M*CARBO Brotherhood

Cleaning the bolt tube

What is the best way to clean the bolt tube.

3 Likes

@Tigger75 welcome to the forum robert , with a shotgun muzzle mop

8 Likes

Agreed. 12 gauge works great.

6 Likes

12ga Bore Snake pulled straight out the front of the receiver half. Gets the feed ramp, too. :+1:

4 Likes

I’m planning to hone the inside of the bolt tube when I do all the internal upgrades. Nothing severe, just enough to ensure that I have a smoooooth surface. Has anybody else done this? Do y’all think it is a good idea / bad idea?? I also plan on doing the Scotch bright polishing on the bolt. Is there any danger of getting things too smooth?

4 Likes

@archibaldal Honestly if you polish you’re Bolt/Bolt extension that should be all you need. shooting mine after polishing it the bolt has been wearing to the inside of the bolt tube and gets smoother overtime. highly recommend a bolt polish :slight_smile: though if you want to hone the inside I believe @DivaMarie has done it.

2 Likes

Not really. Just don’t get so enthusiastic as to where you’re actually removing metal in any significant amounts.

6 Likes

Bolt polish? I was planning on using honing oil. My honing tool is identical to the 12 ga honing tool (2 stones) offered by Brownells — package label is for brake cylinders.

Should I use bolt polish instead? Where to find?

I might as well do it the best way possible.

2 Likes

@archibaldal: I am a firm believer in polishing my weapons components. Have even polished my CZ pistols, AR-15, K-98 Mauser, just to name a few. @Wedge said it best… don’t get so carried away and remove metal. Results would be less than satisfactory!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

@archibaldal That’s why I suggested a Ball Type Hone VS Stone Easier to keep Straight and less chance of getting Cylinder/tube out of Round,by not having it Centered in the Boar.

2 Likes

@DivaMarie plus not having tha stone’kick" in the bore Tony, and cause uneven cut because of stone load(you will see the stone wear tapered) for me, if the hone doesn’t have a tensioner knob, you cant load the stones correctly and you need to hone vertical anyway. ball hone is like honey badger. it dont care…:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Jewelers rouge, grey to cut, white or green to polish( i use the green to sharpen knives on leather)
I get mine commercially but the best place ive found for the drill buffs and rouge, plus drill extensions, is Eastwood. you can get felts or sisal.
https://www.eastwood.com

1 Like

@GOBLIN What the hell is a tensioner knob? Ain’t never seen One of them’ :grin:
Used to do a ‘‘Hell of a Cross Hatch’’ in my day with the ball Hone.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

they a spring and tension knob on the better stone hoses, that you tighten to add tension on the legs, loosen to take away tension keeps the tension even on the hone so you cant lean as easy.still has to be used vertical

1 Like

Better stone hones! Now that’s funny were talking way back! at One of them Dark& Dim Lite’ Independent shops, If you wanted more Tension then break out the rubber bands!:rofl:

1 Like

@Tigger75

Welcome to the MCarbo Brotherhood. I would spray a little Simple Green and run a 12 guage bore cleaner through it… :+1:

3 Likes