M*CARBO Brotherhood

Charging Handle resistance

When I got the Sub 2000 one thing I noticed right away was when pulling back on the charging handle to load the chamber, I had to pull back hard on the handle to get it to charge. Is this normal? Is it supposed to be like that? And does the Recoilless Charging Handle take care of that issue? If not, what else can I do to make it easier to pull the charger? Thanks.

5 Likes

What i noticed when first operating mine is that the bolt & tube are not very smoothly interacting, so you may feel some drag because of that, and feel free to lubricate liberally. The spring provides all the tension though, and will probably get easier as you break everything in.
The recoiless handle may make that pull feel easier, but wont change the actual effort required.

3 Likes

Shoot it.

It gets easier. The charging handles relieve the grip. But it loosens up a fair bit with use.

4 Likes

@Dred @Stircrayzy Ah I see, just need more breaking in time. Thanks!

3 Likes

Same thing with mine. I put the MCARBO two finger grip w/pads charging handle on and it helped a bit, other than that I run the bolt really wet with hoppes #9. every couple of hundred rds or so I notice it is starting to get a bit better. And to clarify, when I say wet it doesnt mean dripping off. it means well coated with a bit added to the inside of the buffer tube before reassembly.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. To me, Hoppes is a powder solvent. I have it, but I’ve only used it to uncover rifling in some seemingly never cleaned rifle bores.

The lube suggestion makes absolute sense. I would favor a “dry” lube from my inventory for this application. I use Eezox for this purpose.

@Rob2 … I’m thinking you choose Hoppes as a form of firing line air freshener?

5 Likes

Two things help. Lube (dry lube) and the double handle. Before I did those 2 things I stuck the butt of the rifle on the bathroom scales and pushed down on the handle. It read close to 40 Lbs. to push it all the way. That is really hard on one finger!

5 Likes

Yes, it’s normal. This is a blowback weapon and the recoil spring has to be stout. You can make the tube less ‘gritty’ by checking for burrs, especially around the charging handle slot, and filing them down, and by polishing it with fine steel wool. That’s not going to make it much easier to pull but does reduce wear.

The extended charging handle gives you more leverage and grip but no reduction of recoil. The recoiless charging handle gives better grip but no extra leverage or recoil reduction.

I don’t use Hoppe’s No. 9 for lubrication, it’s only a cleaner - you’d have to use gun oil after using Hoppe’s. Maybe @Rob2 was mistaking it for CLP which is a cleaner and lubricant. I use silicone spray lube that dries - it doesn’t attract dirt, burnt powder, etc. IMO using a lot of lube during break-in (the first 200-300 rounds) makes sense but after that is probably not a good idea. It won’t hurt anything but it doesn’t really help either, and is messier.

5 Likes

Folks, great read here and great question/answer of which I hadn’t realize overall the charging handle resistance variances.
I really like the way it’s set up, but being a novice just went with it out of the box, bought the recoil buffer but never installed it yet, I have no strong issue with the recoil.
As mentioned herein, for me I’ve always use a wet lubricant and never even thought of using a dry lubricant and now would like to know more about that, for example, does it make a difference. I’ve grown fond of G96, I put that Shot on everything.
It appears I am limiting my options over all theses years. I just stick with what works for me.
Your thoughts???

5 Likes

Perfect, answered my question.

4 Likes

I misspoke. The recoiless charging handle does give recoil reduction and is easier to grip, but no extra leverage.

4 Likes

@dred,@phuzzy42,

. I have also been known to use CLP and Fluid Film as well. I have been playing around to find what works best for me

6 Likes

It does smell really nice, Like victory. lol I clean my guns every time they are at the range. Gunk never gets a chance to build up. I have looking at dry lubes lately as well

7 Likes

I moved to Eezox because it is a wicked good corrosion preventative and I live in the birthplace of humidity. It is also a wicked awesome dry lube that I’ve been using in place of traditional lubes.

5 Likes

@Dred Is this the dry lube product to which you are referring?

https://smile.amazon.com/Eezox-Premium-Synthetic-Care-spray/dp/B00BAZQ6PM/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=eezox&psr=PDAY&qid=1602603651&s=prime-day&sr=1-1-catcorr&th=1&psc=1

8 Likes

Yes. I also use the non pressurized can in concert with a shaving brush 'cause most firearms only need a few drops TOTAL.

Let it slow you down. Letting it dry is part of proper application.

6 Likes

I like what your selling, I will investigate resourcing some here in CDN.
This I found interesting, appears this product would even work in space from 450°F to -95°.
Nice

4 Likes

Great for shaving, great for gun cleaning. I don’t use the good ones on the guns, though. Something like the “portable” one below are handy, they tend to get oily but since you can stow the brush head inside the handle, it keeps things a little cleaner.

5 Likes

4 Likes

I inquired about getting some dry-lube as suggested.

Talked to a supplier today. He said that dry lube is primarily meant for semi-automatic (repeaters) rifles.
What percentage of that statement, in your opinion, is true?

Thanks,

2 Likes