M*CARBO Brotherhood

Current projects/builds not firearms related 🛠

@ MountainHunter -wow, never knew there were blue ones

@ Moosecall-I’ve been lucky enough to catch their mating ‘dance’ twice. Both times it was very late at night, it seemed like the firefly population had exploded X 10,000,000, none were flying-they were on every tree, leaf, and blade of grass and they were all flashing in sync in a wavering pattern. One of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen!

5 Likes

Amazing, once in a lifetime. I like that request to cover flashlights with red filter as to not mess them up while on site.

4 Likes

They are getting huge! Probably around 4 pounds, another month or so and they should start laying I think.

12 Likes

that used to be my weekly chore at grampa’s when i stayed there, catch a live possum. grandma had to have one every sunday for dinner. fried chicken and fried possum mix and match. had 3 in a box cage. the one that had been corn fed for 2 weeks was sunday dinner. i kept 3 weeks ahead.
they 2 types of possum. grey ones and black ones. greys are easy they sull. black ones? never ever grab em by the tail to flip and sull em. they get a tad bit pissy and fight.

10 Likes

Or they should start grilling well.

6 Likes

mountainhunter

You probably think it’s a little peculiar or maybe sadistic :skull_and_crossbones: but when I was little my sisters and I use to catch them and smash them on our arms or foreheads when they were lite up and run around in the yard. :grin:

And later in summer catch June bugs and attach them to string and fly them around in the yard.

We were not real poor but toys were not on the priority list for us back in the fifties.
I still like watching them when I get the occasion.

Larry :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8 Likes

@LarrySr I never engaged in wholesale genocide of lightning bugs, but I probably suffocated or shook to death several of them in jars. And I also have tied a thread to a seriously pissed-off June Bug.
Simpler days when the street lights told us the time to go home, we ate what was on the table or we didn’t eat, and we did all kinds of stupid things that should have killed us but only made us stronger.

14 Likes

That’s the darn truth!

9 Likes

The early street lights had exposed bulbs.used to throw snowballs at them to turn them off…POP :scream::sunglasses:

11 Likes

Trying to stay cool. It has been in the 90’s here for a week with little signs of letting up. 97 right now.

3 Likes

Ol to be young again. Life was so much simpler and a lot better.

6 Likes

@HandyDave And a draft beer was $.35 :beers:

9 Likes

Or your buddy that worked at the store or whos parents owned the store would just throw you a sixer or couple cases out the back door. Good times. Or when 2 boys or men could have a good ol fist fight and there wasnt no court case afterward. The whole world has got to sisified. Way to many cry babies and do gooders around these days. I try my best to stay in my little patch of woods and only go up town when absolutely have to.

11 Likes

@HandyDave ,Yea your right. Back in the day we would fight in order to establish your rank in the neighborhood.No whining or police involvment, just growing up stuff.Back in ‘73’ we had bar called The Beacon that had 10 draft beers for $1.00.
In NJ they had lowered drinking age to 18. With a little nod from the bouncer who mighta been your cousin you & your buds might get thru the door even though just a tad underage.

10 Likes

With the old Coca-Cola machines you could reach up and just pull one down…:sunglasses:

11 Likes

I was just telling someone, we used to sit down at the park drinking beer and playing volleyball. The police knew and knew none of us were of age. But they knew we were not being “bad” and knew where we were all at and just let us have our fun. We were the ages 17 to 19 and nobody had any money for toys and none of us owned anything yet that was fun to do, so that was what we did every weekend.

8 Likes

.25” scattered rain today. 63*F. Windows open. No complaints here…:sunglasses:

6 Likes

Nice, lucky you!

A nice balmy 92 today 0" of rain, uv index of a trillion. This coming week? 100-107 yay, summer is going to be swell. Just picked up some shade netting for the girls and garden. Mixed with the easy up we should be ok. Got the birds some chicken electrolytes, started today and they like it a ton!

10 Likes

Brawndo has electrolytes. LOL

5 Likes

Did you buy yourself some ranch dressing for “Wing Night”?

9 Likes