Deer Hunting Season

@hunter1916 Congratulations! Never heard of a “pricket” before. Is that a young buck?

4 Likes

@TriggerHappy DICTIONARY…(pricket) A male fallow deer in it’s second year, having straight, unbranched horns.

5 Likes

Ah! I assumed it was a European term - didn’t think about a dictionary lol. What we would call a spike in the western US

5 Likes

@NRA4ever nothing drives me crazy like getting in the stand and having damn squirrels barking or the worst a freaking crow nearby. I swear they are telling anything nearby to run for cover

5 Likes

thats right dave67 surprised you had to look it up in the dictionary :hushed::blush::smiley: [only joking we cant know everything] but you won’t taste better meat

4 Likes

a spike or prong we call it here in ireland

4 Likes

@hunter1916 I had to look it up because I’m not a hunter but was interested to know what that was myself, can’t go wrong with the ole dictionary. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I was going to ask too. Always cool to have people in other countries to learn new things from.

3 Likes

i make venison burgers too which is very easy thats where the older stages and does come in handy ,just mince the meat add a little water and an egg add some seasoning mix it all up flatten it cut to shape and fry in lard :money_mouth_face::stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I do the same but usually with elk. I grind in some bacon or pork shoulder with mine… I vacuum pack and freeze packages of it. then I defrost a pack, add the egg and season, and make patties.
Really good

3 Likes

This is a really cool hunting app. that might be a great addition to your hunting season this year.

3 Likes

I’ve sat in my box stand several times. Nothing I call a shooter yet. I have a 5x5 insulated stand. It’s warm and dry

2 Likes

sounds cosy id prob sleep all the time :grinning: im back out tomorrow morning nothing over past few weeks so hopefully i can get something then i have a couple of friends and my brother whom i give some meat for the christmas …happy hunting my friend and a merry christmas to you and your family

2 Likes

Oddly enough, just recently there have been reports of tree stands being stolen here. Probably tweekers who steal anything they can get there hands on. Some of them have derelict old camp trailers they hide out in the woods and cook their poison in and a couple weeks ago we had a hunter shot in the head (survived) by somebody in another party. The story is they were hiding some brush waiting for sun up when the other party came along and for some reason they decide to shake the bushes and make some noise and somebody just took a pot shot at the sound. Stay safe out there friends and save a piece of backstrap for me :yum:

2 Likes

@TriggerHappy the lesson there is see your quary before you shoot always assume there are other shooters around even if you cant see them plus it helps to have backstop ,as for the highseats ours are built onto a tree chained and bolted take the ladder away in off season

3 Likes

Dawson County Texas. 90 lbs of sausage with added 20% fat off just the rib cage.

11 Likes

nice man looks tasty havent made sausage yet must give it a try i normaly make burgers , steaks or just cook it as a joint ENJOY

1 Like

i was out on friday for a couple of hours all i got was wet again and the only deer i got was these :joy

:

2 Likes

shot a nice doe the weekend but still got wet again 5th friday in a row, still it was good to come home with some meat

3 Likes

the last weekend of our shooting season i be out all day tomorrow and sunday [i have a 13and half hour shift on saturday] so from 4.30 irish time today i be off line untill monday morning wish me luck guys

4 Likes