M*CARBO Brotherhood

Current projects/builds NOT firearms related 🛠

Well we have one pissed coon this morning.

9 Likes

Kitchen remodel? Or gun box. :coffee:

7 Likes

Well we let it go.
I explained to it that option 1 was do not be messing around, but since it was in the live trap, that option had passed. Option 2 was it could be a little a hole and I would put it down. Option 3 is it could be cool and I would load it up in the back of the truck and drive it about 4 miles away to the river and it could live a long happy life.
It chose option 3. It was actually pretty cool and chill after it got a little used to us.

10 Likes

When I lived in central Georgia, there was a retired schoolteacher what lived down the road that considered racoon a delicacy! The farmhouse I lived in had 8 pecan trees around it so I kept her well supplied.

9 Likes

Yeah I knew a kid who’s dad would eat it. My brother raised hounds and if you have ever seen one skinned, idk how you could think hmmm that looks good. Of course when you skin them, you do so when they are getting/have their winter coats and thus a lot of fat.
This one was just pretty happy to be let go. I had these pipes I stuck down into the live trap to keep him penned in the back while I got the gate open. Then I was going to stand in the back of the truck and pull the pipes out. Well I did not know they could sqeeze through such small opening (I need more pipes) and he got out, before I could pull the pipes and he never looked back.
I will reset it again tonight, as I think there are a few around.

7 Likes

Got my live trap all set with a chunk of sharp cheddar cheese and a cracker. It’s in front of one of the motion sensors so I’ll get an alert if a critter is around or in it.
It’s a quiet night so far…65*F :grin:

7 Likes

yeah ours is in front of a camera. The wife said tonight if we catch a possum we have to let it go back into the neighborhood. The she proceeded to tell me how good they are (like I know nothing about animals). I said yeah well they are ugly as all get out, so they have to make up for it with personality.
Only reason I am even taking some coons to the river is because there are so many. My neighbor caught 2, I caught 1 so far and the trap is set again tonight.

6 Likes

@MountainHunter What’s the deal can’t play them that’s a First!

4 Likes

Possums are just 4-legged buzzards that can’t fly. Once I read just how benificial they truly are I quit trying to run over them at night! That, and I finally got to see a mother possum carrying her babies on her back one night whilst out checking hog traps. Cutest thing you ever saw! There’d be a lot more carrion around everywhere if not for them. I figure they’re just like bears-just trying to survive. We’ve got one of the butt-ugliest ones I’ve ever seen that will come up on the back deck looking for food when the cat leaves some behind.

That retired schoolteacher was one of the nicest black ladies you’d ever want to meet. She had grown up poor and loved racoon 'cuz she had grown up eating them. Pecans put the fat on them in a hurry and she told me after I began bringing her live ones (I was trapping them instead of shooting them just for her) that mine tasted the best she’d had since she was a child. She invited me to dinner once when I brought her 4 at one time but I had to respectfully decline. The very thought made me kinda green around the gills!
My mother had told me once that my grandfather used to trap both 'coons and possums and would feed them out like a beef for 2-3 weeks to get the bad stuff out and fatten them up before Granny would prepare them. She said possum was very, very greasy no matter how it was cooked and racoon wasn’t much better. Granny’s cooking skills weren’t exactly 5 star as I recall…

9 Likes

Not a single blip all night. Slept like a bay…with guns on both side of the bed…:sunglasses:
We’ll try again tonight.

6 Likes

For some reason nature tends to congregate where ever I live. I do not mind. Fact I actually like it and am grateful that they do not seem to mind me.
There are however rules. There also has to be balance. I did not catch anything last night, so I will stop trying and see what happens now.
After I suggested that certain birds move along and now last night I was watching the tree rats play. One was all laid out chewing on a nut in the garden, watching me watch him. The little birds are starting to come around. Balance. Nobody is wrecking stuff, being an a hole and I am not picking up garbage, life is good. I went round and round with a bear one time about getting into my garbage. That sob was determined!!
I really do not eat game of any kind. I had to eat a lot of it as a child and do not really have a taste for it. I think my wife had to eat a fair bit as well and she is not big on the idea. Which is funny, because a friend who was raised on a cattle farm and always ate beef, now likes pork better. Not me, a good burger or steak is where it is at with me. I suppose it goes back to that whole balance thing.

5 Likes

Check this dude out. Talk about out of control.

9 Likes

Your Granny was correct on both animals & I have eaten both. You can also add groundhog to that menu! !

5 Likes

@ DirtSalior Nope! I ain’t ever et any ‘whistlepig’ and I ain’t ever plannin’ on it!

@Arrow yup, if one of them ever contracts rabies-or anything else…

4 Likes

There is no way you have that many coons around and they are not causing a problem somewhere. Even if it just making the environment to be out of whack.
That man needs to get himself a woman!!!
On the other side of the coin, if shtf, he has a little money in coon skins running around there. LOL. Guys who train dogs might pay him to hunt the woods around his house. Man could you imagine cutting a hound loose there?

6 Likes

Rain rain rain….:sweat_drops::sweat_drops::sweat_drops: :joy::joy::joy: We we’re in a drought…:sunglasses:

6 Likes

Please send that rain to socal! We need it badly.

Also go home weather your drunk!

Today, cleaned out the chickens run/coup. Planted tomatoes, fertalized the corn, and moved some potted plants and they were getting sun burned.

6 Likes

@CatFood Wish I could send some your way. I know you’re in for a rough/hot summer over there. Hope the water supply keeps up with demand. :sweat_drops::sweat_drops::sweat_drops:

Thanks for sending that weather report.

7 Likes

Yup, we got caught in a good downpour in Murphy earlier this afternoon. It looked to be heading your way.

5 Likes

.44” here. More on the way.:sweat_drops::sweat_drops::sweat_drops:

5 Likes