M*CARBO Brotherhood

Cobra Derringer

I have a cobra .32acp derringer I bought new a few years back. I love the idea a of the gun but it has a horrible trigger, to the point the gun is useless my guess is 20lbs +. Its a $100 gun so trying to get anyone to work on it and they just roll their eyes. Anyone have any thoughts can this be fixed with some polishing?

4 Likes

I don’t know this gun. But in my limited experience with guns in that price range (I blew up a Lorcin), it is likely pot metal. Pot metal doesn’t polish.

Again, I don’t know the gun but my best guess is that it will be less expensive to replace it than reengineer it.

Finally, my expectation is that the builders never intended to chase accuracy at range. Rather, they delivered an inexpensive “belly” gun. Jam it against a bad guy and the 20lb trigger is entirely good 'nuff.

5 Likes

I had two, one in 22 mag and the other in 38 spec. Both had horrible triggers and the recoil was ridiculous. I too had thought about how to reduce the trigger pull, but then they would still have the recoil. Not worth the cost, time or effort. I traded them both off for a better gun. If I were to think about going with a derringer again, I would consider Bond Arms. Much better quality.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Brotherhood, @windydog

What they said. Derringers are almost contact weapons at best. If you’re that close…

Here’s their web site:

1 Like

You probably won’t be able to make it that much better, and it’s not worth paying someone to do, but it could be a fun project to play with.

1 Like

@windydog Welcome aboard. Not familiar with it, but as it didn’t cost much you could experiment w/o losing much. I’d first see if replacement parts are available before getting in there and cleaning up, tuning or cutting. I don’t recommend doing much to it, an un protected trigger has a high pull for a reason.

5 Likes

Even the Bond Arms derringers can be a real pain to pull the trigger. Definitely look at the newer models with the skeletonized triggers. Still, a feature of all Bond Arms derringers’ triggers (that I am aware of), is that you have to pull down as well as back, to get them to work. Other than that, fun guns!

Of course, if would be nice if they would start making longer grips, too !

4 Likes

@windydog welcome to the forum

3 Likes

I wasn’t aware of the back and down pull of the BA when I got it.
Man that trigger was brutal to pull. But it would pull. Way off target.
Searching for a cure, I found a video showing proper technique.
That made it much better, but I had to get extended grips to do it right.
It still isn’t a great trigger. It’s a usable trigger. For it’s intended purpose.

So glad the Bullpup is more user friendly. Not a bad trigger on it, at all.
I hope they continue with this line of pistols and offer more caliber options.
It’s slightly snappy in 9mm, so a 380 version would be a sweet little gun.
And even some bigger rounds could be fun. 40 S&W, 45 Auto, etc.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Brotherhood

2 Likes

@ValorSolo

Yeah, I know Bond Arms took over making that bullpup 9 mm handgun a while back. They made it better, but still, I think it has some issues (don’t recall what, though). And, with an MSRP of $1099, street price of ???, I can wait (a bit pricey for me), especially given it is for concealed carry, self defense (yeah, you want quality, but not too pricey as you might accept for a high-end hunting rifle, for example).

Who knows where Bond Arms will take their bullpup (line of) pistols. Nonetheless, I still think of Bond Arms as a derringer-making company (with some sidelines like the bullpup).

4 Likes

I agree, this is a steep price and for most folks not worth it.
But I was intrigued by them as soon as I saw the mechanics.
Paid right at $900 for mine and it’s well worth it, in my opinion.
I have better options for carry, but will carry this occasionally.

5 Likes

@ValorSolo

Hope you get your money’s worth out of the bullpup.

4 Likes

When I was a kid visiting my grandfather he would take out his derringer and let us shoot it. No idea what kind or what caliber but at 5-6 years old it was like a cannon to me though it was probably a 22, lol. He passed before I became “aware” of guns. Never saw that gun again so I recently picked up a BA Texas Defender 357/38 more for nostalgia than anything else but damn it’s fun to shoot. I do agree the trigger is tricky and heavy. Love to watch people do the body jerk when the gun doesn’t fire when expected.

5 Likes