M*CARBO Brotherhood

Cutting Bolt Tube Cover -- still secure?

Just a question for anybody who has experience trimming the M*CARBO bolt tube cover to fit with the S2K’s shortest length of pull.

After trimming, does the cover still reliably stay on the tube? I worry because at the stock-end of the cover, it would no longer wrap completely around. That is, the only part really holding the cover to the tube would be the full wrap on the end nearer to the grip. Does the stock end not flop around at all?

4 Likes

Welcome to the Forum mp84.
That is a great question, just recently I was looking at the tube cover, and yes the last two rings would cut the end off. I added a picture that helps visualize your question.

Stay tuned, comments from the experts on the way.

2 Likes

Thank you for the welcome and for adding the photo for reference, Moosecall.

2 Likes

I went ahead and cut it down. I knew I wanted to use the shortest sizing regardless, and I figured it’s just a piece of rubber tubing, so not a huge risk if it doesn’t work out.

As it turns out, the fit is good enough that it doesn’t flop around. I can turn the gun upside down and it stays put.

There is the possibility of it snagging though (i.e., something catching the corner of the rubber – because there now are corners when there did not used to be).

I’m pondering just using some double-sided tape or perhaps some sort of not-absolutely-permanent adhesive to keep such snags from occurring.

4 Likes

Not sure about the double-sided tape in hot and cold conditions. The tube will most likely not move, I cut mine an it’s fine. Maybe try without for awhile and come up with an alternative if need(?). Just a thought.

5 Likes

@mp84 welcome to the forum

4 Likes

I use the Scotch brand double sided outdoor tape. It’s what we call double sided “servo tape” in the R/C hobby. It’s some strong stuff. The cut end will eventually end up flopping around if it isn’t secured. Just cut a couple of long/thin strips of the tape, slide it up under the cover and press it down well. Let it set for a day or so before putting it to work. It works well and I’ve done this several times with the cover on my S2K because I had to keep removing it to take it apart. MCARBO hadn’t released all their upgrade parts back then, so I kept taking it apart to add something new they released that I had to have. LOL

6 Likes

Perfect! Thanks, @Wedge

Just ordered some. Added bonus that it’s cheap. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think adding a piece of rubberized grip tape material inside the top of the cover would keep it from moving without actually attaching it to the tube.

5 Likes

That might prevent sliding/moving around, but it won’t stop it lifting up if it gets snagged on something. The double sided tape I mentioned works great, it’s cheap and it won’t leave any residue that can’t be easily just wiped off with your thumb. Oh, and wipe the parts with rubbing alcohol first to clean things before applying the tape.

7 Likes

@mp84
My one last thought.
Consider what recoil pad you will end up using. Measure twice cut once rule.
Depending… You might need some extra real estate on the tube cover.

3 Likes

@Wedge
I used Scotch double-sided outdoor tape today. Applied easily, seems to hold really well. The corners don’t come up at all. And I took it to the range and nothing scooted around at all.

Thanks for the suggestion!
10/10, would recommend.

5 Likes

Sometimes the simplest & easiest solutions are right in front of us. Sometimes you just need to sit back have a couple cool ones and think it well through, and sometimes with a little help from your friends.
Cheers, glad it worked out.

6 Likes

The TandemKross tube cover from KelTec went on so tight it would have been impossible to use two-way tape, no room. I struggled and almost considered using some lube when I installed it. But it eventually went on and hasn’t move at all. Maybe the M*CARBO cover is a little different in material or diameter?
Glad things worked out @mp84.

4 Likes

Hey TexasEskimo, with no snow. The M*CARBO Tube Cover I put on was for the SUB2K Gen1. It actually fit OK and snug. I am waiting for the next cleaning to swap it out. Thinking that I got lucky, just a chance thing. I’ll keep it on for now.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s good stuff. You’ll probably find all kinds of uses for it around the house.

2 Likes

The MCARBO one isn’t that tight and, if you want to run the rifle with the stock in the fully collapsed position, you lose that rear “support ring” since it goes away when you trim the tube cover down to length.

3 Likes

@Wedge I actually originally bought the TandemKross cover be cause I liked the design elements. Lol.

FOTO_20210129_174412

5 Likes

Mine was the 5-1/2" one then I decided to install QD mount so I cut 1/4" off the buttstock end and it’s still all good

I like the tandemkross one better.Might have to get hold of one.

3 Likes