M*CARBO Brotherhood

Cure for Hogue "over-grippy" butt pads?

I recently bought a Hogue overmolded rifle stock for my Remington 700. The one problem I have is, the butt pad is overly “grippy” on my clothes when I try to mount the rifle to my shoulder. Doesn’t make any difference what clothes I’m wearing. I talked to Hogue, and they’re very nice people, but the short answer is, the person doesn’t perceive this problem on her rifle.

I’ve used their handgun grips, and haven’t had a problem. Anybody got any thoughts? I’ve thought about trying to take the pad part off of the stock (it’s .243 so recoil’s not a problem); I’ve thought about some sort of coating that might “slicken” it up some. I’m not sure if either is a good solution, and of course each would have its drawbacks.

Any ideas? Or experience in this area?
Thanks

1 Like

No idea but just thought about using a nylon stocking and cutting just enough to fit over the butt pad. That might do the trick.

Have you tried dry silicone spray?

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion.

3 Likes

No, I haven’t tried anything yet. I was fishing for ideas, or maybe to find someone who’d already solved it.
Thanks.

3 Likes

As someone who considers himself a rifle shooter its hard for me to imagine a too grippy butt pad but maybe I mount a rifle differently. Could it be too loose clothing requiring a lot of screwing around to dismount and remount the rifle?

1 Like

I appreciate the idea. I tried it on everything from tshirts to jackets. It’s just difficult to adjust if I don’t hit the right spot first time. I do like a little “slidey-ness” - we all have our own ways, for sure. I like the old harder rubber pads, rather than this one. I have had luck with the Limbsaver slip-ons, so that’s always another option.

I thought about coatings, but in the end I sent it back. I didn’t want to experiment with a new one. (It also didn’t fit the “drop-in” mag conversion kit I got.) I’m going to look for a used one online that I can experiment with, because I like the over-molded coating on the rest of it.

1 Like