M*CARBO Brotherhood

Co-Witness Stock S2k 9mm Sights w/TRS 25

hey folks, having a great time down here… wanted to set up a cheap red dot to cowitness w/my s2k’s stock sights

after zeroing in at 25 yds, i slapped on a Bushnell TRS 25… this cheap red dot is kind of a crap shoot on what you’ll get, due to what i consider a design flaw: a ‘diode’ bisecting a portion of the sight picture anywhere around the clock … in my case, unfortunately, it was at the 1730 position - #@@#!

anyhow, there are a number of folks out there making recommendation regarding a QD pic rail for the sight… i went with this one:

UTG Low-Profile Compact Riser Mount, 0.5" High, 3 Slots

adjusting the elevation and windage on the red dot brought the dot to where i wanted it on the sight post…

this really helps with the sight picture… as a bonus, if the sight craps out during the session, you can still see the front post…

i was pretty satisfied… just wanted to let folks know about this combo, which works perfectly without a hassle…

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

9 Likes

Primary Arms makes a good but inexpensive red dot.

2 Likes

This is a a “better” riser - adjustable height:

2 Likes

A little off topic maybe, but I have Bushnell TRS 25 red dot on my Ruger 10/22 Takedown, and I have a Primary Arms MD-ADS red dot on my AK-47. The Primary Arms is better, but it’s more expensive. They’re both good for the price without breaking the bank. I still use both of them.

1 Like

bought the Monstrum - sorry, but it was too high and could not be lowered enough - not only that, but it cannot be modified to be lower - the cutouts are so close the edges of the pieces than any attempt renders the mount useless

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

3 Likes

will have to check out the Primary Arms red dot

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

1 Like

one ive found, that cowitnessed with no work, on the sub 2000,trueglow%2020%20mm%20triton%20 Trueglow 20mm triton. in 6 years, its went thru 2 batteries. common size, batteries, ive had it on, different guns, from 308 down, even had it on a contender 70/30 waters, 221 fireball, and 45/70 gvt. never gave a inch. has outlived 2 aimponts, comp Ms, at a quarter the price. the true glow is my fall/back dot. not the prettiest bell at the ball, but is a shooters dot. 3 color. I like the green over the red.

4 Likes

Many optics, including the Bushnell TRS 25 will co-witness 100% on the Sub 2000 with a 0.5" riser. As I cautioned in another post though, you cannot trust the manufacturer designations of low, medium and high, but instead have to look to the actual specs when purchasing. The 0.5" UTG riser Willie used is designated a “Low-Profile” riser by the manufacturer, while a 15 mm (9/16 or the near equivalent of 0.5") riser by Misugiwa is designated a “Medium Profile”. So you can’t assume that you need a “Low profile” riser for your optic. You have to research your optic and read the actual specs (height) of the mount you are considering.

Have I mentioned that much of what I’ve learned was from mistakes I personally have made? :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Well spoken’ like yourself I too have a draw of Risers that just didn’t make the Grade’ It Also seems that the different manufacturers have different Ideas for the Mounting clamp Area, then you discover a key factor the (Crowned Area) of rail that needs to addressed to on the Sub’s Forearm.

2 Likes

you got that right Diva.on the burris fastfire, using a generic QD mount, on the redlion fore-end, I ended up having to mill .065 off the fastfire shim plate, and shave .010 off the 2 alignment pins.
just so i didnt have a flat spot at 6 oclock while cowitness.
there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to Low Med and High measurements on rail mounts.

I did find if I used a GG&G cantilever QD mount, I could move the comp M aimpoint back over the receiver But it had to be removed to fold. That aspect, plus the fact its a 130$ mount, kept me from milling the ring off, and mounting a rail section, , to use the Burris prism AR scope on the Sub.

3 Likes

tks, Mr. Gob - just ordered one… will give it a ‘shot’…

:money_mouth_face:

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

3 Likes

LOL! well, i’m starting my collection too!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

3 Likes

let me know how it works for ya…

3 Likes

Mr. Gob - just to let you and other folks know - this red dot is the solution! put in on, and in less than a minute or so had the dot(s) lined up on the front sight… no riser needed… the elevation and windage screws are NOT indicated on the unit, but i was able to figure them out

(i recommend to anyone taking this red dot out of the box to go easy on twirling the adjustments at first)

now if this red dot can handle removal and reattachment without losing placement it will be a definite winner… will post some target results next week…

i like the green dot, but red is OK… dunno about blue though…

very nice to have a nice accessory for my 9mm s2k!

thank you so much!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

2 Likes

the battery is under the cover with the copper colored TG emblem on it. common available anywhere size… like you, the blue aint my favorite . never had to retweak mine for on and off, just inbetween different rifles. keep us in the loop on how it acts!

1 Like