M*CARBO Brotherhood

Did someone say guitars

It has been suggested that we have a thread devoted to stringed instruments. I guess I can start thing off. I have been playing guitar for the last 62 years as I started at 13. I come from a musical family, my father played guitar, fiddle and stand-up bass and my grandfather was a guitar and fiddle player. My first guitar was a hand me down acoustic built in the mid 40s. Then a Harmony acoustic electric. I had a lull in playing when I was in the Army but picked one up again in Germany in 1967. I have owned and sold many guitars over the years (even built three). Here is my current lineup.

After trying several amps, I currently run a Blues Jr and a Fender Mustang I.

5 Likes

Nice opener @KPW, I like the backstory as well.

Now I’m gonna have to bust out the camera and girls for a photo shoot…

5 Likes

First guitar I have a photo of. It was a Strat knockoff. The year was 1970.

7 Likes

@KPW yep that ashtray is real 1970s :smiley:

4 Likes

Early 80s I tried a classical.

5 Likes

@KPW Couple of great old photos. :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

Ah hem, we’re waiting…

4 Likes

Yeah, what’s with this guy anyway… :roll_eyes: :grinning:

3 Likes

Would these tawdry wares suffice?

Sorry, lighting was $hit, didn’t do the colors justice but you get the idea.

4 Likes

I picked this up at a Pawn shop a couple years ago for $136.00 (Washburn)
Had Not Touched a Guitar Since Before Nam. Am Really Enjoy Open E
Tuning and Learning all Over again @ 70+ :grinning:

6 Likes

Noodling on a guitar was some of the best spent time in my youth. Suppose it still is today… :grinning:

5 Likes

Wish I could still play. Never played guitar but I played a mean fiddle and viola. My wife (she plays guitar, bass, mandolin and cittern) and I would sit in the kitchen and play Celtic music and the cat would get pissed and start biting my elbow whenever he could reach it. Can’t play for more than 10 or 15 minutes now before my fingers sieze up. :frowning_face:

5 Likes

@phuzzy42 This is a concern of mine. Life has not been kind to the fingers, just wondering if the day will come when I can’t…

5 Likes

Nothing wrong with that, versatile instrument…and the sound of the mandolin is hard to beat. Up there with bagpipes for me. I like the pipes.

4 Likes