M*CARBO Brotherhood

Deer Hunting Season

i bagged number two of the season yesterday spent a bit of time looking for him after i shot him shoulder shot and he ran and just when i found him it started to rain and forgot to take photo its now hanging in my shed with no head and im going to skin and butcher him tonight

13 Likes

@hunter1916
How is your new hunting structure working out?

9 Likes

@cico7 its working fine seen a lot of does and calfs [can only shoot males at moment ] waiting for rut to start which is starting but only 2 r 2 bawling at moment i be in it all next weekend so i hope to shoot a least a couple of buck from it then i put a small metal air tight cabinet in it and its stocked with water and candy bars

10 Likes

Here’s a dumb question, how do you people down south get those deer skinned and quartered without the meat spoiling and flies laying eggs in it? It’s been getting warm earlier up here in the north and our DEC in all their wisdom has been starting the season earlier. Bow opened on the 1st. . I sat in a stand for 4 hours and watched a lot of chip monks, birds and little critters until 10:00 then I started sweating to death in a tee shirt!
I’m used to it being at least below 50 so there’s no bugs flying around and if it’s around 40 or less, I like to let it hang for a day before I butcher it.

9 Likes

@Grumpyolman well we people down here in the south have learned to kill gut pack with a bag of ice get home and skin that critter quarter it up and put on ice for about a week. As for the flies just don’t dilly dally

8 Likes

I allways just figured the maggots as extra protein! :sunglasses: but seriously like whitehammer said kill gut ice clean put in cooler of ice in shade for around a week. I like to add salt to meat to help pull blood out and i drain the bloody water when it needs it and top off the ice. Between 5 and 7 days meat is ready for processing. I mostly just keep the back straps and tenderloins and grind the rest into burger and sausage. Maybe a roast here or there and might turn a ham or 2 into bbq then freeze the bbq in freezer bags 1 or 2 pounds in each then thaw and reheat.

6 Likes

@Grumpyolman if your talking out in field after gutting use a body sock you could pick some up at butchers supplies and when hanging use a fly zapper thats what i do i dont have a cooler but i know its not as warm here

6 Likes

From the looks of the insides of unripe persimmons so far, it ain’t gonna be a warm fall nor winter. The Old Farmer’s Almanac is saying pretty much the same…

9 Likes

Thanks for that. I remember about 35years ago when my dad was living in PA. He was one of those people you hate to get stuck behind in traffic, 20mph W/ his nose on the steering wheel. We were on a dirt road and going up the mountain to his place in early Sept. and it was about 65degrees out. It was right at dusk and there was a sizable heard of deer in an alfalfa field off to our left. I said to him “dad watch out for the deer” . He stopped and looked at me and said “what” (his hearing wasn’t very good either). A 9 point buck ran smack into his driver’s side fender of his '87 Lesabre, spun round and hit the grill with it’s ass then jumped back into the field , fell over and died! My dad looked out the window as I walked over and said “Oh God ,did I hurt it”?
“No dad, give your knife and go get the truck”. My forearms and the back of my hands looked like I’d been stung by a hive full of bees from all the deer fly bites I got just from gutting that thing! The temp. actually dropped below 40 later that night and I was able to hang it in the neighbor’s barn for a couple days before butchering it but the memory of getting the hell bitten out of me still lingers!

11 Likes

Caught this guy on camera early this am. It’s tough to see but I have a ground blind 20 yd.s behind him.

12 Likes

@Grumpyolman you can see him ok nice animal you would get plenty of burgers outta him

9 Likes

more success guys number 3

bag this boy on friday

17 Likes

edited double post :sunglasses:

8 Likes

deer season2

9 Likes

@Ironbutt70 done that a few times myself fall asleep in high seat hide even sitting on ground leaning against a tree as for deer poping up next to me i couldnt tell but ya never know :roll_eyes: :smiley:

10 Likes

I’ve done it 20ft. up in a tree! luckily I was strapped in.

7 Likes

looks like the same deer, wait… is that me?

7 Likes

Petting zoo…

5 Likes