M*CARBO Brotherhood

Charging handle won’t hold open?

I just installed the recoilless charging handle with the locking pin, and also installed the recoil buffer and now my charging handle is about a quarter inch from the notch to hold it to the side is this normal? Will the rifle wear on any parts because of this? The handle still charges the weapon and cocks the hammer it just won’t hold to the side

1 Like

@Jamessweatshirt223

I have the Recoiless Charging Handle and the Bolt Buffer and my charging handle does go all the way back and lock in to the notch with no issue, something might not be aligned properly?

1 Like

is the spring not over its keeper? tear down and reassemble

1 Like

Its possible the locking pin isnt entirely in the handle shank hole?
Which version of the locking pin do you have, captured by the spring, or loose? Either way, its still pretty tough to get aligned. I have the same setip, and even with everything assembled correctly, still pretty tight at the back trying to lock back the handle into the slot. If you pull hard enough you should be able to get it.
My thinking is that donut needs to wear in a bit… assuming you dont accidentally have two buffer donuts installed?

1 Like

I agree with @Stircrayzy
The recoil spring/locking pin may not be fully seated. Absent an out of spec item, I do not think a single buffer donut would prevent locking back. Given the adjustability of the stock, there is some tolerance built into the system anyway. One other long shot possibility - are the bolt and weight properly interlocked or have you inserted them separately? If the latter, that might cause the problem.

2 Likes

The problem was that I didn’t replace the end cap on the recoil spring with the locking pin for the charging handle, I replaced the end cap and everything functions perfectly!!

6 Likes

tear down and reassemble usually fixes it, good job, we’ve all been there.

2 Likes

How did you replace the end cap?