M*CARBO Brotherhood

Custom .17HM2 'A Bugar Of A Build'

I do not believe that ‘many’ have had much if any success in their 22 up-graded builds if an 80% receiver was used… The 17 is twice as hot as a 22LR. It requires a coil spring to be shortened/heavier bolt combinations in order to slow down the timing of combustion. I even had Clint Beyer Barrels get me out of a jamb by cleaning the barrel and sending me a Power Customs 17 spring kit. The barrel was sent back with 5 spent shells. Ok, that gave me some hope… :pray:

So, I go to test fire my new build and I got (2) FTF then BANG. I had (1) following FTF and found my shell stuck in its chamber… Well, ain’t that a ‘bitch,’ the gun has to come apart… AGAIN…

Aparantly, the timing of the combustion is ‘still’ off. The extractor paw was blown apart. If any of you have attempted to replace an extractor and have to worry about sending the spring and bushing into ‘orbit’ you can understand my horror. Well, my Tactical Innovations kit arrived.

I managed to install the kit in under 5 minutes successfully with the help of a 5/32 pin punch. However, I think that I am turned off by this build after all the money I had sunk into this PROJECT… I am just going to throw a .22LR and be done with it for a while.

Note to self… If the internet has ‘limited’ information, don’t play WANABE GUNSMITH… :roll_eyes: However, suave/technical ‘mechanic’ you think you are, always seek a gunsmith for assistance! Talking about feeling ‘butthurt…’ Not cool, but I can joke about it now. :roll_eyes:

Does any one have a ‘build’ story to share??? :+1: I guess I am going to take a ‘beating’ on this barrel, though :thinking: :unamused:

4 Likes

@lonewolf Everything I just read online agrees with your difficulties building a .17HM2 and you took on a lot more than I ever would have. I do own a Henry Varmint in .17HMR and love it, you aim at it you hit it.

4 Likes

@lonewolf Hey Brother’ Stuff Happens ! Step back Count to 10 or 20 or 16,000!! :smile: Don’t abandon all the time and Positive Energy you put in to this Project of Yours! You were in Auto Service and a Mechanic like me, Remember (Complaint,Cause,Remedy) Hell I just now Think I might have fix my SAR with the Trigger Bite Complaint Since day One, replaced it with a CZ 85 combat trigger’ Crossing fingers. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

@dave67

I had thrown almost $3K in the building (2) custom guns this past year. I cannot justify any more of a loss to be ‘the hero…’ I just did not want to purchase that rifle. I just might convince my wife to get the Volquartsen Fusion once my money ‘builds up’ from the right investments.

3 Likes

@DivaMarie

I had had that motivation with my wife convincing her that I can do it. I don’t have the lathe to fix the barrel if I have another problem. I could call Power Customs and get ‘what they say’ is the correct part, however, when dealing with all that pressure, there is always more $ in relining the barrel plus more coils to cut for a hit or miss outcome. The Henry’s are excellent and so is the Volquartsen Fusion that offers both 17MH2/22MAG kit. I was totally EDUCATED with this build and I have a .556 80% Pistol project on deck. Personally, I prefer ‘unregistered’ kits. Especially when the SHTF goes down. You never want to get caught with your pants down. You know how the BATF rolls when it comes to the legislative laws. I want to take advantage during ‘the window of opportunity…’ :innocent:

3 Likes

Okay I’ll Keep my Big Fat Mouth Shut’ :rofl: I just knew you had been doing this Built for awhile!

3 Likes

@DivaMarie

Please don’t do that, Tony. If anything, I could contact Magnum Research for a 17 HM bolt before I take a huge hit on my ‘brand new’ threaded Beyer barrel. Apparently, it shot 7 shells total. I just had run out of ‘expensive’ options. Unless you want to ‘loan’ me your Magnum Research bolt to ‘try out’ before I hound the company that I need that bolt. I went online and their parts are ‘limited…’ Winks

3 Likes

No problem! It’s just sitting gun case collecting dust’ Have not shot it in years’ :disappointed_relieved: Just send a address ! Anything for a Brother’

4 Likes