M*CARBO Brotherhood

Dehumidifier for small (2-gun) safe?

I’m leaving Florida tomorrow and heading North for about 5 months. I’ve cleaned my two handguns, added plenty of oil, but I’m worried about the possibility of damaging humidity for the contents of my 2-handgun safe and also my mags in my security cabinet.
Summers in So. Florida are extremely hot and humid, and although I keep the AC on and the humidistat on, I’m still worried about humidity leading to problems.
Any suggestions?

3 Likes

Amazon has a bunch. Your leaving before one could be shipped.

Maybe a LGS has one in stock?

1 Like

I have those items for my safe back up North. It’s a conventional gun safe. But what I have here is a small 2-hndgun safe (a “Brute”, made by V-Line, similar to the “Fort Knox” handgun safe). I can’t find anything to work in a small safe (approx. 12" long, 8" deep, and 5" high) like that and still leave room for the 2 handguns.

2 Likes

@JNAP you could try wrapping them in a oily cloth then stuff the safe with a towel or towels no air in safe no condensation

4 Likes

@JNAP For the specific situation you describe I would just pick up some desiccant at a hardware store, pour some into a small permeable bag or a pill container with holes in the lid and put it in the safe. Replace the desiccant every month. If you have saved them you could even use the small packets that come with various shipped items. Don’t buy desiccant at a gun store - it will cost at least double what it costs at the hardware store.

2 Likes

Thats what i use, just toss them in a corner on the shelves. Otherwise, you can pickup large capacity packets at your local UPS or Fedex stores too.

2 Likes

Thanks. This might work!

2 Likes

I thought of that, too, but the problem is that I won’t be back down here for almost 6 month. So, I can’t change them out every month. But thanks, anyway.

2 Likes

I thought of that, too, but the problem is that I won’t be back down here for almost 6 month. So, I can’t change them out every month. But thanks, anyway.

2 Likes

I think you can get plenty of desiccant in a small safe to last 6 months. I was just erring on the side of caution. You also could probably put each gun in a gallon ZipLock bag with its own pack of desiccant and squeeze out most of the air when sealing to minimize the intrusion of any additional humidity or vapor.

3 Likes

Great idea! Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

If you have Glocks (like me) I would recommend storing them I an open bucket filled with salt water, some sand, paint thinner, and rice (preferably Brown with Quinoa). Just pull them out when needed, no need to rinse them… they will work perfectly still.

4 Likes

Haha. One of them is a Glock, and it can pretty much work no matter what I do to it!

4 Likes

Unfortunately, they will still be as ugly as a cats ass.:rofl:

10 Likes

This is what I use in my safe. It has gone almost a year without re-charging

3 Likes

for a quicky, wool sock, turn it inside out spray it down heavy with dry silicone lube, allow it to dry completely and turn it right way out and slide it over the pistol. unless you have a water leak directly on it, it will keep and keep.
when i was in between dwellings, a old homeless guy showed me that trick ,plus if necessary you can shoot thru the sock…

7 Likes

@JNAP Do you have a friend with a proper gun safe to leave your firearms with? Or a LGS? That would be the easiest solution at this point.

3 Likes

Looks like the KISS method has come to the surface once again !

5 Likes

I keep my firearms in Knit Hangun Gun Socks after treating them with recommended oils. Never had a problem.

3 Likes

Thanks. It was last minute, and I definitely should not have put it off, bur what I ended up doing was wrapping the two handguns in an :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: oily cloth rag after applying plenty of oil in their last cleaning. I also had about 10 mags that I put inside socks and coated them with oil, as well. Hopefully, it works. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes