble firing the SUB2K from the prone position? I’m serious it’s a difficult maneuver for me. I just gave up as it was that difficult to comfortably align the rear and front sight. I tried last fall and it’s been on my mind to ask. I wanted to try again, especially if everyone else has no problem. The butt stock is pinned in the 3rd (farthest out) setting. Maybe I have a military neck, the condition, called cervical kyphosis? Note that I have no problem firing my other rifles or shotguns.

7 Likes

@Moosecall I too find it extremely difficult to fire the S2K from a prone position. It is nearly impossible to get a low enough and correct angle on the bolt tube to get a proper sight picture. An elevated optic helps.

Of course, with my age and arthritis the biggest problem with a prone shooting position is getting back up. Maybe I need one of those “I’ve fallen and can’t get up” buttons. :grinning:

7 Likes

LOL I hear you brother. OK so it wasn’t just me. I have a butt pad and recoil buffer to still install. Not sure if the extra length of adding the butt stock will do much difference. I might have to move the butt in a notch. Agreed, the solution will most likely be an optic of some sort. I was thinking of ordering the swing optic mount, but I am a lefty, maybe should have mentioned that. I also installed the shell deflector. For a lefty works great and also makes collecting casing much easier.

6 Likes

@Moosecall Even with the optic mount, you may need a small riser if you plan to shoot prone very often. I am extremely happy with the optic mount other than the added depth it creates when the Sub is folded - and the cost. It has so far remained rock-solid despite repeated deployment. I would not think being a lefty would create any serious problems with the mount but I cannot definitively speak to that being extremely right handed.

5 Likes

Hey, great points, never thought to consider the riser, I would have missed that. If you don’t mind…I searched the web on the riser options. Lots of them out there. First thing I noticed, that is neat, that some you can still use the sights on probably most carbines but the SUB2K front sight is somewhat tall so that wouldn’t work and these are fixed so I wouldn’t want that in the way of folding closed. What riser would you suggest be used with a side mounted swing optic mount?

4 Likes

@Moosecall I would try a short 1/2 inch riser mounted on TOP of the flip mount. That way the riser also will flip out of the way and allow an unobstructed view of the fixed sights. It is not possible to put a riser under the flip mount as it anchors to the side of the sub.

As you probably know, the price for such a riser truly ranges from $10 to $120, so it is a matter of personal preference and finance. I tend to be relatively cheap.

Remember though that a riser will further increase the depth added by the swing optic mount when the sub is folded.

6 Likes

I see, and cost is always a consideration for me as well and of course the depth and weight. I am trying to stay as light weight as possible. Also my carry is a soft laptop bag and would like to keep the current configuration as it works well. TYVM, I’ll further investigate my options for top fitting riser, flip optic mount combo.
Cheers,

3 Likes

@Moosecall Welcome to the Brotherhood if I haven’t Already.
As far as “To the Help me I’ve Fallen & can’t get Up Situation” I’ve Found Myself Included in Mid 70’s That a good set of Suspenders and Calling ‘‘Nurse’’ Gets my Grand kids Attention and Help ! :grin:
I Drilled the Rear Factory Plastic Peep Sight to 7/32nd, and made all the difference in the World for Me, Now the sight View is in tune with the Outer Wings of Front Sight, Easier to find for myself Just a Thought
Enclosed is a Picture of my View.

8 Likes

Very interesting! I see you also have the swing optic mount, or is it? Is that a red dot?
Kind of hard to tell but I definitely see your point. No pun intended.
I don’t know, I’m kind of reluctant to drill that out, possibly as a lost resort.
Wonder if it would make a difference in my shooting accuracy?

5 Likes

@Moosecall Don’t fret drilling out the stock sight. If you don’t like it, a new one from KelTec is only $5.00.

5 Likes

Lol, yes I thought that as well. Out of curiosity I watched Chris’s video. And it’s very simple. In fact I noticed the replacement rear tactical folding sight appears to be the diameter recommended 7/32nd by DivaMarie. It’s a great idea all-around.
Next time out shooting I’ll confirm if the widening of the peep sight will work.
Cheers,

4 Likes

All the Damn Difference in the World’ :smile: And Ive still got 20/20 in the Old Eye Balls.

2 Likes

Yes Fast Fire 3 and it’s just what this Old Man Needed’ :rofl:

3 Likes

I can’t get down to the prone position since my double knee replacement. To much pain to lay on the stomach. Can’t kneel down either. I have learned to squat and shoot and lay on my side and shoot. Getting old just makes it a little harder to do things.

6 Likes

Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble firing the SUB2K from the prone position?

Hello KM55
So sorry to hear. Hang in there, your still shooting. Perhaps one of these would be of assistance. “This year, about 6,000 suits will be sold, mainly for rehabilitation. By 2025, ABI expects to see about 2.6 million on the market.”

5 Likes

Not that bad yet, maybe in another 10 years if I’m still around. who know there will be another medical BS that will kill us all before ten.

1 Like

Good to hear. I’m going to try and get some shooting in today and check that prone position with the thought in mind of drilling out the rear sight, as was suggested. If it appears it will make a difference I’ll do it. And as also mentioned if I am not satisfied can always purchase a replacement. It’s not that big of a deal not being able to fire in the prone position with factory sights, more of a surprise. Never thought that would happen. Live and learn. And I concur, what is in the next round, when and how will it hit.
Cheers,

1 Like

Well, back from the makeshift range and reporting that I’m not going to be shooting the SUB2K (out of the box, no mods) from the prone position with open sights.

I commend others that have tried and are OK with it.

If I can keep the weight down (lefty shooter), will most likely add an optic.
Cheers,

3 Likes