M*CARBO Brotherhood

Cold Steel Cheap Shot, The Good, Bad and UGLY!

I’ve been looking for a crossbow that my little 75year old, one legged hunting buddy could handle so he can still do what he loves the most. I bought one of these.

At first glance these look like a toy, you cock the lower lever to load it and it shoots dbl. vanned 15" bolts at 240fps. It’s 130lb. draw weight but the lever makes it easy to shoot and it will definitely kill a deer at 25 yd.s! It also breaks down and assembles in about a minute with two pins.
The actual crossbow was marketed by a couple different companies (the exact same bow is also called a Viking Razorback) There’s also a company that markets a limb backer that is supposed to add 30# of draw weight and another 20-40fps. That’s the good.
Now the bad, first off throw the red dot that comes with it in the garbage! Viking doesn’t appear to be in business any longer and Cold Steel was bought by GSM last December. They still sell some broadheads but won’t even acknowledge that they used to sell the bow and parts are non-existent as far as I can tell. The bolts are about the same diameter as a standard carbon arrow so now I know what to do with the old broken ones of them I have.
Every crossbow exhibits string stretch particularly when they’re new and one of the reasons I favor the old recurve style is you don’t need a pro shop or press to change strings or put a twist in 'em however when I went to do that with this bow the restring horns on the plastic end caps both broke right off!. I can still figure out how to change strings easily enough but the limbs on this thing are a fiberglass composite and are not going to last forever. It’s a shame because it’s really a cool concept and there’s even some guy on You Tube that beefed one up to 200# draw (unfortunately he doesn’t speak English). So, you can still buy one of these for about $250 but just understand you’re unlikely to find parts for it and forget about any warranties!

6 Likes

Been wondering what had happened to Cold Steel. I used to get catalogs from them on a regular basis. Mostly stuff I didn’t want or care for (those ‘fantasy’ knives looked kinda cheap to me) but they used to carry a nice wooden blackthorn walking cane. I’ve had one for nearly 30 years and still use it.

1 Like

Ok, well here’s some good news I just had a conversation with Jesse Rydberg from You Tube. He steered me to a site called GoGun.co where I was able to buy a complete strung limb set for under$80 including shipping. Apparently there’s a German company making these and they’re VERY popular in Europe. I own an Excalibur 405 Matrix which is illegal in my state because some moron decided that a crossbow can’t be more than 200# Draw weight (mine’s 300#). Now after I get the new limbs, I can add the backer and bring the draw weight up around 160#. If old Carl doesn’t hunt I might just use it!

3 Likes

Oh yeah, and if you really want to get crazy you can add a self loader to the top of the crossbow so you’d have 5-7 shots! The German version is called the Cobra RX Adder.

3 Likes

Now I guess the only ugly part of this is me!

1 Like