M*CARBO Brotherhood

Cheap, Homemade Targets

I was at the range last Saturday and a buddy of mine brought something like this to shoot at with the 22’s. So I made one myself, but can’t claim credit for the idea.

A simple 2 x 4 with golf balls on tees. I was wondering if anyone else has any cheap, easy to make ideas to break up the monotony of punching holes in paper. Because I gotta say, it was kinda fun.

10 Likes

for a while we were gluing paint balls to a similar device that had different length deck screws screwed into it. made it a challenge when you move it from 50 to 100m with a scoped 22. lil mucilage glue let it dry for a few min, and next round…

10 Likes

Found a few of these on some lawns in the Fall, kinda rare around here. I figured they were free so it didn’t cost a me a penny. Everyone at the range wants one.

19 Likes

Ping pong balls would be cheaper unless you’re collecting golf balls from the water traps.

@TexasEskimo those signs aren’t free by a ‘long shot’ - we’re gonna be paying for them for a long time to come.

21 Likes

@phuzzy42
You’re probably right on that. I happen to be in the category of having over 100 golf balls on hand, and pretty much don’t bother to golf anymore. So for me, it was free material. But they would last longer than ping pong balls.

7 Likes

@TexasEskimo
Funny, those signs were pretty rare in Pennsylvania too, other than Philly and I’m sure Pittsburgh. Somehow he won the state. But I’m SURE there were no voter irregularities with the Democratic governor running this state. Just sayin…

11 Likes

Wedo the same 2x4 idea, but since we use a ton of aerosol cans at work, we use nails instead of Tees, and the aerosol can lids sit right on the nails. They dance pretty good when you hit them.

7 Likes

When the local Safeway store had 2 liter bottles of soda on sale for a $2.00 each. We ended up buying 20 bottles and did some Hickok 45 shooting of sodas. Not necessarily cheap, but fun!!!

7 Likes

Don’t forget the free MCARBO targets…:boom::boom::boom::grin:

8 Likes

Also theres the old pop can on a tree branch option…

7 Likes

WT?, I didn’t get any of these in my orders.

Is this a new deal or blast from the past?

5 Likes

@Moosecall Came with all the great products I bought from MCARBO…:grin:

A good ol “Mountain Momma” told me her daddy taught her how to shoot the ol way…his “free” targets are dandelions…when you can hit a dandelion you’re good…:boom::boom::boom:

She showed me some others tricks too…:eyes::tongue::kissing:

5 Likes

OK, This winter I was appointed the “can you get rid of this, I bought a new one” person, and instead thought to use it as a multipurpose target shooting stand.

1. Holds several hard plastic phone line insulators which are fun to shoot. 22. LR is perfect, the SUB2K kind of messes them up but haven’t destroyed any completely yet (yes, I know what your thinking, I do hit them from time to time) LOL.
  2. An adjustable stand/bench. Set up in a folding chair or inverted pail behind and adjust to perfect height. Can also add padding and bagging for stabilization.

I’m going to get some razzing, but it actually works very well for a cheap light foldable adjustable thing. I wonder how it works for ironing cloths???

NOTE: only used on a private outdoor range, no bag over head required.

Cheers,

7 Likes

My personal favorite target is a ream of the cheapest copy paper & posted notes ( any size you like ) stapled in the center of the copy paper.

7 Likes

The signs I saw already had holes in them including birdshot. :smile:

8 Likes

Paper plate, covered with fluorescent orange duct tape. Spray paint flat black, attach to 18" X 24" backer. Home made reactive target.

10 Likes

These are FAR from free. They cost me a ton of money to get…

EDIT: @Moosecall I would send you some of these across the border but I am sure that would be considered illegal trafficking and I would get a no-knock from Homeland Security.

10 Likes

No worries, don’t want any no-knocking by any means.

I’ll keep plugging away at these insulators.

5 Likes

I’ll take some free MCARBO targets off your hands…:raising_hand_man:
and I live in the “Ununited Snakes of Americana”…:grin::boom::boom::boom:

5 Likes

I’ll have to find them and I’ll message you for an address if you are serious.

Until then just print this one up…

8 Likes