M*CARBO Brotherhood

Christmas Star - tonight 2020-12-21

I was just informed of this celestial event and wanted to let you know so you don’t miss it!

Nature’s parting gift of 2020 will be most visible for only an hour tonight—so don’t miss it.

Tonight, what is dubbed the “Christmas Star” will appear in the sky at its peak visibility. The Christmas Star isn’t actually a star at all, however. It’s two of our solar system’s largest planets–Jupiter and Saturn–which will appear closer in the sky than they have in over a century.

Officially, what is happening with the two planets is called a “great conjunction” (“great” because they are the two largest gas giants in our solar system). And because of our perspective from the earth, this great conjunction will make it appear as if the two planets are actually touching.

If you want to check out the heavenly show, here’s the best time and way to see it (via KTLA5):

• Best time: 45 minutes to one hour after sunset begins tonight, Monday, December 21.
  • Best place: Any place that has an unobstructed view of the sky—so avoid areas with tall buildings. Also, areas with low light pollution are best, such as fields away from buildings and major roadways.
  • Where to look: Up, obviously. And to the southwestern sky.

Keep in mind tonight’s great conjunction will only have optimal visibility for about an hour, so don’t forget to get outside just after your local sunset. You’ll be able to view it with the naked eye, but if you have binoculars or a small telescope, you’ll be in for an extra special treat: You should be able to see four of Jupiter’s moons orbiting the planet.

Miss it, and you’ll need to wait until 2080 to see the next great conjunction.

Quoted from… fastcompany.com

9 Likes

The clouds shut me down… Would have taken a telescope out if not.

4 Likes

Hey Jeffing65

I am in the same situation.

Overcast all day.

Glad to see some interest out there.

We are only here one time, it’s neat to be one of the humans, in decades, to witness these milestones in history

Please remove this post, it’s passed.

TYVM

2 Likes

@jeffing65 @Moosecall Juneau Sock’d In’ All I heard While Waiting was ‘’ Someone Screaming’'The Sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling! :rofl:

4 Likes

Lol

That’s great your neighborhood are sky watchers also…

3 Likes

I used my spotting scope (60x) to view it from here. Could see both planets clearly. Not a cloud in the sky. Nice and I appreciate God in allowing this gift

6 Likes

That scope should have given a good Jupiter/moons and fair view Saturn’s rings?

4 Likes

In 1986 I was 21, and didn’t get to see Hailey’s Comet, because of overcast. And I’m still “BENT” about the entire thing. LOL

Happens a lot around here it seems. Missed some of the big meteor showers and other stuff, because of perfectly timed??? high desert weather.

5 Likes

We parked on an overpass and had a clear view here in Western North Carolina.
Didn’t have a scope …:rofl:

4 Likes

Just a clear dark night makes for good viewing. :+1:

You can watch 4 of Jupiter’s moons change position daily in their rotation, with just a basic good pair of binos.

4 Likes

Hey Jeffing65

True, I missed a lot also, just no time. More recently got interested in following these as my mother now 90 keeps reminding me of these great milestones, mom’s

Seasons greetings,

Cheers,

4 Likes

Hey MH

With you on that one.

I was overcast all day.

Catch it again in 2080. Lol

Seasons greetings…

4 Likes

@Moosecall i think ile wait for the 2080 appearance

5 Likes

For those who missed it and can not wait another 60 years…

13 Likes

@dave67
Thank you! Those are great pics!!!

9 Likes

Yes thanks for posting the pics, awsome.

7 Likes

@Moosecall The planet conjunction will be visible again tonight if you have clear skies.

I’m guessing I’m out. LOL
Here right now it is “Bleeping” lousy.
The wind is blowing snow sideways at 25-35 w/50 mph gusts. The 3 weather warnings here in the valley (snow, wind, and freezing temps) last until at least 5pm tonight.

@DivaMarie There’s a 4th avalanche warning for your old stomping grounds up north.

7 Likes

Right, I totally forgot! Just checked the weather, showing clear sky tonight. :+1:

Bunker down, let that dump of crap weather pass.

Maybe I will get some photo’s to share.
Cheers,

6 Likes

Road Trip up to Mackay! See our Old Rodeo Buddy’s, :rofl:

5 Likes

I got cloud cover again, missed it again.
But, TYVM for that heads up.
Cheers,

6 Likes