Competitive Hobbies? (Besides Firearms) 🎯

Today went to work and got surprised with some free fencing instructions from a trained pro. Pretty cool… but a freakin’ ton to know how to do it correctly. :exploding_head: I am going to attend a few of his training programs in the future. My biggest takeaway was all that gear makes you sweat like a pig. Great two hour workout.

Anyone here compete in another hobby besides guns?

11 Likes

Great cardio workout doing fencing, leave the hoodie off next time.

10 Likes

That is so interesting.
I’m sure there is nothing like that here, nor would I really want to try it.
I’m thinking it might be a bit much on my brachial plexus at my age.

8 Likes

I was never in leagues, but I like darts, especially cricket.

6 Likes

I play “mountain gladiator” every day and night. It’s tough competing in “king of the hill”…but somebody has to do it. :sunglasses::boom::boom::boom:

The competition is a huge pile of skeletons at the bottom of the hill…:sunglasses::muscle:

7 Likes

Hard to believe the thousands of buffalo.

8 Likes

I have been in martial arts for 35 years. It’s one of the best things I have ever done.

8 Likes

I havent shot billiards tournaments in several years. But i did pretty good and still enjoy shooting just dont have the time to ride around couple nights a week for the tournaments. I also fish carp tournaments. Qualified and fished a 15,000 dollar tournament few years back. I got my ass handed to me in that tournament. But i was last one to draw spots so i got stuck with what was left. Caught some big fish just not big enough that day. I did win 1000 bucks the night i qualified at another pond.

7 Likes

Did some “competitive grilling” for a spell. Did OK, but it’s hard on equipment.

11 Likes

I watch TV on a competitive basis.
I placed 2nd once behind a couch potato.
I brew beer sometimes.

11 Likes

An extreme sport anyone can enjoy… the “Google Maps Challenge”.
To compete: Even if you know exactly where you are going check the Google Map app for the estimated time to your destination… then simply beat that time.
Going to my gun Club now… gotta beat 15 minutes. Should be easy in this case… once I get on the Dallas North Tollway the speed limit is “Terminal Velocity”… when the thrill of speed exceeds the fear of death.
Gotta go…

9 Likes

Hope that toll don’t screw up your time…

8 Likes

It’s all electronic sensors… no toll booths.

7 Likes

This is the one we most frequently have to go over. Cash or FasTrak pre covid, electronic now.

7 Likes

We just fly under these cameras and sensors. They take 30 HD images per second. If you don’t have a “tolltag” or you are from out of state don’t worry. You will be billed based upon DMV information. Talked to alot of California transplants… they keep their CA tags thinking the tollway will be free… then they get a bill mailed to them for hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars. Can’t beat technology.

8 Likes

I used to watch some of that on bbq pitmaster tv series. It looked like they spent more on there equipment and meats then they could ever win even at first place. Of course being on tv them guys probably was being comped everything.

6 Likes

So very true, especially in the “minors” where it’s all out of pocket.

5 Likes

Love love pool. Grew up with a table…Brunswick VIP…Still shoot :grin:

4 Likes

I am taking up a new one. Since I have jumped into HAM radio I am starting to do DF (direction finding) competition. Basically, someone sets up their radio somewhere in town and starts transmitting every few minutes. Then take your DF gear and seek him out.

7 Likes

This sounds a bit like using ADF equipment in an aircraft…though it just now occurred to me that might not be the case for much longer. I feel like I read somewhere that VOR are being phased out. I get it with GPS and all, but VOR are still an effective means of navigation, though they do require a thinking pilot in the cockpit of GA aircraft.

Been toying with the idea of HAM myself, though I know F/A about it.

6 Likes