M*CARBO Brotherhood

Defense calibre

ok I have a loaded question for everyone. at least Canadians. What is the best home defense caliber? Im not suggesting at any point that any Canadians would think of home defense or protecting their loved ones from dirt bags. but what caliber is your go to. What do you think is the best round? and why?

4 Likes

got Canadian geese behind the place in tha canal , that count? :smiling_imp:
5.7X28 with the right bullet, on the off chance the idiots broke in my place wearing body armor…

5 Likes

Can’t go wrong with a good old 12 gauge loaded with 00 Buck.

11 Likes

@Jperr +1 same as it’s always been for me…:boom::sunglasses:

8 Likes

Whats the thought on .410 oo buck and or .45 colt hollowpoints

4 Likes

if i had to choose over those 2 rounds, 45LC with a hollow point. 00 410 has between 3 and 5 pellets. depending on brand.
15 or so years ago, I got shot out of a tree stand, by a kid hunting squirrel with a 410.
they is about 92 pellets in a #4 410. learned 2 lessons that day ,#1 410 had enough bite and hit to take me off the stand. shredded the carhartt jacket, perforated the sweatshirt under it, and the tee shirt, waffled the skin, had to dig out bout 6 pellets that just broke the skin. non got deep. kid was about 25 yds behind me, i was up 30 ft, my right shoulder was bumping the edge of LOS on the tree trunk.
#2 never trust those cheap carabiners that come with a hunter safety strap. omega is the only ones i use now.
ground impact hit me worse than the shotgun did.

8 Likes

@GOBLIN alright Mr Buck your always talking 5.7 what is the best bullet for one

1 Like

Hey, Rob2, regarding your scenario, I concur with Jperr, I would use 3" 000Buck, followed by 3" 00Buck , followed by a 3" 1oz slug.
or
Any of the above racked and stacked in no particular order.
If the sound of racking a pump doesn’t attract attention to flee, then a assailant is either deaf or a few bricks short of a load, just saying IMO only.

5 Likes

thas easy SS198LF 27 Gr.

3 Likes

when I go in the bush. I take my 12 gauge empty per law but with the bandolier loaded with 2 flares, 2 bear bangers 6 3 inch slugs and 4 3 inch oo buck. I lean towards the shotgun bicause you can tailor your load out as you see fit. and with some practice stripping rounds out of the bandolier you can do it pretty quick. Im thinking of adding a side shell saddle as well. Id rather have more shells than less. I saw a video where a guy hit a grizz with a #4 buck and she hit the ground bounce up and was really pissed. slowed her down about 1/2 a second. my second choice would be my .45/70 marlin. Home defense is a different ball of wax and due to the legal issues, your probally going to jail any way so you may as well lay them right out. I just love that no one agrees. I can tell you after being hit with a 7.62x39 myself I wouldnt depend my life on it unless I had to though

5 Likes

For me it’s 12 ga 00 buck & slug combo, I have no neighbors to worry about going thru their home. If intruders can absorb a 12 ga slug I guess I’ll go to a 300 win mag.

2 Likes

PDX-1 Ball and 3 Slugs. Bought a few boxes but haven’t tried it yet.

6 Likes

Probably not a popular choice. But I use 9mm hp in my 19+1 cz p10f or 33 rounds in my fm9. What it lacks in power, it makes up in quantity.

2 Likes

My wife won’t shoot my 9’s or 45’s so I have a PMR-30 in her nightstand. .22 WMR is more powerful than it looks, and 30 of them into somebody will certainly make them feel welcome, what with ammo prices today. Incidentally, Walmart carries CCI MaxiMags for $11.50/50, pretty much what it was before Election Infection.

5 Likes

@MountainHunter

I use PDX1s in my 9mm Glock. I never saw those shotgun gun shells before…but me likes. Gotta try to find those, not easy in this ammo climate,.

4 Likes

@MountainHunter

all kinds of stuff for shotguns. hell I still have old jungle shredders, fletchette rounds…

6 Likes

i might have to try another one of those wife attachments… right now the girlfriend thing is fun though… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :crazy_face: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

And all this time you struck me as being lots more intelligent than that. :wink:

3 Likes

you know how it is Phuzzy, its always fun out lookin for the next Miz X Goblin… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Well make sure you give the candidates lots of OJT before you pick one. They have to be experienced but trainable. :smiley:

3 Likes