M*CARBO Brotherhood

Current Projects/Builds

Here it is brothers… My completed Custom! I cannot wait to play. I ‘still’ have to wait for my mags…

@lonewolf Very nice!:+1::+1::+1:

@Don68
Many thanks, Don. I really enjoyed this build! I had never expected it to be as light as it turned out. It is 5 pounds 3 oz without the magazine!

Yeah, those Magnum Research barrels are unbelievably light. Nice job.

@lonewolf that is a lovely looking gun brother

@Texprep
Mike, my barrel is 1:16 twist (Benz.) It will handle all of it. It has the Volquartsen firing pin and extractor set up. The bolt was beveled and hardened. I don’t believe I missed ‘anything’ except polishing the hammer and sear! However, with my trigger pulls @ 1 pound 6 oz (thanks to M*CARBO @ChrisNelson,) anything (lighter) would scare me… Big smiles!

@hunter1916
Thanks, Kieran!

@ValorSolo
The Magnum Research barrel was a ‘pleasing accident’ that weighs 19 oz! Big smiles.

@lonewolf

Nice looking set up, the one reason I never went with an aftermarket barrel on my 10/22 build was that everyone I looked at (at that time) would not except/shoot the CCI Stinger round (32gr. 1640fps CP-HP) which is a round I really like.

@dave67
Thank you! I am really excited about this set up. I have done a lot of homework. You cannot imagine how many times that I had ‘built’ this set up in my mind. I really consider myself ‘new’ to guns. I had shot them with my father and friends for nearly 40 years, but I never had owned one until 2012. I had found out that my hobby was too expensive (being disabled and on limited funds.) After ‘qualifying’ with my Glock and purchasing one, I purchased a Ruger SR22 to ‘plink.’ I had to replace the recoil spring (plastic guide,) and ended up with (2) more barrels- one for more accurate target shooting and one that would allow me to ‘legally’ hunt. I then got more comfortable and decided to rebuild my Glock so that I had ‘options.’ When I had purchased my Mossberg 88, I was not happy with my trigger and that is when I ‘stumbled’ onto M*CARBO @ChrisNelson! Well, you know ‘boys and their toys?’ Big smiles! My adventure with my 10/22 Custom began… I am sure that this build will be ‘everything’ that I had expected? And then some!! I already have a future AR-style build, in my head… I am already ‘customizing/designing’ (in my head) a new 80% receiver build using an additional spring and ‘hardening’ of a bolt to build a CROSSOVER platform to handle 17HR and 22MAG (utilizing different barrels, of course!) I don’t think I would have taken this ‘challenge’ on if it weren’t for The Brotherhood… Right on!

@lonewolf Very nice indeed! Love the colors in the stock - very unique. Ya done good :+1:

@VAbowhunter
Many thanks. It was my ‘first’ design and build from start to finish… It definitely exceeded my expectations! I had ‘too’ much fun on the build??? Big smiles! I need to order the Volquartsen Barrel Screw Kit (Maybe then I can call it ‘quits’ for a little while???)

@lonewolf That’s the standard twist rate for a 10/22. Its designed to shoot the widest range of 22 LR ammo from around 25-45 gr. It will shoot the heavier 60gr. subsonic, but it WILL NOT stabilize it properly. Faster twist, 1-9 barrels are designed specifically for heavy subsonic 22 ammo. I am attaching a link to show what im talking about. You can also search the web on shooting subsonic 22 ammo for more info.
https://www.eabco.net/Ruger-1022-Match-Grade-Accuracy-Barrel-Blue-Subsonic-wThreaded-Muzzle-by-EABCO_p_14069.html

@Texprep
Mike, mybadd… I was just ‘thinking’ about the rave on the barrel itself when referencing the ‘good review’ on it! Yes, I realize that the ‘standard twist’ wont steady the heavyweight ammo at faster velocities… I guess that I will be ‘collecting’ more barrels along with ‘cans?’ A never-ending collection of TOYS… Big smiles!

Thats exactly the reason i purposely build a second 10/22.
I must say im jealous. Thats about the nicest 10/22 ive ever seen. Good job!

@Texprep
Mike, having a lot of time on ‘contemplating’ the build turned out to be a HUGE advantage… My 22 AR-style will have that ‘subsonic’ barrel rifling… I am designing a receiver that will handle a 22MAG/17HR with the use of an additional mounted recoil spring. Again, two barrels will be needed. I believe the subsonic barrel will go BEST with that set-up. What are your thoughts???

@lonewolf The one problem i ran into making the subsonic 10/22 is the recoil spring for the bolt. Because the subsonic ammo has a lighter powder charge it has less recoil and every so often it wouldnt completely cycle the bolt, especially when i had the suppressor attached. Someone on this forum helped me solve the problem by suggesting a lighter recoil spring. Gun runs like a champ now. With subsonic ammo and the suppressor attached all you hear is the bolt cycling and a barely audible pew. Its WAY quieter than my pellet gun. Guess what im saying is you may also need different recoil (buffer) springs for your different calibers in your AR style build depending on which caliber/barrel your shooting.

@Texprep
That is what I understand with the 22MAG set-up. I have additional springs from Tactical Innovations. The 17HR and 22LR is set-up using the same recoil spring. It would be nice to not have to ‘interchange’ so many different parts when using different applications?

You’re gonna make me go measure the twist on my Marlin 880sq. I can tell you it’s close to a one hole shooter with 60g Subs. I’ll try to scrape up spec’s but it’s been awhile since Marlin did any heavy barrel rimfires. FWIW - my 7000s stabilize’m enough to make round holes where I point’m too.

I have just noticed ’ slight’ play of up and down movement with the trigger assembly within the Boyds stock. I guess that I will have to get the Volquartsen ‘Bedding’ System to eliminate that wankiness? There adds an additional $40 to my build… Isn’t that SPECIAL. I guess that I would rather have figured it to be a problem NOW then go to the range and get disappointed over some groupings LATER?