M*CARBO Brotherhood

Choice Of An Optic: Sig Or Vortex?

So I can get a Sig Romeo 5XDR for $200 right now. Anyone have any pro’s or cons to it? Debating between that or the Vortex Sparc.

This will be going on a Midwest Industry twist mount. So maybe a micro dot would work better?

6 Likes

5 Likes

That’s the 5. I was looking at the 5XDR. The big difference between the 5 and 5x is battery and sight adjustment knobs. XDR has a few more bells and whistles as well

2 Likes

I’d look through one first … sig is notorious for calling something midnight, HD, XL and adding another 0 to the price…

4 Likes

Your spot on with that. I’ve had plenty of guys tell me Sig is worth it for clarity, but then vortex is great for their warranty

1 Like

I’m lookin at optics planet and see this is a good deal for the 5x. I’m seeing the only difference between the 5x and 5xdr is the 5xdr has the adjustable reticle. Both run on a single AAA battery

1 Like

That’s the deal im after. I even have a code that drops the price down $30.

1 Like

Don’t know about Sig, but Vortex has amazing customer service and a great warranty that they stand behind. Vortex optics are nice too.

If I remember it’s thought that Holosun is the OEM of the Sig Romeo. Holosun also has nice optics and great customer service.

Buy the optic you want and that fits your needs. If you don’t do it right the first time you’ll buy again. Trust me on that.

2 Likes

Found a good review by Aaron Cowling on Sage Dynamics youtube channel. He was really down on the Romeo. Gives highest rating to Trijicon good rating to Vortex https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shdhVPc3Ivg

4 Likes

So then you wouldn’t recommend sig then? I’ve heard for clarity Sig is great. But it seems like the more im reading, that Sig probably isnt the best option and that Vortex might be it…

2 Likes

Not sure about the Sparc but I’ve used a Sparc II and a 3-MOA Venom on my S2K and both worked great. I preferred the Venom because it is much smaller and keeps the overall weight down. The Sparc II now resides on my Remington Versamax tactical shotgun.

3 Likes

I’m going with reviews for gun channels that have given really good advice in the past and do not accept financial incentives.
Overall, they all seem to agree on the following:
If money is no object -Trijicon all settings one could want and stands up to brutal abuse.
leupold -good value and quality certain options not present
Vortex Viper et al very good for the price stands up to abuse but not like Trijicon
Sig Romeo no reviewer approves of quality

3 Likes

so buying a $200 RDX was a bad choice…damn it.

2 Likes

I’m no expert but I started with a $200 Burris Fastfire II for my glock just because they were on sale. The aforementioned abuse tests are 10,000 times worse than anything my gun will experience. You can get a pretty good vortex model for 225-265

3 Likes

I can get a sparc for 160. Figured that’s a good red dot to start off with

2 Likes

Don’t forget you can get the Bushnell TRS-25 red dots for around $50 right now if you’re looking for a reliable budget optic. I don’t own one, but lots of reviews and owners love them and have had great experiences with them!

2 Likes

I like my TRS 25, though it’s my first sight. Just wanted a budget sight for the Sub, and just use it for 25yd max range trips. That said, it may eventually be a home defense platform and at that point I’ll want a red dot I can leave on.

Just got an AR pistol and debating on what to put on it. Maybe a Holosun, maybe a Vortex. May switch either with the Bushnell down the line for the above reason.

3 Likes

I have 2 Holosun optics (HS403A red dot and HS510C prism sight) and I love them both! I also like my Vortex red dot (both rifle and pistol) and prism optics. Both have fantastic customer service so I don’t think you can go wrong with either brand.

3 Likes

To me the 510c is the best optic on the market right now. I had to splurge and get the green dot as soon as it was released.

4 Likes

I have limited experience with optics, and guns in general, but I would agree the HS510C is one of my favorites. If I didn’t have an astigmatism it would probably be my absolute favorite. I didn’t splurge for green because I’m not convinced it’s better to see with, for me, especially at my range where most of the back scenery is grass and foliage. I wish they would combine green and red into one optic like some other brands, but that cuts into sales and profits so it’ll probably never happen.

4 Likes