M*CARBO Brotherhood

Childhood Pellet/ BB guns

Who still has their childhood BB/ pellet gun(s)?
Here is a picture of my Crosman 760XL. It still functions nicely.

6 Likes

Sometimes I wish that I still had my Crossman .177 CO2 handgun. It was deadly accurate. I am sure that I am a ‘more’ responsible CHILD, today??? :innocent: Lol

4 Likes

Yeah, I used this one in our BB gun fights in the woods. It was before paint ball guns were around. There was no doubt when a person was hit.:grin:

5 Likes

Didn’t have a BB or pellet gun but I did have a “pop gun” and if you jammed the muzzle in the mud or dirt it was a bit like a shotgun. Stick a Black Cat fire crackers in the dirt really added to the fun. Where I “grew up”??? we had storm drains you could walk in upright so those were the battlegrounds. Bottle rockets and other projectiles ruled the tubes.

7 Likes

Ah yes. The bottle rocket wars.Roman candles worked well also until we caught the woods on fire. The fire dept. Had to come out. Not a good day after my mom got through with me. It involved a belt and a lot of wailing.

9 Likes

@em44052

Scott, my father was the disciplinarian that I had to fear until I had turned six (when he left. ) My ‘fear’ of him hadn’t left until my thirties. He had his ‘methods’ of intimidation! My mother did her best to raise two kids, who ended up ‘taxying’ us on the weekends that he had been ‘guilted’ into having us. I guess woman weren’t considered to be STRONG back in that day? So mom tried to raise us as being ‘friends…’ Since she had felt that I had needed a father figure, she had thought that the Big Brother Program was the answer… The idea was wonderful, but there weren’t enough people getting involved and the ‘waiting list’ was too long. With the help of a school guidance counselor, I got accepted to Hershey Military School. That idea got derailed when my father had found out. He then decided to become a father, except he was too busy trying to find a seraget mother for me. Bottom line, without growing up with parents, I had found myself getting in to too much trouble. When my father found his interest in the martial arts, it was actually a blessing. We both had found an activity that we could do ‘as a family…’ Well, at least I could have more adult figures guiding my future in a more positive way… My training started when I was eight and I had received my Shodan (1st degree) black belt in Tae Kwon Do just prior to my 15th birthday! It was a good thing that I did not STORM off into the battle grounds with BB/pellet guns. That ‘path of destruction’ probably would have landed me in a bad place, for sure! My FAMILY became too large and (watchful) to keep me out of harms way! :checkered_flag::pray:

7 Likes

Lonewolf, I am glad you were able to find a constructive outlet in your life inTae Kwon Do. I am sure your father leaving at 6 had a profound impact on you and your family’s life.

Don’t get me wrong, I had a reletively good childhood until 9 or 10. My dad was not always around because I found out later that he was leaving to go see other women. He cheated on my mom and would leave weeks or even months at a time and my mom put up with it until they divorced when I was 14.

My mom could swing switch, belt, paddle, or shoe soul with the best of them, but my spankings were well deserved (my brother probably deserved them more).We have a good relationship and I would not change growing up being her son.

5 Likes

Yup still ahve it to this day, a basic daisy pellet bb gun, got it when I was in middle school I am now 42 and still have it and still use from time to time, not as much as I did when I was younger, got to be a dang good shot with it too. At some point it didn’t like to shoot pellets they would jam up take a couple shots to get them out, so I just used with bb’s. May be why I am a good shot with a gun is all the practice I had with my bb gun I got a good eye for shooting, but now not so much as my eyes aren’t as good as they use to be but I still can be a good shot.

6 Likes

@em44052

Right on! My dad was the same (womanizer) back in the day. I had caught him early one morning, right in front of OUR home, parked with a younger woman from the Karate School, later realizing that she was ‘performing an unspeakable’ nasty… :thinking::thinking:DUH… From that point, I grew up knowing that I would become a ‘better man’ and NEVER disrespect any woman that I would be involved with!!! I ‘always’ were true to my woman, never raising a hand, always monogamous, and always putting them first. I even ‘invested’ many hours by watching those (2) sisters, Drs’ Berman and Berman that had a talk show of how a woman should be treated (kind of like reading a book, ‘Sex For Dummies…’) I learned at a young age that if you are concerned about a woman’s needs first, you will have your pleasures fulfilled beyond your wildest dreams… Now, in my fifties and being with my wife for 7 years and totally happy, which my father NEVER achieved. Unfortunately, my mother adored my wife to the point of not ‘asking her only son why his marriage failed’ and sided with her when she divorced me and separated my family (daughter then 3,) and moved 1800 miles away to Colorado Springs in 98.’ She chose to look at it as, ‘like father like son…’ Wow, did that hurt when all I did was NOT BE LIKE MY FATHER! If she had only ‘attempted’ to communicate with me/listen to what I had to say (not like I had not tried to open lines of communication and even write to her…) My daughter now 22 and an RN has a ‘solid foundation’ and knows about her father has misgivings about her mother because she knows the TRUTH… I have NEVER ‘badmouthed’ the Dynamic Duo… I have ‘always’ given the proper credit as deserved and also the personal space that they need… It may be just that that they request but it does not necessarily pacify all parties involved? I can only pray and continue to be the person that I am… Otherwise, my life is fulfilled (Creator, being the biggest part!) :pray:

