Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP)

• Dates Announced for CMP’s 2019 Advanced Maintenance Rifle Class Schedule.
    This as many of you know is for those who may have or want to purchase the great 30-06 M1-GARAND.

Also you will find information on purchasing the .45’s, ammo and much more.

The web site is: www.thecmp.org

9 Likes

@Papapaul Thanks for the link. I found it quite educational about the Garande.

The Garand is a great rifle, the M-14 is the “Son Of M-1”, I have not shot mine in several years, I need to take it to the range along with my “Elephant” gun the Enfield .303 I call it this because of the Big Round Nosed bullet it fires. When I bought my Garand back in the 1980’s, there were only two left on the shelf, so I picked the better looking of the two, I am sure I paid under $300.00 back then, maybe a little more but I doubt it.

Go to YouTube and type in Garand and you will get a lot more information, I bought a DVD a few years ago hosted by a guy I used to see on the History Channel regularly, it is called “AMERICA’S RIFLE:THE M1 GARAND”. Also includes an interview with Hector Cafferata a Medal Of Honor recipient who help off a zillion Chinese at the Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War. He was a shooting machine.

Paul

4 Likes

@Papapaul, I had only wished that I had the opportunity to ‘feed’ my interest of firearms at an earlier age! My father was a Vietnam Vet and he and I did not have the relationship that we could have at such a young age. A lot of children do miss out on those times? I have the interest now and spend a lot of time with youtube and found American Gunsmithing Institute to be a viable source for tons of information! I am not saying that one could be called a ‘gunsmith’ just by cramming all this material. I have been involved in auto mechanics all of my life. I have worked for GM as a Claims Examiner and always had my hands in any type of building. I always tinker with my guns to see how they operate and interested in making any improvements that taylor the firearms to my specific calibration. The more I speak to my BROTHERS AT ARMS the more that I get excited about my firearms! You ‘guys/gals’ are the bomb!!!

3 Likes

Don’t feel too bad about how things worked out with you and your Dad, mine traveled in order to put food on the table, even went to Viet Nam at the ripe old age of 40. We have to play the hand we’re dealt and make the best of it. I like the saying “It Could Always be Worse”, I know I could have done a LOT better with my life but at the same time, I could have done a lot worse too, so there ya go.

Are you another Jacksonville area resident ?

Paul

1 Like

@Papapaul, My ONLY regret is not ‘taking advantage’ of opportunities when they were presented to me… I like to have like racers know as FASTER REACTION TIME… lol I am residing in Baltimore, MD area. That being said, it is NOT the most gun ‘friendly’ state. My wife and I have family in Oklahoma and we have been discussing about relocating there at some point.

1 Like

I have never been to either place but if I had to choose, I would pick the place with the REAL Native Americans instead of the other place. Just sayin’.

2 Likes

@Papapaul, I so agree with you!!!

1 Like