Dedicated .22 AR vs. Ruger 10/22

So I spent a pile of money to build a dedicated 22, and then decided I’d rather have a 10/22.
I assembled the PSA upper and lower, bought for the 22, in 5.56, with new Hogue grip kit.
Added a free float handguard and lo-pro gas block. Done. Just need sights or an optic.

I have a small rant for PSA, this being the second lower, and first upper from them.
Use better buffer tubes. These are commercial tubes, but Mil-spec stocks might fit.
Even Hogue, a very tight fitting stock, fits loose. I’m gonna have to replace them.
There’s also a bit of slop in between the uppers and lowers, even when using other brands.
This doesn’t bother me. A little slop is to be expected, but the loose stock drives my crazy.

Anyways, I just left Bud’s before coming here to post. Bought a 10/22 and a 110 round drum.

EDIT: Maybe the buffer tube is Mil-spec. but the threads are flush like on comm-spec.
And maybe it was the Magpul stocks they use that are the reason for it being loose.
The Hogue stock is definitely comm-spec.

3 Likes

@valorsolo I edited out your post about selling so people aren’t confused. Chris said no public sales/trading post. Private message sales do what you want :+1:t2:

2 Likes

10-4. Sorry. I can see how it could have been seen as a listing.

3 Likes

A little more info on the 10/22 I ordered.
Ruger 10/22 Distributor Exclusive semi-automatic rifle
Black Tapco Fusion pistol grip stock with collapsible buttstock and tri-rail forearm

From Bud’s for $245.00

Also decided not to sell the conversion kit, not just yet.
I was browsing around Gorilla Machining website this morning.
I ordered a blemished upper receiver and a cheap handguard.
I’ll assemble it and then decide what to do with it.

1 Like

Initially inbuilt a nice collapsible stock 10/22 charger. Accurate and compact.
Here us the stock only:

Having several Bulpups I decided took look for one.

I found badger bullpup stocks. Our of all the 10/22 stocks out there this one is the simplest design a works like charm. No issues and very accurate. I picked up a 16 inch threaded barrel and loving it.

I became interested in the CMMG Ar conversion kit. It worked perfectly but shot about 2 to 4 inches low with my irons.

Great fun and reliable.

Since then I built cmmg upper. Even better accuracy . Couldn’t be happier with it. It is more enjoyable with the s&w. Mags and the redi mag adapter. Now the cmmg upper functions exactly like a normal ar.

Between the cmmg upper and the ruger my nod goes to the cmmg.

S&w mags much.more reliable than the bx mag in the ruger. No wobble and feed with perfection.

No that I have the kel tec cp33. I am waiting for the cmr rifle version to come out. Then both the ruger and the cmmg upper will be sold.

Now i have several 10/22 stocks, a barrel and bullpup with bunch of bx mags I havent gotten around to put out on the.market.

Ugh gun ownership…lol

3 Likes

I was not aware of this product. It looks amazing. Thanks.
Those horrible 25 round mags I have are a major reason I wanted a 10/22.
Now I guess I will have both. Cause I just couldn’t help myself.
Bought an Aero Precision lower today to complete my AR-22.
Well, it’s not complete until I try this adapter, now. Again, thanks.

1 Like

You are going to really like it. The gun will lock open last round and stay open until you hit bolt release. Great for muscle memory practice

2 Likes

I went the LOOOOOOOOONG way around with a simi auto .22. Charter arms AR7.
at that time in my life, i was into receiving pain.:crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
after I changed the stock that leaked, the barrel that had a bow in the middle, (not outside but the liner in the alloy casting) all the internals except the trigger, the barrel nut, added a dang scope and a heat shield, and found metal 25 round magazines, the bolt, the extractor 3 times for i found a decent one. the RAMLINE magazines i purchased for it originally, were the plastic magazine that ruined me on polymers till 2 years ago. wouldnt last 10 rounds… I still got one. just to remind me never to screw up like that again…

my first 17"/under breakdown rifle…

6 Likes

Got the upper put together. Only thing missing is a thread protector or muzzle device.
I also left off the dust cover. Kinda think I would have been happier with slick side upper.
I borrowed a lower from one of my other ARs, just for testing, got an Aero Precision on the way.
I put the Better-Mag in it and emptied a 25 round M&P mag out in the yard, some issues.
The mag didn’t want to feed the first round, I had to give it a good slap to change it’s mind.
Then around round 17 or 18, it had another feeding issue, another good slap to make it work.
I think the mag will wear in and be fine, but I’ll have to fight it a while till it does.

All in all, it’s a great little 22 for a not-so-decent price of just under $700.
Most of that being the CMMG conversion bits and the barrel.

I haven’t received my 10-22 yet from Bud’s. Should be at my FFL on Monday.
Can’t complain if one order, out of a dozen or so, wasn’t shipped immediately.

2 Likes

To each their own, and the folding stocks are definitely useful, but for me, making a “tactical” Ruger 10/22 is like putting a spoiler on a van.

3 Likes

Speaking of folding stocks, I was looking at a few adapters last night for the AR-22.
Since the buffer and spring are only used to keep tension on the CMMG bolt.
A folding stock would be perfect for this rifle. It would make it a very stow-able gun.
The 16" 22LR barrel recesses farther into the upper. Makes it almost like a 14" barrel.
A barrel shroud or a simple thread protector wouldn’t add any length to it.
I would end up with a folded length of roughly 24". That would be awesome.

3 Likes

@PattonWasRight

Mr. T might have something to say about that.758ccfb9647462c408c020f38ee1ad04

10 Likes

Definitely an assault van!

5 Likes

Was having feed issues cmmg said to buzz chamber with bronze cleaning brush .
Worked like a charm. Here is the link they sent me. I have since used this technique on my AA glock conversion. Really helped.

4 Likes

Here it is finally, my new 10-22 Tapco with 110 round drum and my dedicated AR-22.

5 Likes

After my shooting session earlier today I thought I would update this post as well.
Both the AR-22, with M&P mags and the 10-22, with the drum, ran perfect.
They are both keepers. Extremely fun to shoot.

3 Likes

Glad to hear it. They are way too much fun. Here is my cmmg ar22 upper build

6 Likes

How about an S2K in .22? :grinning:

5 Likes

If only the mag options were as good as the 10/22. Running the M&P mags is really awesome.
But I’m looking for a way to run 10/22 mags. Blackdog has a few feed tower conversion.
Maybe one of those will give better options.

I’ve been thinking the same thing. That would be sweet.

5 Likes

I found the m&p mags much more stable and reloaded much easier than the 10/22 mags. I use a butler creek loader on the 10/22 and McFadden lightening grip loader. I picked it up for the cmmg mags but they work with a ton of other mags. Really slick and super easy to load. Wish they made them for glock and 10/22 mags.
Anyway I think the.m&p mags are ideal for the ar22 uppers as they keep manual of arms exactly like regular ar mags and that makes for great practice.

I still like my bagger bulpup 10/22. I was going to sell it but it’s just so darn compact ,light and ver shoot able. Its super easy to install . Same standard 10/22 stock screw. I picked up a 16 inch threaded barrel for it. Very nice set up.

An s2k 22lr is a good idea as long as it uses the Cp33 mags. The cp33 is a a fantastic accurate 22lr. I was thinking about a cmr30 22lr version the barrel would be more stable. Anyway I cant wait tell kel tec comes out with the 22lr that uses those mags
33 round in a pistol size mag. Oh yeah!

4 Likes