M*CARBO Brotherhood

Charging handle

The charging handle on my Keltec 2000 is very hard to pull back. Before someone tells me to eat my Wheaties I really don’t think that is the problem. It’s just very hard to charge. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks brotherhood

5 Likes

How many rounds have you shot through it? I know mine was a little stiff until I broke it in.

6 Likes

I haven’t shot it much that’s probably the problem. Sounds like I need to spend more time at the range. Thank you sir.

6 Likes

Maybe put some dry lube in the bolt tube. And bolt. If you haven’t already.

6 Likes

Thank you I will try that.

3 Likes

@captk Check the bolt for scratches. The receiver tube may have sharp edges in it causing a hard pull back.

5 Likes

I will check that. Thanks

2 Likes

@captk Turn it upside down so that the charging handle is up. draw back the charging handle and see if there is a shiny line from the handle to the end of the slot. If there is, the bolt has impacted the front of the slot and caused a burr on the inside (and probably the outside) of the tube. You can use a chainsaw file to file it down on the inside. I did this to mine. When the barrel is in the battery position the bolt face will impact the chamber and not let the handle impact the front of the slot. when in the folded position the handle slams the front of the slot and deforms the metal. Hope this helps.

6 Likes

@occamurphy Welcome to the Brotherhood. Don’t forget to go to the First Post Here: Introduce Yourself! thread and say Hi to everybody.

1 Like

Thank you I will check this out.

1 Like

@occamurphy

Welcome to the MCarbo Brotherhood, Larry!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Larry! @occamurphy

2 Likes

@occamurphy welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Take the Bolt out … See it the bolt is hanging up as it runs through the tube …
There is a chance that the stem on the handle is smacking up against the ends of the slot
in the tube which could cause it to “kurl” … causing a burr that folds down inside the tube, just enough to hang the bolt up as it travels past that area … It could happen on both ends of the slot so you might want to check this as well …

3 Likes

I took the two bolt parts out and smoothed them out with 1000 grit emery cloth and took a 12 gauge brush and gave the inside of the tube a good deburring, seems much smoother. This I did give a light coating of Remington dry lube.

3 Likes

@smokinJoe Happy Birthday Joe.

1 Like

Thank you !

2 Likes

@smokinJoe Nothing is so inviting as a painted cinderblock building with a Bud Light sign in the window…when does happy hour start?

2 Likes

man, they are happy in there all the time. Not my place, a buddy calls me SmokinJoe and went by this place a couple years ago and snapped a pic for him.

1 Like