M*CARBO Brotherhood

Cleaning, ritual or burden?

As I was cleaning my rifle the other day I wondered, how many, if anybody else thinks of this as part of the ritual? A thorough cleaning after a day, or night at the range was instilled from the beginning for me. That was reinforced during my military service. I enjoy the process, deep cleaning those nooks and crannies. And the smell of Hoppe’s # 9 too. It’s the time to check over those parts that make it all work.

11 Likes

@Festus I’d say for me it’s more a ritual, though I do wish I had a more permanent work area for doing the deed. I look at it from a couple of angles, the first being that a properly cleaned and maintained firearm should have a longer service life. The next being that I had the fun and made the thing dirty through its intended use and therefore it is my responsibility to clean up after myself, accountability was enforced from a young age in my house. Plus, firearms are really cool pieces of miniature machinery and a thorough cleaning affords me time to inspect and appreciate the mechanical designs (I’m a geek like that).

9 Likes

@Festus @chilipepper I agree with both of you. But truth be told, I clean my guns when they get dirty. No rational other than I am lazy. I guess I could say I am helping the economy by my having to buy a new one more often. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

8 Likes

@Festus Ah yes’ Hoppe’s#9 Or Brk/Carb Clean and Canned Air Help in the Nooks and Crannies of the Dark Zone.

9 Likes

I used hot water dish soap and an air compressor to clean both of my mosin-nagant’s and Kimber
Solo Carry. Hoppes #9 on everything else.

7 Likes

Why on the Kimber? Well, unless you’re really shooting corrosive ammo through it…

4 Likes

its never a chore, even with black powder. its actually a way to unwind for me , mind goes into neutral muscle memory takes over. relaxing. especially on a cold or rainy day in front of a fireplace. wonnerful.
what gets me, is the amount of guys, (especially before hunting season starts, with a bolt rifle/lever action rifle, pump or auto loader shotgun) that will stop by my place right before hunting season, because their gun aint “actin right”. it (especially the lever guns) will be so crudded up with burnt powder you can here the grittiness when you jack the lever. the pumps are always almost as bad to. you ask em when the last time they cleaned the weapon was and you usually get"I clean it with the next round" OR “the Deer, they can smell that lube and cleaner a long way off”
I hear those to a lot.
I usually come back with “and they can here that lever grind a lot farther”
OR" they can smell that Budweiser your drinkin at 400M"

so I show em how to tear it down and clean it, show em how to clean and lube it,
tell em to do that at least before and after season, pat em on their head like a good dog, and send em on their way.
you can bet i will see em the following year with their buddies gun,

10 Likes

I had a hate/hate relationship. The last straw was when the firing pin was sticking and wouldn’t hit the primer.

The dawn detergent and pressure seemed to be the only way to clear the pin. So I sold it.

6 Likes

That’s a striker fired gun, right? Did you make sure the striker channel and all striker associated parts were clean and bone dry? As in brake cleaner clean/dry? Don’t know if you already know this or not, but never, ever put oil or grease or anything else similar in the striker channel or on striker parts. Strikers are relatively light and need all the velocity they can get and lube of any kind, along with accumulated dirt that gets attracted just slows it down. Sorry if you already knew all of that, but even I have to remind myself occasionally of that when I want to put a drop of oil on a striker or something. :grinning:

8 Likes

My THOROUGH CLEAN is (Simple Green) and a toothbrush… Can one really say that it does a more thorough job? Brake/Carb Clean (Hoppe’s) and start again!!! Big smiles.

6 Likes

This is where I need a constitution with a 5th amendment. I try to clean them exactly enough to stay out of trouble. I did a lot betterer when I had a dedicated place to work, but I don’t and all my firearms will soil the next patch that touches them.

I tell folks I like to confirm that they aren’t so finicky they only run in clean room environments.

I definitely don’t think of it as a burden - but I also don’t think of it as a necessity. When I do clean I’m thorough and observant.

9 Likes

I stopped by PSA last month to pick up odds and ends, cleaning /lubing ect, I was temp out of TW25B, waiting on a order to come in that was on back order for the size, so I grabbed some Froglube to get thru, 2 bottles, well I only actually grabbed one bottle of lube, the other was their cleaner degreaser, Pro grade. that stuff cleans exceptionally well. I will still use Hoppe’s #9 if for nothing else, incense( love tha smell of hoppe’s) but im definitely using/buying the FL cleaner degreaser again. one of them happy lil accidents…

8 Likes

I’ll have to say I’m pretty anal about keeping my firearms clean. It was drilled into me as a kid by my dad and the company commander in the service. I’m a tinkerer so I really kind of enjoy and take great pride in my firearms. Good cleanings also allow me to keep an eye on any components that may be wearing.

8 Likes

Thanks! Now you tell me!
That was one of several problems. FTF, stove piping, I was ready to part with it.

8 Likes

Ritual, more like an excuse to inspect my guns LOLOL.

I do tend to look them over every time i have them apart to clean!

9 Likes

@cico7 Hornady One Shot Case Lube’ WasTurned on to this by the Builder and Designer of the Rock Island 22 T.C.M. of my Gun, Because the Ammo from Overseas Plant were not Lubing Cases in Final Assembly, And alot of people were having issues with FTF, and Stove Piping Etc.
I had 1000 rounds of the stuff made in the Philippines, All my problems went away. I’ve used for years on the P.M.R 30 I’ve bought 4 of them for family etc and I don’t have Nor do they have any problems or Bit8888 with the firearm.
No Issues with my Sub 2000 Either. Just a thought for you.

7 Likes

10 Likes

Cleaning is a ritual, even if I don’t make it to the range I clean my rifles the last weekend of the month. I also run a snap cap cycle check to make sure I don’t end up embarrassed at the range or worse if I need them.

7 Likes

@Midstab, If I cleaned all of my firearms at the end of every month by the time I finished with the last one, it’d be time to start again.

9 Likes

Exactly!!!:gun: It’s both but must be done.

7 Likes