2 Likes

@dirtrider73068

As you are ‘aging’ like the rest of us, make sure that you remain ‘honest’ with yourself… At one point, no matter how much practice you have and how many years you get under your belt be sure to admit (only to yourself, of course) that when the day comes that you CANNOT SHOOT YOUR WAY OUT OF A PAPER BAG that you have the capability to succumb to your ‘disability’ and ‘very quietly say,’ I CANNOT SHOOT FOR SH8T… I am in my fifties now and I have difficulties maneuvering my 2009 Toyota Sienna that my wife ‘had’ to finance! :smiley: (I was too proud to discuss that I have been ‘discouraged’ by how my aging has affected my reaction times and my poor eye sight doesn’t help. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

@lonewolf I am always honest with myself, ageing is part of life, we just have to accept it, and I am one of those that do. I am not afraid to say it either. I will admit and say at night is when my eyes give the most trouble lights, glare just eat me up so I try not to drive at night if I can help, if I do I go carefully into the night and go slow, when its raining at night its worse, all part of ageing, nobody needs to be afraid to admit it.

3 Likes

@dirtrider73068

Big smiles. I REALLY don’t… It is just ‘refreshing’ to HEAR others admission… Many people find it a hard pill to swallow… My wife is too hard-headed when it comes to admission. Unfortunately, her heard-headedness has insurance increases that ‘kick our booty!’ So, I am the ’ bad guy’ and make her pay the difference… Her lack of ‘pocket change’ MAKES her admit that her ‘aging’ needs to be considered every time she gets behind the wheel that she has to become ‘more conscientious’ of EVERYTHING… :thinking:

2 Likes

@em44052

Do I see a pattern here? :thinking::wink:

7 Likes

LOL. Fortunately I did not continue in that pattern. My mom was able to beat some sense into me. We did have a lot of fun in those woods though.

5 Likes

Lonewolf, amen to that. If it were not for Christ, my life would have no meaning and I would not have hope. Without Him, I would not have been able to forgive my dad, learn from his mistakes, and break the pattern. I am by no means close to perfect, but despite my imperfections and sin; He has forgiven me. Gd has blessed me with a beautiful family, a church home, and an eternal home with Him.

4 Likes

@em44052

As ‘we’ say in Lakota, Aho (Blessings.) May you and yours walk in Creator’s love and light (Wakan’ Tankan’ Kici Un.)

2 Likes

Yeah, I do understand. At 78, I still try to “run & gun”. Still try to maintain “situational awareness”, etc. But the eyes are going, the hands shake more now, and I hope now that there will be no self-defense combat. If so, then I will have to win it fast, cause I tire out really quick now.
So why keep gunning?? Not gonna be a victim, I will go down fighting and fer dang sure will hurt the other guy. But, beyond the defiant tirade, I just enjoy trying to hang on to my skills.

3 Likes

Russ, you are not to old to still be shooting, I helped qualify a group for their LTC here in Texas and the Gentleman I was with was a MArine Corps WWII vet shooting a Colt .45 1911. I will try to post the picture of the target as like I told him, I am about 2/3 your age and I wish I could still that well
Tom

5 Likes

Well that is encouraging news that will keep me trying. As I explained to friends, heck I’m just reaching my second childhood. :laughing::laughing:

4 Likes

I received my first Daisy Red Ryder BB gun for my 5th birthday in 1946. I had to hold the stock between my feet to get enough strength to cock it. I became the scourge of pigeons, sparrows, rats, mice and any other unwanted critter on the farm. I wore a BB gun out every year and got a new BB gun for my birthday until I was 10. That was the year when I became big enough to take my Rem Mdl 24 .22 rifle out by myself.
I still have a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun, albeit not my original one. I bought what was alluded to be an exact copy of the original BB gun a few years ago. It wasn’t/isn’t. The BB loading port is not the same as the ones I wore out every year, to include one Daisy pump style BB gun. After a while the barrel would fly out nearly every time it was shot. And loading the spring tensioned BB magazine on the barrel was a pain. But it did have a little more power.
I bought a Gamo Big Cat several years ago in .177 cal. I have a 4x Simmons 44 Mag scope on it, and it is deadly on chipmunks out to 30 yards or so. It is good practice in keeping my off hand shooting my .22s up to snuff.
That first BB gun taught me how to wing shoot and become an awesome instinctive shooter. My years are catching up on me a little bit [OK, quite a bit…], but I am still a pretty fair shot with rifle, handgun and shotgun.
Love those BB and pellet guns.

3 Likes