Did A Conversion Job On My Remy 597

I’d like to thank the nice folks at MCARBO for making an amazing product. I did the complete hammer and spring kit on my Remington 597, but I didn’t stop there. I also replaced the extractor, plunger, and extractor spring with the kit from MCARBO, and it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I took off the glass the factory shipped with the rifle and replaced it with a Nikon Prostaff P3 made for rimfire use. I also drilled in a rifle sling mount and added a bipod.

One major gripe about the build quality of the 597. I’m not half as angry about the cheap quality of the extractor as I am the receiver. I ordered Weaver rails made by Remington specifically for the 597 only to find out the tap holes on the receiver were already stripped of the threads. The rifle was shipped in that condition. I mounted the scope on the original dovetail rings, but ordered a dovetail-to-Weaver conversion rail from Amazon. I was so irritated at Remy for shipping a rifle with stripped threads in the receiver housing.

Other than that, it has really come together. I can’t wait to get her out on the range and see what she’ll do.

4 Likes

@LCUChaparral

Does it seem like a ‘major fuss’ to tap and re-thread those holes??? Not knowing the size I am also questioning its size and conventional availability of the tap? There ‘always’ seems to challenges when one enjoys doing their own work but it seems to NEVER go as one planned? I ‘feel’ your pain!

1 Like

I don’t have the skills for that just yet. I’ve just gotten started; this is the first time I’ve ever replaced a trigger in any firearm I’ve ever owned. I’ve tapped threads in metal before, but never in metal this soft. When I can get a dovetail-to-Weaver adapter on Amazon for $8, it just seems a safer, surer option for me. I know that’ll work. I don’t know if I’ve got the skill to retap receiver threads.

2 Likes

@LCUChaparral

You will be surprised of how much knowledge you will gain from the MCARBO Brotherhood. I have also found American Gunsmithing Institute videos to be very helpful as well (not that they will make one a gunsmith.) You can find ‘inexpensive’ versions on ‘specific’ models for complete disassembly/reassembly help. I call the dvd versions, ‘Gunsmith On-Demand…’ :+1: ‘Skills’ will become 2nd nature if you have a ‘little’ mechanical aptitude and a willingness to dive into a firearm… The rest is ‘practice.’ Seems like you have all the necessary attributes??? I guess that makes you a ‘gun faggot’ like the rest of us?!? Big smiles! Again, welcome to The MCARBO Team!!! I look forward to your contributions…

2 Likes

Agreed Lonewolf. The more you tinker with it, watch videos, ask questions, you will be fine. That’s the cool thing about customizing a gun, you learn, and make it the way you like it, what works for you.

1 Like

Okay, the latest story of my new hobby of rudimentary gunsmithing, a new epic tale of from the annals of quality control from our friends in Ilion, New York. So I’m tearing down my son’s Remington 597 because the last trip to the range we were having FTE issues like crazy. He couldn’t get more than four rounds without a stovepipe.

So, I get the trigger box out of the receiver and replace the hammer with the M*CARBO kit and move on to replace the extractor.

Me: Okay, I have the guide rails out and I can pull the bolt out. Let’s get the extractor out, and…wait…WHERE’S THE EXTRACTOR…

I’m not kidding. Now, one of two things has happened here:

1.) The extractor either broke and flew out along with the plunger AND the friggin’ spring. Which I think I would’ve noticed, or…

2.). It never shipped with one.

When I first bought it, it would eject the spent brass fairly well. But, the jamming and FTE got steadily worse. Anyway, I got it repaired, but I’m not sure about buying another Remington again. I love the longer barrel and the accuracy that it has over the Ruger.

1 Like

I installed the MCARBO pro trigger kit and installed a Volquarsten hammer and extractor for my 22 mag 597 and the results were unbelievable! First I did the Volquarsten parts and fired the gun trying to get it to jam, and I couldn’t. Then I found out about MCARBO and loved the idea of the spring and aluminum bushings, so I installed that kit and this has now became one of my favorite rimfires I own. It has an excellent crisp trigger pull, great functionality, and accuracy now. Had I known about MCARBO sooner I would have probably just ordered everything from them. But it is nice to know with the list of parts I ended up with in my gun, it brought my trigger pull down to 2lbs 1 oz which is about as light as I want it considering I still want to chase down some racoons with this rifle. This was my first gun I worked on because I HAD to do something to fix the jams. Since then, I have installed 3 other trigger kits from MCARBO and now I have the fever trying to customize and improve every one of my guns, I had so much fun doing it.

2 Likes

@LCUChaparral

You know, it really sounds like my experience with my very first 10/22 Tactical Innovasions 80% receiver build… That really sucks the ‘fun’ out of anyone’s shooting experience? I had spent many hours of research. I wanted my equipment to be ‘light’ in weight. While I had achieved just that, the final ‘match grade’ of components did not measure up! I have a gun that shoots amazing, however the components are not of what I had ‘originally’ designed. So it is back to the drawing board with new ideas on my wife’s build. Unfortunately, I wont be able to afford all of the parts to make it until ‘after’ Christmas. I am sure that she won’t mind opening up different gun parts under our tree? Big smiles! She has expensive tastes just like me! She never was ‘priviliged’ to shoot a ‘custom’ firearm anyway! :+1:

1 Like