M*CARBO Brotherhood

Citadel boss 25

I recently purchased a new Citadel Boss 25. Seemed like a good deal after a friend paid a good bit more for the VR80. The Boss comes with chokes, muzzle brake, 2 - 5 round mags, etc. It’s really only AR esque in controls and similar appearance.

I’m waiting on an RMA to return it to Legacy. Kinda dissapointed… It will fire once, reload the next round then won’t fire again till the weapon is manually cycled. The fresh, live round in the chamber ejects upon manually cycling and it will fire - once. The hammer is visible through the receiver. The hammer is not in the cocked position after the initial round is fired. After manually cycling, the hammer is cocked and it will fire - once.

I’ve tried velocities from 1250 up to 1550 FPS all with the same results.

Any ideas before I send 'er back?

3 Likes

does it have a fwd assist, Like a AR
also what does the rim look like on the ejected round, and is it reloading the next round.
sounds like your not fully cycleing the bolt.

1 Like

no fwd assist. the brass looks good. one mark from the extractor. Agree on the inadequate/short cycle but I’m not sure if I can find a hotter load. I’ve run the hottest turkey loads through it (1550 fps). Appreciate the reply.

2 Likes

2 and 3/4" or 3" magnum is it supposed to cycle?
reason i ask I used to own a SPAS-12 gas and manual operated. it would feed 3" reliably on gas operated, but on 2 3/4 " it would only on occasion would cycle with 00 buck magnum rounds. wouldn’t cycle anything below that at all.

1 Like

Thanks for the questions and interest. The shotgun is chambered for 3" but advertised as being able to run either 2.75 or 3". I have tried both. No joy…

2 Likes

you try the different magazines? just going thru simple stuff first as i cant hold it and look, whats the heaviest load you have tried to run?

1 Like

That’s strange. I have citadel boss 25 also. I’ve fired probably close to 300 rounds through it. Both bird shot and 00 buck. Not a single problem. I did disassemble the entire shotgun and clean and lube it up good before I went shooting. Put about 100 high velocity bird shot snd 50 00 buck through it the first time with out a hick up. Put another 150 bird shot through it this last weekend skeet shooting with out cleaning it at all. Didn’t have a single issue with it.

1 Like

Sounds like inadequate gas to cycle the bolt back far enough to reset the trigger. It could be a out of spec mag causing excessive drag on the bolt. But im not 100% sure. Quick test for that would be to load 1 round in the mag cycle it, remove mag, shoot it, then see if the trigger has reset. But it sounds like it needs to be sent back unfortunately.

By any chance did you pick it up from turners in Ontario CA? I was in line waiting with a guy that was picking up one of those.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. Both mags seem to do the same thing. I’ve put just one round through it and the trigger resets about 20% of the time. Run the hottest turkey loads through it. I believe if they won’t run it nothing will. Ran a few 1500 FPS slugs too. Looks like it’s going back. I live on the East Coast so that wasn’t me in Cali.

3 Likes

It came with 2 mags. They both do the same thing. Fire, cycle in a new round but you can look thru the receiver (like an AK) and see the hammer’s not reset. All my other semi-auto stuff has an audible “click” when the trigger resets. Not hearing that here. I’ve ran 1550 FPS turkey loads through it and some rompin’ stompin Berneke slugs. No joy. I’m gonna try taking it apart and doing a good cleaning and light lube. Thanks for the input.

3 Likes

from what i can delve into the gas system is a gas piston setup. says they come with a interchangeable piston for light and heavy loads. which piston you running,

4 Likes

It has the light load piston in it now. I’m sure the hammer is not cocked when it cycles after firing. I can’t get over thinking the trigger isn’t resetting. When I cycle the shotgun (no magazine or shells) the hammer cocks. If I hold the trigger down and cycle it (without mag and shells) the hammer doesn’t stay in the cocked position. If a guy could “out run the trigger” - the hammer would remain in the cocked position after firing. I can’t “out run the trigger”. When I cycle other semi-auto weapons - IE: No mag or rounds and manually cycle it, the hammer stays cocked and after I release the trigger, an audible “click” is heard as the trigger resets. I don’t hear that “click” when I cycle this shotgun. The hammer always stays cocked as long as the trigger is not depressed when it’s dry cycled. I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer so I’m probably missing something here.

2 Likes

put the heavy load piston in for what your shooting your gassing IE timing is off.
far as the not resetting when the chamber is empty and the magazine is out, My FNH 5.7 is identical. built that way . put a MT shell in like a snap cap, in the chamber and put another MT shell in the magazine and insert, see if the trigger resets.(trim the front of the shell smooth) try that

2 Likes

@lil-jeff1 welcome to the forum jeff

3 Likes