M*CARBO Brotherhood

Chassis to charger conversion

Hi everyone, I have been looking at my PC carbine chassis and it seems to have the same receiver bracket as the PC Charger - it just has the Magpul stock attached.

Is it possible to somehow order a charger barrel /hand guard assembly, remove the Magpul stock and have a PC Charger? See picture below.

Interested in what others think - would love to order a charger barrel / hand guard and swap in an SB tactical folding stock.



That would be very illegal in the US. We can make pistols into rifles and back into pistols. We cannot make rifles into Pistols.

You can accomplish your objective and swap on the Charger barrel by filing a Form 1 and paying $200 Tax to create a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR).

I’m not a lawyer but I don’t want you in trouble.


No, I don’t want to do anything that is not allowed - I thought if you changed the barrel it would no longer be a long gun but rather a pistol like the charger - but I’m not a lawyer either so I guess it is not a good idea :frowning:

1 Like

@Norm … trust me. It’s a great idea.

The part that I don’t understand is - is my gun (PC Carbine Chassis model) a rifle because that is how it is registered or is it a rifle because of its configuration?

I figured (in my head) the configuration determined the type of weapon it is - so (again in my head) removing the stock and swapping the shorter barrel on would make it identical to a PC Charger.

Seems like you could have two guns for the cost of a barrel / hand guard - but not something I would ever do if it was illegal.

I’m not sure where you are located. Irregardless of registration details in your location, the 4473 background thing identified it as a rifle. That is what NiCS authorized the FFL to release to the original purchaser.

So, it is forever a rifle based on its original configuration. It cannot become a pistol. But for $200, you can configure it as you like (Form 1) unless your locals are infringing. You do give up freedoms with an SBR - interstate travel authorization is the big ugly surrendered right.


Thanks, that helps me understand - also makes me wish I had purchased a charger since it seems like it would be OK to add a carbine barrel…


As @Dred said, you have a rifle in the eyes of the law therefore it will always be a rifle. If you add a short barrel to it, it becomes a SBR and will require a Form 1.
A Charger, however, is a pistol in the eyes of the law, so you can add a longer barrel without changing its status.
So yes, a Charger would be the way to go if you want to swap barrels on a regular basis, legally that is.